DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING PHOTOS

34 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

At first I was thinking that would be an odd pairing.  Then I realize she could have worn all black and somehow make it work, she was that damn good.

Sherri cutting Paul Bearer's promos word for word and using her own cadence and voice would have been amazing.

• Like 2

All the Sherri Martel talk reminded me that I saw her and Debbie Combs in a Dog Collar Match in IWA Mid-south in 97. They tore the house down and just beat the every loving hell out of each other pretty much stealing the show. That may be faint praise considering it was Ian's little garbage dog and pony show, but man that chaos was fun to see live. Sherri was the best.

• Like 2

tumblr_o173u5H4i51rg89a6o1_500.jpg

Debbie Combs, Sensational Sherri, and Luna Vachon
[March 14th, 1997]

An incredible photo of three professional wrestling legends. This photo was taken backstage at the IWA Mid-South Eddie Gilbert Tribute Show. Debbie Combs is the daughter of women’s wrestling pioneer Cora Combs, and wrestled Luna Vachon on the night of this event. Sensational Sherri would feud with Combs later in the year within IWA Mid-South over the NWA Women’s Championship, in matches with stipulations such as Falls Count Anywhere and Dog Collar Matches!

I love Sherri's look here. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Ace said:

Sadly, Combs is the only one in that pic still alive.

I think about that fact less frequently than I probably ought: That this art to which I have given so much attention and money over the years is an art that kills. :unsure:

9 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

At first I was thinking that would be an odd pairing.  Then I realize she could have worn all black and somehow make it work, she was that damn good.

Man, we might as well make a Sherri tribute thread at this point.  Heck, I'm going to tweet WWE Network and see if they can get a Sherri collection, there's a lot of goodness they can add.

Of coarse she could make it work with anybody, she was such a team player and all about getting her guys over

• Like 2

I seem to remember Punk and Cabana talking about meeting Sherri and at some point when Jamie Dundee was booking talent for Springer, there was talk they were supposed to do something where Sherri was supposed to be one of their moms and was dating their friend.

• Like 2

Foley's deceptively tall. About average by conventional wrestling standards, but way bigger than he comes across. It's probably his hunched wild man stagger he did for most of his career compounded by the litany of injuries. 

15 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Foley's deceptively tall. About average by conventional wrestling standards, but way bigger than he comes across. It's probably his hunched wild man stagger he did for most of his career compounded by the litany of injuries. 

Most WWE wrestlers (non-indies guys) are a lot bigger than most civilians. Think about Roddy in THEY LIVE or HHH in BLADE 3. They seem enormous. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Sherri cutting Paul Bearer's promos word for word and using her own cadence and voice would have been amazing.

13 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Like a crazy Elvira or Bride of Frankenstein style shtick. I'd have totally been down with that!

Taker and Sherri would have been Gomez and Morticia Addams. Goth Sherri would have gotten me into goth chicks about three years before I did.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sherri and Taker would have been Gomez and Morticia Adams. Goth Sherri would have gotten me into goth chicks about three years before I did.

Holy shit, I now want to see nothing more than for Taker to start kissing Sherri's arm because she spoke french.

a38b467120d705fa6f132677849d9386.gif

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Kronos said:

Most WWE wrestlers (non-indies guys) are a lot bigger than most civilians. Think about Roddy in THEY LIVE or HHH in BLADE 3. They seem enormous. 

The most noteworthy recent example of WWE guys being deceptively massive: Swagger vs (big, but not so tall) Mike

elgin-swagger.png?w=656

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Taker and Sherri would have been Gomez and Morticia Addams. Goth Sherri would have gotten me into goth chicks about three years before I did.

No Paul would be Gomez, Taker is the elder god they summon with the urn. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

The most noteworthy recent example of WWE guys being deceptively massive: Swagger vs (big, but not so tall) Mike

elgin-swagger.png?w=656

Those of you who know me in real life know I am a very large man. But a few years ago I got to stand near Mark Henry and Big Show. Really put things in perspective. I was taller than Henry, but holy shit dude was a fridge with legs. 

I have seen people talk about seeing Swagger in person and just being blown away by how ginormous he is. 

Last night I was watching a battle royal from early 1980 - in Houston, maybe. Andre was cartoonishly bigger than every worker in the ring. 

ETA: When we're talking about "deceptively" tall or big, we mean that they don't seem as big as they really are, right? Especially out in the normal world.