DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I honestly think the sky is the limit for Braun. By the time the Roman feud is 'done' I think he'll be a made man. The only thing that's going to hold him back is how young he is in the business, whereas I think one of the reasons a guy like AJ and Samoa Joe have excelled is because they've been around the block a few times and know how to play their cards

How young as in he's inexperienced to the ways of the business? I see some truth to that. I also agree that when the Roman feud is done and Braun will probably lose it, I think he'll be a made guy and that feud will be something you can revisit a year or two down the line.

In fact, imagine the business that will do. Provided Braun doesn't get buried or Ryback'd, the first time he and Roman have a confrontation a year or two from when their current feud ends is going to be an amazing moment. That's another feeling that's sorely missed these days. Is there anyone right now who has rekindled their feud that you're actually excited for? Everything has been done to death and back and back again.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

How young as in he's inexperienced to the ways of the business? I see some truth to that. I also agree that when the Roman feud is done and Braun will probably lose it, I think he'll be a made guy and that feud will be something you can revisit a year or two down the line.

In fact, imagine the business that will do. Provided Braun doesn't get buried or Ryback'd, the first time he and Roman have a confrontation a year or two from when their current feud ends is going to be an amazing moment. That's another feeling that's sorely missed these days. Is there anyone right now who has rekindled their feud that you're actually excited for? Everything has been done to death and back and back again.

I can't wait for Kofi Kingston and Dolph to have a face to face moment in the Rumble.

Owens/Sami could have had that feel if they would have done the logical thing and kept them on different shows after their "last match against each other ever" last year. I think Roman/AJ would have that feel if they were to feud again. If we're including NXT feuds I think people would be excited for Joe/Nak on the main roster but most of those probably wouldn't have seen the NXT feud.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Craig H said:

How young as in he's inexperienced to the ways of the business?

There's that quote from Triple H about how little experience Braun has, where he and Vince were watching a Strowman match and Vince got all mad because Strowman went ahead and did something in the ring that Vince had expressly told him not to do and Vince turning to Triple H and saying something to the effect of "Just when is this guy going to get it?!" And Triple H pausing then saying "You know this is only like his tenth match."  

He's had 230some matches in total, many of which were tags, so he grasped the idea at some point and working tons of singles matches can only help. If he were still just doing squash matches and working on house shows squashing Heath Slater every night, he probably would be quite awful still. He worked a lot with Sami Zayn which probably helped.

28 minutes ago, caley said:

There's that quote from Triple H about how little experience Braun has, where he and Vince were watching a Strowman match and Vince got all mad because Strowman went ahead and did something in the ring that Vince had expressly told him not to do and Vince turning to Triple H and saying something to the effect of "Just when is this guy going to get it?!" And Triple H pausing then saying "You know this is only like his tenth match."  

Not a shocker at all but, man, Vince is really a dick.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Not a shocker at all but, man, Vince is really a dick.

Sometimes I think he's just a bit...obtuse.  That he expects so much of everyone that he tends to forget the little things, like just how little experience Strowman had at that point because he expects perfection every time.

And then I read this story from Jim Korderas' autobiography

At some TV tapings, the WWE hierarchy holds talent meetings.  These meetings are on a variety of subjects and last about a half hour or so.  On days when there is a meeting, someone puts up signs all around the backstage area from catering to every locker room so all the talent knows about the meeting, its time and location.  On this particular day, I was helping hang the signs backstage.  I thought hanging the signs a little higher would make them easier to spot so I jumped upon a road case to hang it high.  As I reached up while standing on the wheeled case, somebody thought it would be funny to shove me from behind into the wall.  Almost taking a huge bump off the platform, I quickly collected myself and turned to give the culprit an earful.

What did I see staring at me but the Chairman himself, Vince McMahon.  Instead of the outburst of profanity I was planning, I fell silent.  Then Vince said to me in a stern voice, "You were saying?"

Almost mimicking his very own hard oh my god gulping swallow, I followed that up with the immortal words, "Good to see ya, boss.  How's it going?"

He laughed and replied, "I'm doing good, pal.  Carry on."  I could hear him laughing as he walked down the hallway.

and than I think "No, maybe he is just a dick." 

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, caley said:

That'll teach Strowman...also don't sneeze mid-match.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caley said:

Here's the article

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/0327/624513/triple-h-on-vince-mcmahon-once-getting-upset-with-braun-strowman/

On the subject of Strowman, Triple H recalled a time when WWE Chairman Vince McMahon forgot how green 'The Monster Among Men' really was.

"There was a period of time, he had been with us now, maybe a month or two after he debuted on the main roster, and he did something in the ring that Vince had just told him about, and, or, had me talk to him about, and then he did it again. And Vince looks at me and he goes, 'what is the matter with this guy? Like, I don't get that. Is he going to make it or… I don't understand why he doesn't get that. What is wrong with him?' And I looked at him and I go, 'Vince, it's like his fifteenth match.' Like, do you know what I mean? 'He's trying to figure out what he's doing. He's lucky he got in the ring today.' And he looked right at me and he was like, 'that's a really great point. Never mind.'"

Virgil's money is made in appearances, not wrestling. It's how he's best served. Nobody wants to really see him wrestle, but he can charm the fuck out of a room.

47 minutes ago, Ace said:

"Tell Jim Cornette to fuck Jim Cornette."

I am convinced there is some Reddit group that every 3 weeks looks for the weirdest wrestling GIF possible and then tweets it to Cornette under the "I can't believe they are killing the business" idea.  And either Cornette falls for it every time or he sees it as a great way to work some kind of angle.  Of course this time Cornette double down on the crazy with this gem.  Yes I always compare Kenny Omega wrestling a blow up doll or a kid to the Holocaust 

DFMlMUUW0AEvVwW.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Godfrey said:

The other aspect to Braun is that we haven't really seen him against anyone except Reigns, Big Show, and Kalisto and he nailed all those. But imagine him against Cena, Styles, or Balor. I have the feeling those would still be great feuds. They still have at least a couple of years worth of programs they can run with him as a monster before they need to resort to dancing or diapers or whatever dumb shit Vince is into then.

He has worked Zayn on TV and its been good. Also matches with Goldust have turned up on fancam that were good.

He was getting good reactions before Reigns. People need to abandon that "he wasn't over til Reigns" narrative. Because it is already old. 

Braun is the man. Everybody knows it but the geezer and he'll come around. 

• Like 2