DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I wanted Heenan to start praising Hogan after the turn. To me that would have been the ultimate in weasel behaviour. 

Turning Heenan into a default face announcer was not the worst thing WCW did. But it really did them no favors. 

• Like 1

Eh, while Hennan would never, EVER, say a nice thing about Hogan, he would still favor the heels, even the nWo at times,  after that.  Tony called him on it alot.  

38 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Eh, while Hennan would never, EVER, say a nice thing about Hogan, he would still favor the heels, even the nWo at times,  after that.  Tony called him on it alot.  

Not very often. I can't recall him ever saying anything positive about an nWo member that was not a shared sentiment by Tenay and Tony. Something like The Outsiders are tough or Hogan is a cagey veteran, is not the same as the hyperbolic support Heenan gave heels previously. 

I see no reason Heenan would not support a heel Hogan. He went on to manage Andre The Giant, who was his arch enemy before Hogan. He managed Paul Orndorff after Orndorff publically humiliated him. I don't see anything in the character to suggest he has a line. 

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

There could have been a guy on fire and Hogan could walk up with a bucket of water in hand and Heenan would still question if Hogan would put the fire out. That's just who Heenan is. In hindsight, one of my favorite parts about Hogan's heel turn is that it vindicated years and years and years of Heenan pointing out that Hogan was a scumbag and every other face announcer thinking he was crazy.

True, though I still question the wisdom in this case.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

My cable company under the RAW preview says this is Season 25 and Episode 30.  Never seen that before. But I do feel that WWE should have a break during the year like every other show. 

You don't become the longest running episodic television show on cable by taking a break, pal!  (I haven't really noticed, do they still repeat that shtick on every show?)

1 hour ago, nate said:

You don't become the longest running episodic television show on cable by taking a break, pal!  (I haven't really noticed, do they still repeat that shtick on every show?)

Probably, but I'm sure Michael Cole can recite that shtick in his sleep at this point.

12 hours ago, nate said:

You have to add "weekly" in there because soap operas have RAW beat by an enormous amount. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Victator said:

Not very often. I can't recall him ever saying anything positive about an nWo member that was not a shared sentiment by Tenay and Tony. Something like The Outsiders are tough or Hogan is a cagey veteran, is not the same as the hyperbolic support Heenan gave heels previously. 

I see no reason Heenan would not support a heel Hogan. He went on to manage Andre The Giant, who was his arch enemy before Hogan. He managed Paul Orndorff after Orndorff publically humiliated him. I don't see anything in the character to suggest he has a line. 

At one point in '96, Heenan said flat out that he'd actually appreciate what the nWo were trying to do if Hogan wasn't part of it.   Hogan is Heenan's line - he proved he was right after a decade of telling people Hogan was no good.  If anything, Heenan should CONTINUE screaming about it because he's the BRAIN and HE WAS RIGHT.

• Like 3

Watched Jimmy Hart on JBL Legends. That guy tells a pretty good story. I have always been annoyed by him on my screen - which frequently is the point, but still. 

Regardless, I could listen to him tell stories about Memphis and 80's WWF all day long. 

21 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I would think that this would bode extremely poorly for pretty much every pro wrestler who takes consistent bumps (basically everyone but HTM):

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

This should shock roughly nobody that isn't in the football "bubble" to begin with.

I tried to limit my own bumps in wrestling but I still ended up with two verified concussions, to say nothing of any that might've happened that didn't get treated.  I don't *think* it did anything, but I won't know for a long time, probably.

I already pledged my brain to the Concussion Legacy Institute, assuming it's in any condition to be donated after I'm through with it. :)

• Like 1

Not surprising results. That really is the shit thing about this, though; it would be one thing if the answer was simply to "work smart", avoid head-drops, needless stiffness, etc. Don't be Shibata, or Nigel, or any of the other obvious cautionary tails. But if a decade of shoulder tackles and scoop slams adds up to brain trauma... well, good advice is still good advice, and mitigating risk is still wise, probably. But how do you solve a problem with no solution? 

(And full disclosure, I'm waking up early to watch the G1 before work tomorrow. Someone's getting dropped on their head; Ishii's gonna take and give some gross forearms, then a headbutt. I'm plenty complicit.)

On 7/7/2017 at 6:59 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

21 years ago today, the world turned upside down...

There is now nothing I want more than for Lin-Manuel Miranda to create a Broadway musical based on the kayfabe career of Hulk Hogan, so fuck you for making me want something I can never have.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Not surprising results. That really is the shit thing about this, though; it would be one thing if the answer was simply to "work smart", avoid head-drops, needless stiffness, etc. Don't be Shibata, or Nigel, or any of the other obvious cautionary tails. But if a decade of shoulder tackles and scoop slams adds up to brain trauma... well, good advice is still good advice, and mitigating risk is still wise, probably. But how do you solve a problem with no solution? 

There's no solution that doesn't result in a complete, fundamental and, in all likelihood, catastrophic change to pro wrestling.  The best we can hope for is education and mitigation - it's going to be a problem, but how can we make it the smallest problem we can?

I mean, how many car crashes is an "okay amount" to have?  Because that's basically what a standard bump is.

• Like 3

I was thinking about this after watching Enzo get buried in the ring for the umpteenth time by Cass, but what do you do with him now? He's shitty in the ring, but a special talent on the mic and has a ton of charisma despite what this board thinks.

Do you send someone like that back down to NXT to see if he can turn the corner as a singles wrestler? Or do they stick Enzo with Show to keep doing the same old shit.

I would stick him in NXT for a few months to freshen him up abit, maybe give him a short NXT title reign. have him beat Roode as an upset then have him lose to a newly turned McIntyre or Strong or have Alestair Black kick his head off.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Boydy said:

I would stick him in NXT for a few months to freshen him up abit, maybe give him a short NXT title reign. have him beat Roode as an upset then have him lose to a newly turned McIntyre or Strong or have Alestair Black kick his head off.

This would be hilarious and I am 100% behind it.

I don't think the guy is going to get truly better in the ring. Maybe a little more competent, but not a whole lot better. But with his charisma and mic ability, he doesn't need to be Daniel Bryan-like in the ring. He just needs to be able to string some moves together and establish some sort of over finisher. Maybe Spike Dudley's old LSD running corner bulldog or something? Something he can hit on anybody.

Then, let him cut a promo (again) how he gets beat down and keeps getting back up, but he don't wanna get beat down no more so he's going to train harder and get better, but he knows he has to start over again at the bottom of the barrell. Have him start winning matches against some jobbers, then lower guys like Curt Hawkins and Bo Dallas to show him improving slowly but surely. He eventually faces Cass again. He loses, but it's not a complete squash. Build to a "final rematch" between the two where if Enzo loses he leaves WWE. This is where he'll finally get his big win over Cass and then he can move on to being an entertaining mid-card act who has some credibility in the ring despite being smaller and not that great a wrestler.

Or, he just becomes a manager and he brings up Heavy Machinery from NXT as his new tag team to take out Big Cass

• Like 1