DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Isn't WWE office full of Trump supporters?

Well you'll notice WWE is trying not to advertise the connection. After the blowback from those pics in the Oval Office, they did a glowing tribute to Obama as part of Black History Month. 

If the locker room as a whole oppose another wrestler, that can do them in faster than the Office hating them. 

18 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm certain there's many in WWE that are Trump supporters, but that's not unlike anywhere else that'd have reasons to like the guy.  Maybe he's espousing his views in a super-annoying manner that's meant to agitate people.  If so then that's where it becomes an issue.  Heck, I had to get off the bus early because two dingbats were loudly talking about polotics, regardless of one's stance there's more civil ways to discuss things.  I'd wish for failure but unless a miracle happens I'll save that wish since he'll fail.  Maybe he should tag with Sam Adonis.

As for Enzo, I'm sensing the reason that his recent promo were so good was because he felt like he was fighting for his career/self respect.  Looking back there seemed to be that sense of desperation in his eyes.

I can see Enzo doing well in the indies for some reason.  Maybe he won't have those five star matches- but he can talk and I think he has real passion for the business.   I remember when DDP was absolute trash in the ring early on in his career- he got better.  If Enzo works as hard as DDP I'm sure he can do the same and become at least passable.

21 minutes ago, alstein said:

I can see Enzo doing well in the indies for some reason.  Maybe he won't have those five star matches- but he can talk and I think he has real passion for the business.   I remember when DDP was absolute trash in the ring early on in his career- he got better.  If Enzo works as hard as DDP I'm sure he can do the same and become at least passable.

Enzo is a long way from being as good as 1992 DDP.

• Like 1

I read a book where a guy spent a season with the Baltimore Ravens and being stunned at how many of them were George W. Bush fans.  In fact, the author stated that the majority of the players were Republicans, though some didn't like to talk about it, only 1-2 were really vocal Democrats and the reasons all boiled down to money.  IIRC, one guy even said something about disliking Bush but voting for him so he wouldn't lose all his money.  I would wager a good amount of WWE wrestlers don't like Trump, but I'd be shocked if a huge portion of them didn't vote for him for financial reasons.

1 minute ago, S.K.o.S. said:

What's this about?

ZSJ is a big Jeremy Corbyn support

He also changed his Twitter handle to Zack Labour Jr and I would say 1/2 his tweets are politics/social issue related

So if that isn't your thing....

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Regarding Cass: I dunno. That story seems like bullshit. Does the WWE locker room, largely well to do white athletes, seem like they'd be mad at a guy for supporting the President that the company is aligned with? 

I agree , We've heard stories of how being pro Republican can get you over with the office although I dont doubt that there isn't more anti-trump in the locker room because you've got way more diversity in the WWE locker room than ever. We all knew Enzo would be doomed if the team slit, I was just hoping he'd be over Enzo that the people would still care for him long after the break up. The guy has his own unique look with the Hip-Hop street wear and the catch phrases he knows how to get himself over to a degree but he isn't a good worker and they Book him like shit. Without Enzo Cass is bland they slip them up way too soon, it not like they are going to stick him with the top faces right now anyway. At least Corbin has had almost a year with the top faces on Smackdown

30 minutes ago, caley said:

I read a book where a guy spent a season with the Baltimore Ravens and being stunned at how many of them were George W. Bush fans.  In fact, the author stated that the majority of the players were Republicans, though some didn't like to talk about it, only 1-2 were really vocal Democrats and the reasons all boiled down to money.  IIRC, one guy even said something about disliking Bush but voting for him so he wouldn't lose all his money.  I would wager a good amount of WWE wrestlers don't like Trump, but I'd be shocked if a huge portion of them didn't vote for him for financial reasons.

This reminds me of a story Charles Barkley told a while back. He had said something about running for Governor of Alabama once he was done playing and broadcasting and he would probably do so as a Republican. He said his mom (or his grandmother, can't remember which) heard about it and the next time she saw him asked, "why in the hell would you run as a Republican? Don't you know they're only for rich people?" and Charles said, "mom, I'm rich."

2 hours ago, Rick said:

I see Enzo partying with Drake's dad & the Weeknd regularly on instagram, he probably think's he's a bigger deal than he is. That being said as much as he sucks in ring, his promo's the past two weeks have been pretty great, it'd be a shame to see him get shit canned over something so innocent. Big Cass is whatever, Steve Austin is a trump fan, as is many other guys on the roster including JBL, it is what it is. Politics meshing with wrestling sucks, it's part of the reason ZSJ has been repulsive lately. 

I don't agree with this at all. The history of pro wrestling feuds is the exploitation of gay panic, nationalism, racism, class struggle, etc. Boo the foreigner, the commie, the flamboyant man, the butch woman; cheer the common man, who is like you, the real Americans, or the ideal version thereof. Wrestling has always been intensely political. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beech27 said:

I don't agree with this at all. The history of pro wrestling feuds is the exploitation of gay panic, nationalism, racism, class struggle, etc. Boo the foreigner, the commie, the flamboyant man, the butch woman; cheer the common man, who is like you, the real Americans, or the ideal version thereof. Wrestling has always been intensely political. 

You are confusing politics with the human condition  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Victator said:

You are confusing politics with the human condition  

That's fair, depending on definitions. I disagree, though I'm ill-equipped (and even less motivated) to unpack post-Arendt political philosophy, and whether any such distinction can be meaningfully drawn. Certainly I'd argue common usage draws no such bright line, which is enough for this context. No, pro wrestling shouldn't have much to do with congressional house rules, district maps, etc.; but it has always dealt with what many people consider to be political issues. 

I know that idiot in the Ozarks is getting pub for the Progressive Liberal gimmick but man...that really would work in WWE. Have a heel come out and refuse to wrestle until the arena is a safe space, accuse the fans of triggering him with chants, interrupt women segments by cutting promos on how he doesn't think they get enough time on TV, have him apologize to Sami Zayn for how Muslims...just be the total Fox News idea of what someone on the Left is. It would be fucked up obviously but a JBL-version of the extreme Left would work.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I know that idiot in the Ozarks is getting pub for the Progressive Liberal gimmick but man...that really would work in WWE. Have a heel come out and refuse to wrestle until the arena is a safe space, accuse the fans of triggering him with chants, interrupt women segments by cutting promos on how he doesn't think they get enough time on TV, have him apologize to Sami Zayn for how Muslims...just be the total Fox News idea of what someone on the Left is. It would be fucked up obviously but a JBL-version of the extreme Left would work.

Veda Scott would be perfect for this.  She kinda did a version of it in ROH and I thought she was getting real heel heat.

Do we have a definitive list of WWE wrestlers by political affiliation?

Right-Leaning: Cass, Ziggler, Kane, Austin, JBL, Rhyno, Shawn, HHH, the McMahons

Left-Leaning: Zayn, Foley, Bryan, Xavier, ???

Could probably make educated guesses on a lot of others, but I don't want to stereotype.

6 minutes ago, Hagan said:

They tried something like that with Nowinski in 03. This was the period they were desperate to exploit 9/11 hysteria but it didn't take. 

In fact the only act that got over was JBL as a heel. 

There was a study done a few years ago that said the WWE fanbase was fairly liberal. 

19 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

No, pro wrestling shouldn't have much to do with congressional house rules, district maps, etc.; but it has always dealt with what many people consider to be political issues. 

Some things could be defined as political. But I think and this sounds weird, needs some subtlety. Its why that Progressive Liberal guy and that Anti Immigrant guy aren't good. There is nothing more to them. They feel like Duke Drose and TL Hopper but political. Why are they in wrestling, why not follow their real passion. 

I don't believe people want current events breaking the fantasy of their wrestling show. I certainly don't. 

• Like 5

I believe The New Day, Summer Rae and Sasha Banks have all either said or RT things that would make one believe they are left leaning which makes sense, I'm sure a lot of the younger generation of wrestlers are. A lot of the locker room was upset with Trump winning but like anything else as long as you are not annoying about your political leanings then there probably isn't an issue. 

Maybe Cass talks too much politics and I can see people not wanting to hear it.