DVDVR Message Board

MLB - JULY 2017

RIPPA

Random things

- Yanks are calling up Todd Frazier

- Marlins will supposedly be sold by the end of the month

- Red Sox released Allen Craig

- David Price and Dennis Eckersley got into some sort of argument

- Benches cleared between the Dodgers and Padres which somehow lead to Dave Roberts shoving Andy Green

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Random things

- Yanks are calling up Todd Frazier

- Marlins will supposedly be sold by the end of the month

- Red Sox released Allen Craig

- David Price and Dennis Eckersley got into some sort of argument

- Benches cleared between the Dodgers and Padres which somehow lead to Dave Roberts shoving Andy Green

Yankees are calling up Clint Frazier. Todd Frazier is still with the White Sox.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Dave Roberts shoving Andy Green led to the benches clearing, not the other way around. Jose Pirela doubled, and then he and Alex Wood had words, leading to both benches being warned. The umps wouldn't explain the reasoning behind the warnings until after the inning was over, and as Green was walking away from that conversation, Green said something that set Roberts off and he went after him. Doc was fucking HEATED over whatever was said, and before he went down the tunnel to the clubhouse, he stood on the top step and did this:

iYHPDho.gif

Andy Green claims that Wood told Pirela he was going to drill him in his next AB, which I can certainly see why it would get shit popping. Roberts claims that Green made "pointed comments" about Alex Wood, which I can only imagine means that Green probably said that Wood should watch out when he comes to the dish. 

The warnings didn't mean shit anyway, Clayton Richard hit Justin Turner and didn't get the thumb. Just a bunch of knuckleheads just acting silly about a baseball game, same as always.

Guys, it looks like Bartolo is coming home!!! His 8.00 ERA would instantly make him like the second or third best option in our bullpen.

And Angel Hernandez is suing MLB

Angel Hernandez, a big league umpire for nearly 25 years, sued Major League Baseball on Monday alleging racial discrimination.

In a complaint filed in US District Court in Cincinnati, the 55-year-old Hernandez, who was born in Cuba and lives in Florida, alleges MLB chief baseball officer Joe Torre “has a history of animosity towards Hernandez stemming from Torre’s time as manager of the New York Yankees”.

As evidence of the alleged discrimination, the suit cites Hernandez’s lack of World Series assignments in the past decade and baseball not promoting Hernandez to crew chief. MLB has declined to comment on the suit.

Hernandez cites criticism by Torre in 2001 that Hernandez “seems to see something nobody else does” and “I think he just wanted to be noticed over there.”

The complaint alleges Hernandez received positive evaluations for most of his big league career, which began in 1993, but says “following Torre’s arrival in Major League Baseball’s front office in 2011, the notion that Hernandez ‘just wanted to be noticed’ permeated Hernandez’s yearly evaluations, as did Torre’s general negative attitude towards Hernandez.” Hernandez worked the World Series in 2002 and 2005 but not since. Hernandez worked last year’s NL Championship Series along with Division Series in 2011, 2012 and 2015.

Other than Alfonso Marquez, who worked the World Series in 2011 and 2015, the suit says “the other 34 umpires assigned to the World Series during Torre’s time in the office of the commissioner have been white.”

“The selection of these less qualified, white individuals over Hernandez was motivated by racial, national origin and/or ethnic considerations,” the suit says.

In addition, the suit claims Hernandez has served as a temporary crew chief and applied four times to be a permanent crew chief, and “all 23 umpires promoted to crew chief since 2000 have been white.”

Question: how many non white umpires are there in MLB? I'm just curious because it feels like they are almost all white when I watch a game. Regardless I do feel confident in saying the idea that Joe Torre is a racist is complete bullshit. 

I'm always fascinated by sports refereeing. Who does the evaluations? What are the criteria? Is it Torre personally, or is there a whole team?

At any rate, my snap reaction is that there's more in the personal animosity angle than the race angle; although I don't know how umpires as a whole break down by race.

So reportedly (at least via Buster Olney) the Tigers asking price for Justin Verlander is huge and that Detroit will pay none of his contract either

In case you didn't know...

The righty is owed roughly $13.6MM for the remainder of this season, $28MM in both 2018 and 2019, and a $22MM vesting option for 2020 that is guaranteed if Verlander has a top-five finish in the 2019 Cy Young Award voting.

So good luck with that Tigers

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I hope the defense is just showing how poor a home plate umpire he is.

My theory after seeing this is that he is trying to force them to give him a promotion as well as make it impossible to fire him. But if I were his lawyer I'd just point to Joe West and say "I rest my case".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I hope the defense is just showing how poor a home plate umpire he is.

And how terrible he is at video reviews of home runs. 

48 minutes ago, sabremike said:

My theory after seeing this is that he is trying to force them to give him a promotion as well as make it impossible to fire him. But if I were his lawyer I'd just point to Joe West and say "I rest my case".

That's a pretty strong argument. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sabremike said:

Question: how many non white umpires are there in MLB? I'm just curious because it feels like they are almost all white when I watch a game. Regardless I do feel confident in saying the idea that Joe Torre is a racist is complete bullshit. 

They are almost all white. Off the top of my head I can think of Hernandez, Laz Diaz, CB Bucknor, Adrian Johnson and Kerwin Danley as non-white umps. And to be honest with you, I might have just named all of them. 

Yep I think you got them all, actually.

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

If I were the judge and he made this argument I'd find in his favor immediately.

It certainly seems like the perfect counterpunch for when MLB tries to make a merit/performance based argument why Hernandez never gets crew chief status/world series assignments (which would otherwise be a very easy argument to make).

22 hours ago, just drew said:

Freddie Freeman back for Braves tonight with a John Cena-esque recovery time. Starting at 3B.

Nice. I have Freddie Freeman on one of my four fantasy teams. I've had Travis Shaw, whose having his best season, filling in for him. Shaw has 1B & 3B eligibility, which Freddie Freeman will also have after four more games at third.