DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 ANIMATED GIF THREAD

That is some next level acting if Omega found a way to quell the temptation to even crack a smile.  That or he doesn't care for Yano's antics, but I'm betting on the former.  Either way Omega's fucking awesome and I hope he never leaves New Japan, dude's a treasure there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Beech27 said:

For all that I enjoyed Naito and Ibushi trying to end one another, this was probably my favorite spot of the night.

tumblr_ot8udoKOpd1u1ljrzo1_540.gif

Jado air-balling the hot tag to Yano was pretty great too. 

• Like 1

No matter how many I've seen that so far I can't figure out how he did it without screwing it up.  I'd suggest seeing somebody do that now but I can see that going very badly if attempted at a show.

On 7/19/2017 at 11:29 AM, mattdangerously said:

Botched Frankensteiner aside, this was a great little feud.

If I recall, the botched Frankensteiner separated Norton's shoulder and he was out for a few months, hence the inexplicable attempt at an Ice Train singles run.

10 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

If I recall, the botched Frankensteiner separated Norton's shoulder and he was out for a few months, hence the inexplicable attempt at an Ice Train singles run.

One of several!  I was watching a WCWSN from the other day and did not remember Ice Train being around and getting a small push in 1993 so I checked his Wikipedia page and it's a real bizarre run.  

-July 1993, debuts in WCW winning a handicap match.  Has a small run where he teams up with Ron Simmons and has a shot at the tag titles, only to lose when he falls for a Missy Hyatt-feinged injury.  Has an undefeated streak going but loses to Simmons in January 94.
-Wrestles in Catch Wrestling, the Austrian/German fed from 94 to 96
-1996 returns to WCW in what sounds like an awful match

returned to WCW on the February 14, 1996 edition of Saturday Night in a match against Scott Norton. The match ended in a double countout when both men clotheslined each other, knocking themselves out in the process.[6] After the match, the two shook hands and Norton declared to announcer Gene Okerlund that he and Ice Train would become a formidable tag team because of their similar in-ring styles.

-'Fire and Ice' lasts a few months before Norton and Train start feuding.  Norton joins NWO, Train kicks around WCWSN and Worldwide, gets Teddy Long for a manager (The kiss of death for any mid-90s WCW wrestler).
-Returns to Catch Wrestling in 1997/98
-Is presumably on the indies but nothing listed for 1999 or 2000.
-Re-appears in WCW in 2000 as Ernest Miller's limo driver, re-named M.I. Smooth (Russo!)
-Retires shortly after WWE buys out WCW.

It's weird that his career involved just two places, and the way he'd get pushed, disappear, come back and get pushed, disappear.

I remember him and Norton feuding and both doing the full nelson I believe. If I recall they had a PPV singles match that was bizarrely watchable.

Edit: Huh, they had a submission match at War Games. That's likely the one I'm recalling.

24 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I remember him and Norton feuding and both doing the full nelson I believe. If I recall they had a PPV singles match that was bizarrely watchable.

Edit: Huh, they had a submission match at War Games. That's likely the one I'm recalling.

I believe Norton was using some kind of armbar and that's what he used to get Ice Train to submit.