DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Another day, another Del Rio story

By Mike Johnson on 2017-07-10 12:46:00
A reader who was traveling into Orlando yesterday afternoon emailed PWInsider to inform us that he had seen Global Force Champion Alberto El Patron being detained by police in the airport. Patron missed an advertised independent booking yesterday in Texas.

In seeking to confirm whether that story was correct, PWInsider.com reached out to the Orlando Police Department and was given the following statement:

"There was an incident at Orlando International Airport at about 3 p.m. Sunday involving Jose Rodriguez (DOB 5/25/1977) The reported incident was a domestic violence battery, and it is still under investigation. No arrests have been made as of this time, but the case remains open. That is all the information we have for release at this time."

On social media the day before, Patron's girlfriend Paige posted a photo of herself with members of Patron's family on social media at Universal Studios in Orlando.

At some point I am going to have to start a Del Rio Dumpster Fire thread

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I thought there already was one.

That was the one about Paige's leak that morphed into her and Del Rio's life

Regarding unions...

Since they're so connected to the current administration, it's going to take a while, but I can't help feeling WWE's current model will bite them on the ass eventually if they don't change it.  It's easy to hide what is essentially a system of exploitation when you're regional in the 70s and 80s and all your business is done in shadowy backrooms.  It's still easy to hide it through the expansion and boom periods of the 80s and 90s because the mainstream wouldn't care anyway and the company still kept a lot of the inner workings hidden and kayfabed everything.  But pretty much everything is public now, we have a scandal-driven 24 hour news cycle, and WWE is being very public with their wrestlers on reality shows, talkshows, etc.  I think it's only a matter of time before someone starts paying attention to the fact that they, with some exceptions, still treat their wrestlers like it's 40 years ago.

Maybe Bix can write a story about it for Deadspin and get the ball rolling.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

This was basically Ryback's argument in that manifesto he wrote after leaving.  While it may seem patently absurd on one hand, on the other hand, the WWE controls who receives pushes so basing salary on who gets pushed means WWE can pay people whatever they want.  Ryback specifically argued he was cooled off and hidden on the pre-show right as his contract was expiring and he was starting to get over again so they could justify offering him a lower contract renewal.

As for Cena and Hawkins, he also argued that despite their position on the card, they were putting their bodies on the line equally, so were deserving of much more comparable pay.

That is basically my point- where it did stem from Ryback's argument for the problems.

A union could make a minimum salary for wrestlers or benefits, but at the same time- where other sports leagues have their contracts worked out from their agent (so Michael Carter-Williams couldn't demand the same minutes James Harden gets or the same money), the WWE dictates who gets pushed and who doesn't get pushed, and from there that dictates how much money a worker gets...and if people are deserving of more comparable pay between Cena and Hawkins due to putting their bodies on the line equally, that would also stand to be a problem.

With that alone, it would stand to reason that a unionized wrestling promotion would likely have to eventually deal with guaranteeing union members a push, just to keep a Ryback situation of cooling them off and hiding them on the pre-show as his contract expires just to offer a lower renewal from happening again. 

If that happened, it wouldn't be based on "well, the office likes Roman Reigns so let him get the World Title", and wouldn't be based on "well, the fans are begging for Cesaro to get a push so he gets the World Title"...but in all likeliness, based on seniority and"Well, Zack Ryder's a 11 year veteran, so it's his turn to get a World Title run."

6 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

If that happened, it wouldn't be based on "well, the office likes Roman Reigns so let him get the World Title", and wouldn't be based on "well, the fans are begging for Cesaro to get a push so he gets the World Title"...but in all likeliness, based on seniority and"Well, Zack Ryder's a 11 year veteran, so it's his turn to get a World Title run."

So basically, no different than it is now.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

At some point I am going to have to start a Del Rio Dumpster Fire thread

I'm rather surprised you haven't honestly, but he's due for one.

I don't read any wrestling news on the weekend, so imagine my bewilderment seeing all the crazy shit that's gone down the past couple days.  Dixie on a WWE show (seriously, what the fucking fuck, man?) Aries being released/fired (goddamnit) AJ winning the US title (Yay!) and now AEP arrested (unsurprising)  And I still feel like I missed a story or two.  Crazy couple days indeed, folks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm rather surprised you haven't honestly, but he's due for one.

I don't read any wrestling news on the weekend, so imagine my bewilderment seeing all the crazy shit that's gone down the past couple days.  Dixie on a WWE show (seriously, what the fucking fuck, man?) Aries being released/fired (goddamnit) AJ winning the US title (Yay!) and now AEP arrested (unsurprising)  And I still feel like I missed a story or two.  Crazy couple days indeed, folks.

...and a pretty meh ppv on top of it

15 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The problem with a wrestler's union is, and always will be, the way to make things equal for a union would go against everyone- promoters, wrestlers, and the fans themselves.

With all the best will in the world, I'm not entirely convinced you really understand the trade union movement. (Nor associations for independent contractors). Unions don't push for "equality" in the sense of everyone getting paid the same. This is why Tom Brady makes more money than whoever punts for the Patriots. This is why someone who has just started in a steel mill gets paid less than someone who has been doing their job for 20 years (& bare in mind please that a Wrestlers Union is going to much closer to the NFLPA than a steel workers union because of the status of independent cotnractors). Yes, salary is certainly one area of concern for unions/trade associations, but it's also about ensuring employees have protection from employers acting in an arbitrary manner. Have slightly stronger job security. Can provide benefits like training members, health insurance, life insurance, traditionally unions in dangerous jobs like mining would pay out to cover for their members funerals, free legal advice is offered. Something like the International Union of Sex Workers (part of the larger GMB union in the UK) provides legal advise to members, offers self-defence training and also trains members who are leaving sex work for other fields, to prepare them for "real life". You can't tell me that the weirdly sheltered world of professional wrestling wouldn't benefit from something like that, as well as the sorts of courses that the NFL & NFLPA run for rookies on financial management for example.

SAG aren't bossing screenwriters & movie producers around, telling them that actually Steve Buscemi thinks it's his turn to play the hunky teen heartthrob, so why on earth do you have the idea that wrestlers a Curtis Axel would be able to demand to headline Wrestlemania? I'll leave it there before this turns into any more of a sermon on trade unionism, but I do think you've slightly confused their goals with that of extreme Marxist Leninists.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

That is basically my point- where it did stem from Ryback's argument for the problems.

A union could make a minimum salary for wrestlers or benefits, but at the same time- where other sports leagues have their contracts worked out from their agent (so Michael Carter-Williams couldn't demand the same minutes James Harden gets or the same money), the WWE dictates who gets pushed and who doesn't get pushed, and from there that dictates how much money a worker gets...and if people are deserving of more comparable pay between Cena and Hawkins due to putting their bodies on the line equally, that would also stand to be a problem.

With that alone, it would stand to reason that a unionized wrestling promotion would likely have to eventually deal with guaranteeing union members a push, just to keep a Ryback situation of cooling them off and hiding them on the pre-show as his contract expires just to offer a lower renewal from happening again.

I think a more realistic outcome is collective bargaining for a certain percentage of "wrestling-related income" to be allotted to wrestler salaries, which WWE has to spend. You would have a vet minimum for guys like Ryder where he's still making more than he would on the indies, but he wouldn't be making as much as Cena or even someone like Cesaro. 

Taking the belt off a stable person who is really good in ring like Lashley to put it on the no-showing, always-in-the-news-for-altercations, mediocre Del Rio is such a TNA move. 

Call it TNA, call it Impact Wrestling, call it GFW, but it's still the same terrible company with a couple of glimpses of really good stuff every few years. 

• Like 2

It's too late, they'll always be TNA. It took the biggest wrestling company ever 10+ years to get most people on board with changing one letter (and even then there's still the occasional out-of-the-loop WWF mention from some ancient sports announcer or something).