DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

2 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Hell, one week a Bash at the Beach 1992 airing somehow scored more viewers.

I could be wrong, but a lot of spikes are probably because of podcast reviews. Schiavone, Storm/Callis, Prichard, Bryan/Vinny etc. 

6 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Dave lists the most watched Network shows every week.  Talking Smack rarely ever cracks the top 10.  Hell, one week a Bash at the Beach 1992 airing somehow scored more viewers.

Well think about it, would you rather watch James Ellsworth and Carmella talk to Renee Young or watch Rick Rude vs Ricky Steamboat?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Victator said:

We are very different people.

You are comparing a 3-4 minute segment vs a 30 minute iron man match I have watched on more than one occasion.

I know which way my time is better utilized 

• Like 7

Very bummed about Talking Smack, but I'll admit to watching it less, at least up until the last few weeks. The time change really killed it for me. Basically, when SDL was done, it was in my head to turn on TS. Then when 205 live started, I wound up forgetting about TS. Basically, I'll watch 205 on demand and move on to doing something else during its air time and then forget I missed TS.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

I could be wrong, but a lot of spikes are probably because of podcast reviews. Schiavone, Storm/Callis, Prichard, Bryan/Vinny etc. 

That's a good point.  What I find funny is that the other random PPV that showed up in the top 10 recently was Backlash 2009 which also had a really good Ricky Steamboat match (vs. Chris Jericho.)  Those Steamboat fans have a lot of pull.

That match was awesome, for '09 Steamboat standards. To be honest, he should've had a solo match with Jericho at that Mania, in my opinion. I never gave a shit about Snuka, and Piper was not someone I wanted to see at that point.

They should have had the handicap match as a lead-in to a singles Mania match. The crowd popped huge for Steamboat getting his shit in almost perfectly after the sad old man stuff from the Superfly and Piper. 

36 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

That match was awesome, for '09 Steamboat standards. To be honest, he should've had a solo match with Jericho at that Mania, in my opinion. I never gave a shit about Snuka, and Piper was not someone I wanted to see at that point.

Jericho said that he had pitched for Lawler to be one of the Legends b/c they could actually have a decent match together. However, Vince had said that the 3 legends had to have worked the 1st Wrestlemania and had to be in the Hall of Fame.

Before anyone posts it here - the CM Punk returns to WWE story is fake

Another day, another click bait site saying Meltzer reported something 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Jericho said that he had pitched for Lawler to be one of the Legends b/c they could actually have a decent match together. However, Vince had said that the 3 legends had to have worked the 1st Wrestlemania and had to be in the Hall of Fame.

Snuka did not work the first WM.

- RAF

It'll be real enough in a couple years when WWE realizes they're short enough on "special attraction" talents to send some truckfuls of money to Punk's house along with a contract that's got an ironclad "last match on the Wrestlemania card" stipulation.

Hell, they're already short enough on special attractions that they're actually gonna let Angle work a match for them again, and I never thought that would happen...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, piranesi said:

Can anyone explain why Enzo can't just be a weird funny manager with a menagerie of cartoon goofballs involved in different random midcard feuds?  I mean Albano was a shitty worker once too, right?

It would be a perfect utilization of Enzo's skills (such as they are), he's like a Jimmy Hart on meth anyway and it's high time that the WWE realized that a good manager helps sell tickets. We're already getting more mileage out of Titus than many would have thought possible, the talent just has to get realistic about the opportunity that's being presented. No one buys a ticket to see a manager, but conversely, no one is better positioned to push the next show than a manager. Yeah, you take the manager gig and you're not going to make top-of-the-card money, nor should you. However, you will do substantially better than you would have as "Former WWE Star Known as _____". There's a lot to be said for being able to work a gimmick for twenty-odd years, doing one goofy-ass bump a night. Think about it, you're being handed what amounts to the safest gig in wrestling and likely the best return on actual work that's possible. Were I Enzo, I'd be doing everything in my power to show how perfectly suited I am for the role...

• Like 6