DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING PHOTOS

Regardless of match quality, Mutoh pretty much carried NJ on his back for all of 1999, took a vacation in WCW and then cameback re-invigorated in 2001. Hell even before then he'd whip a good to very-good match (his IWGP title match with Tenzan from... 95/96 is an example).  All Time Great... maybe not but definitely an important figure for the last 30 years.

James

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Regardless of match quality, Mutoh pretty much carried NJ on his back for all of 1999, took a vacation in WCW and then cameback re-invigorated in 2001. Hell even before then he'd whip a good to very-good match (his IWGP title match with Tenzan from... 95/96 is an example).  All Time Great... maybe not but definitely an important figure for the last 30 years.

James

Exactly. Muto is a very Hogan-like figure, where he's not like the all-time king of match quality but he has highlights and there's no avoiding what he did for the wrestling business in his country. Granted, Muto's batting average is way higher.

and don't come at me with that "chono is hogan" mess, y'all need to revisit chono if that's how you feel

13 hours ago, BL88 said:

Exactly. Muto is a very Hogan-like figure, where he's not like the all-time king of match quality but he has highlights and there's no avoiding what he did for the wrestling business in his country. Granted, Muto's batting average is way higher.

Son, you just described an all-time great

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

...I still don't forgive him for the Kobashi chopfest though

Never understood this opinion. Does it really need explaining that two of Japan's biggest stars who are both famed for their chops, one on his home turf and one in the midst of an amazing comeback year, didnt want to back down? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Wait, we're supposed to hate Mutoh now because no-knees bald Mutoh wasn't a workrate machine.

Sigh.  If anyone needs me, I'll be over in the corner plotting to destroy the internet.  It has awful opinions.

I don't think anyone said that. We're saying he's an all-time great who isn't known for his matches so much as everything else, including being a cool wrestler when that wasn't very common. Please leave the internet alone, I need it for work.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zartan said:

I kinda remember people loving the chop fest the first time it happened. 

The next however many times not so much. 

Yeah, it's more that it was awesome when Kobashi and Sasaki did it, and then awesome again when Kobashi and Samoa Joe did it, and then not awesome then next 80,000 times it happened on indy shows from lesser talents and folks that never did chops until it was time to recreate that exchange.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, quackhell said:

As a teenager the Great Muta was the coolest dude I had ever seen...so yeah my opinion is probably more than a little biased there.

Exactly. Mutoh is The Man. And until Nakamura arrived he had been the greatest Japanese draw in American wrestling history. Dude is an absolute legend. 

I personally prefer Mutoh in his prime with knees over Nakamura. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2017 at 1:01 PM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

That treatment is to maintain the impermeability of the sac in his larynx where he stores thee Poison Mist Juice.

- knowing of a lot of things,

RAF

Good Reverend, can you (or anyone else for that matter) recall or direct me to who first posited the glandular explanation of the dread Poison Mist? I was talking about it with a friend, but couldn't recall where I'd heard it first... Gary Hart on a Funk's Grill, perhaps? Or earlier, with Kabuki? Thanks in advance to any/all that can help... clear away the fog.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Batboy said:

Good Reverend, can you (or anyone else for that matter) recall or direct me to who first posited the glandular explanation of the dread Poison Mist? I was talking about it with a friend, but couldn't recall where I'd heard it first... Gary Hart on a Funk's Grill, perhaps? Or earlier, with Kabuki? Thanks in advance to any/all that can help... clear away the fog.

I think I heard Cornette say it was Gary Hart that first went through the severity of the Mists, Green Burns, Red Blinds and Black just straight up kills you.

• Like 1

Good question. To the best of my recollection (spotty, addled, chair-shotted) on TV the mist was kept "mysterious" with minimal explanation - as it should be. Excess vague factoids, workarounds and theories were the province of the Apter mags, where the gland gimmick probably came from. As much as I would like to have had Mr. G. Hart lay it all out for us, I think he played it close to the vest. I gotta watch that Hart/Kabuki/Piper/Valiant run 'cause that is where it would be if it came from him.

The modern need for "canon" in 'rasslin' (indeed, in any genre hobby) didn't exist back then; completists, nerds and obsessives gleaned knowledge where they could and assembled it willy-nilly. An off the cuff remark from a tipsy announcer could be spun for want of lack of other facts.

The cataloging of thee Deadly Mist Varieties may have come directly from Hart - who am I to dispute JC?  Again, have to go to the (literal) tape and it ain't like there is some Stanley Weston database to cross-reference. I laid it all out long ago in my 'zine CLAW HOLD! and have seen it disseminated in many places since (inc. Wikipedia).

- RAF

• Like 2