DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING PHOTOS

Luke Harper's next gimmick will be in Chikara.

Just kidding.  Not sure Chikara will be able to afford him after a multi-year run on the main roster.  I imagine he'll have a decent asking price when/if he goes back to the indys.

I have no memory of Konnan dressed as Megaman.  What's the story behind that?

http://www.wwe.com/classics/konnan-on-max-moon

WWECLASSICS.COM: Where did the idea for the Max Moon character come from?

KONNAN: Here I was a Hispanic bi-lingual wrestler in 1991 and back then they didn’t know how important the Latin demographic was. In no way did me being Hispanic ever come up. We were just shooting around ideas and I told him that when I was wrestling in Japan, I saw this Japanese anime cartoon robot on TV that shot confetti and fire. He asked if I knew anybody that could design it. By chance, I knew a guy in Los Angeles who was a designer. Vince is a merchandising genius and he loved it. I told him I wanted to fly into the ring.

WWECLASSICS.COM: What was your schedule like once WWE signed you to a contract?

KONNAN: I was working in Mexico at the time, so I had to pick up the outfit in Los Angeles, then fly from Los Angeles with four or five big boxes with the robot head, arms, legs and chest piece to wherever we were going. I specifically remember, one time, we had at a show at the Cape Cod Melody Tent. So I flew from Los Angeles to Boston, waited for the boxes, got a cab, put the boxes in the cab and then drove from Boston to Cape Cod and got all of the boxes unloaded. It was a pain.

WWECLASSICS.COM: What happened once you got to each arena with the costume?

KONNAN: Vince would come out to the ring with me and would watch me walk like a robot in the costume. He said, “I want you to dance.” And I thought, “This guy’s gotta be kidding me.” And he said, “I said dance!” So I danced in the outfit. Little did I know at the time, this was spurring a lot of jealousy with the other wrestlers, because Vince didn’t spend that much time doing anything like that with anybody. And he invested $13,000 in this outfit. That was a lot of money back then. The wheels had already begun turning in some wrestlers’ heads. That was part of the reason I got fired, but it was also my own undoing.

• Like 3

Every pic of Konnan in the suit just looks like he's begging for help.

I remember being dead excited to see Max Moon because it was getting so much hype in the WWF magazine and then I never ever saw him wrestle

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Every pic of Konnan in the suit just looks like he's begging for help.

I remember being dead excited to see Max Moon because it was getting so much hype in the WWF magazine and then I never ever saw him wrestle

Really he was on some of the early Raw episodes. 

WOW.  I honestly had no idea that there was an actual complete mech costume.  I always thought the costume was what we saw with Diamond: just arm gauntlets and a backpack.  Holy shit.

So Konnan left/was fired in part because he didn't want to lug all that shit around.  And then they gave his replacement a much smaller outfit, like, "hey yeah, maybe Carlos had a point there."

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

WOW.  I honestly had no idea that there was an actual complete mech costume.  I always thought the costume was what we saw with Diamond: just arm gauntlets and a backpack.  Holy shit.

I get the feeling that once the guy in the gimmick found out it was his responsibility to lug that thing across the country, it quickly became the gauntlets and backpack.  At least now adays, they could throw that in a production truck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

I get the feeling that once the guy in the gimmick found out it was his responsibility to lug that thing across the country, it quickly became the gauntlets and backpack.  At least now adays, they could throw that in a production truck.

Maybe they gave Diamond the entire suit and then he showed up at the taping with just a few pieces , telling Vince he dog ate the rest.  The Undertaker "flag overcoat" excuse.

17 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Maybe they gave Diamond the entire suit and then he showed up at the taping with just a few pieces , telling Vince he dog ate the rest.  The Undertaker "flag overcoat" excuse.

Similarly, Animal said that Hawk told Ellering to "lose" Rocco and that was the end of that gimmick. Hawk also hated the airbrushed LOD 2000 helmets and threw his into the crowd at a house show.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Now I want to know what happened to the costume. I would bet that it's in the big WWE warehouse where they keep everything because DAMMIT I PAID MORE THAN HIS SALARY FOR THAT PAL

Shane's kids probably fight over who gets to wear it on Halloween

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Similarly, Animal said that Hawk told Ellering to "lose" Rocco and that was the end of that gimmick. Hawk also hated the airbrushed LOD 2000 helmets and threw his into the crowd at a house show.

Ellering said on JR's podcast that Rocco is hanging on the wall at his house. Whether he was being sarcastic or not, I do not know.

5 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Ellering said on JR's podcast that Rocco is hanging on the wall at his house. Whether he was being sarcastic or not, I do not know.

I now picture Rachel growing up with nightmares from Rocco's eyes watching her as she slept.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Hawk was cool.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I thought Hawk was gone after being pilled out of his mind at SummerSlam '92, and Ellering still had Rocco there.

However, thankfully, Rocco found steady work in the pinball industry:

hOvTRmE.jpg

• Like 4

Also, y'all are sleeping on the glory of the CONAN THE ROBOT COSTUME MANUAL.

034_DOC381-2.jpg

"Charles is a very flexible, active gymnast."  I love Konnan more than I probably should (the first "star" I ever worked with in the biz) but come on. 

(Then again, compared to most of the WWF in 1992...)

• Like 1