DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

37 minutes ago, caley said:

Also, this gives me an opportunity to post the shitty TNA knock-off NWO theme they did that just infuriates me every time I hear it

The song wasn't made by TNA, other than the quick intro; it was off the nWo Japan CD released in 1999:

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That was the theme music they gave to Blitzkrieg too.

And Jake Roberts, and Greg Valentine, and Marty Jannetty, and...

While on the subject of WCW and public domain music:

BTW, I liked Benoit's hand clapping theme. I loved the Hollywood Blondes theme. If I were to hear it somewhere, you better believe I'll do the camera rolling hand gesture they did. The Kids in the Hall clip gets me thinking there needs to be a Canadian indy wrestler that uses the KITH theme as his or her entrance music.

• Like 6

If it's anything like usual indy squabbles, it boils down to the promoter acting like he's Vince McMahon without being, y'know, Vince McMahon, or having, y'know, Vince McMahon money to throw around.  

There are waaaaay too many promoters that demand you only work for them, boycott other competing shows, etc, while still only paying an absolute pittance.  And 99% of the workers do it without hesitation.

• Like 5

Does anyone know if the "Davey Richards attens medical school" thing was actually true?  That was about four years ago, so he should be close to graduation, but his wrestling schedule seems to indicate he has a lot more free time than the typical med student.

I was told DR doesn't have a bachelors degree, so I imagine that makes getting into med school a lot more difficult, if not impossible.  I'm wondering if anything came of it.

For that matter, I assume Taiyo Kea didn't attend business school for very long?  His retirement from the ring only lasted about six months before he was back in Japan.

I thought Richards was training to be a paramedic, which would be significantly different than going to medical school.

Sunny was the one allegedly upgrading to go back to medical school, wasn't she?

20 minutes ago, Dewar said:

I thought Richards was training to be a paramedic, which would be significantly different than going to medical school.

Sunny was the one allegedly upgrading to go back to medical school, wasn't she?

Davey is a licensed paramedic.  Somewhere around 2014, he claimed he had been accepted into med school and was going to be retiring.  Note: He didn't retire.

No idea about the Sunny rumor.

Edit: There was a Sports Illustrated profile on Richards written in 2016 that describes Davey as a med student.  I assume they fact-checked that before the story was published.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/03/09/tna-davey-richards-wwe-seth-rollins-wolves

17 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember Loch Ness using what eventually became Rey Mysterio Jr's theme at Uncensored 96.

I loved this one.  My other fave WCW rip-off theme was Raven's.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

While on the subject of WCW and public domain music:

BTW, I liked Benoit's hand clapping theme. I loved the Hollywood Blondes theme. If I were to hear it somewhere, you better believe I'll do the camera rolling hand gesture they did. The Kids in the Hall clip gets me thinking there needs to be a Canadian indy wrestler that uses the KITH theme as his or her entrance music.

If he does a head crusher gimmick the guy would be the greatest wrestler who ever lived. I CRUSH YOUR HEAD!!!

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Edit: There was a Sports Illustrated profile on Richards written in 2016 that describes Davey as a med student.  I assume they fact-checked that before the story was published.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/03/09/tna-davey-richards-wwe-seth-rollins-wolves

Considering their other wrestling stories - you are assuming a lot

13 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

CHIKARA has a pretty good argument for it: Mike Quackenbush did, in fact, create the Jervis Cottonbelly character, and it is his intellectual property.  By this, Quackenbush can absolutely claim copyright on the gimmick.

Well here is the only question i care about, who risked breaking their neck getting the gimmick over? Morally that is all I care about. 

By the same token, people should have enough sense not to use gimmicks they don't own on the indies, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember Loch Ness using what eventually became Rey Mysterio Jr's theme at Uncensored 96.

Zodiac had that same theme also.

DDP's "Almost Smells Like Something Resembling Teen Spirit" was a classic too.

On 7/6/2017 at 2:07 PM, OSJ said:

and no one's going to pay a sixty year-old with bad knees to try and work a match.

Dude, indy promotions are built on 60 year olds with bad knees trying to work a match. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

So Dixie Carter is going to be on the WWE Network... interesting. Everyone does end up working for Vince at some point

For those wondering what Brysynner is talking about

I wonder if this is somehow going to tie into the WWE being able to use the Broken gimmick for the Hardys

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Zodiac had that same theme also.

DDP's "Almost Smells Like Something Resembling Teen Spirit" was a classic too.

I was a big fan of Vampiro's trippy theme. Kinda sounded like a more hippy-ish version of Cherub Rock by Smashing Pumpkins.

• Like 2

Damn. Super bummed by that and very surprised. Aries/Neville was maybe my favorite feud of the year and loved each of their matches, especially the last one. Still wished he would've won the title, the only guy I wanted to see take it off Neville. That sucks, a shame his WWE run was so short.