DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 minute ago, Ace said:

I'm guessing he requested it.

My personal theory based on nothing is that either they a) asked him to become a full time commentator or b) he wanted to not be a cruiserweight anymore and they said no.

• Like 1

Again all speculation right now but remember he was vocal about getting dicked over at Mania when they didn't put the kickoff show on the DVD release

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Could it be so he could promote his book and they wouldn't let him have time to do that? 

Has to be something along those lines or Vince being vindictive about his Wrestlemania remarks. If it gets spun as "creative had nothing for him", I would call major bullshit. If your "creative" team has nothing for a guy that can work face or heel, cruiser weight or heavy, adapt to practically any style then some sort of change needs to made and it doesn't involve the individual wrestler. On the other hand, it's possible that VKM is driven to fits of rage by the sight of cauliflower.  

Sucks that he's moving on but I never got the sense that Aries was one of those "WWE is my dream and nothing else will do" guys. He might just enjoy the freedom of being an independent wrestler, and he probably can earn a mint making the rounds these days. Shit, ROH needs some new blood. I'd love to see him tear it up there.

Edit: "New blood" was the wrong term, but you know what I mean.

All signs are definitely pointing to him asking for it

As the WON story pointed out - he was schedule to face Neville tonight on the MSG show and that was still being promoted as such this morning (he was replaced by Cedric Alexander)

Wrestling Observer's story on the release:

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/austin-aries-released-wwe-238786

AUSTIN ARIES RELEASED BY WWE

BY JOSEPH CURRIER | @JOSEPHCURRIER | JUL 7, 2017 3:44 PM

News of one of the more surprising WWE releases in some time came today, with WWE announcing in the late afternoon that Austin Aries is no longer with the company.

WWE posted a statement on their website: "WWE has come to terms on the release of WWE Superstar Austin Aries. WWE wishes Aries the best in all of his future endeavors."

Not long before the news of his release was announced, Aries tweeted: "It's a beautiful day." He followed up by posting three emojis (a banana, a smiling face with sunglasses, and a thumbs up) when the news came out, seemingly indicating that he wasn't unhappy about being released.

Aries had been scheduled to challenge for Neville's Cruiserweight Championship at tonight's house show at Madison Square Garden until recently. He was replaced by Cedric Alexander.

After his lengthy feud over the title with Neville ended, Aries' last appearance on WWE TV came on the June 20th episode of 205 Live. He continued his partnership with Jack Gallagher, which was formed the week before when Aries claimed that he wasn't medically cleared to compete due to neck and leg issues.

There was a situation before that where Aries seemed to indicate on an episode of Busted Open Radio that he was taking time off due to injuries, but he later denied that was the case when asked about it in an interview with USA Today.

We'll have more on this story when further information becomes available.

If Aries requested it and is happy, then I'm happy for him not staying just because it's WWE and being miserable. As previously mentioned, Aries also never struck me as the "WWE is my dream job" type. I think having him in the cruiserweight division was a waste. I would have liked seeing him get moved to Smackdown and mix it up with Owens, Sami, AJ, and Nakamura.

Didn't Aries almost retire when he didn't picked for a season of Tough Enough?  Seems like a guy who at least considered WWE the top of his profession.

Given that his alliance angle with Gallagher wasn't really mentioned the last two weeks of 205, I am not that surprised by this.

9 hours ago, Sublime said:

For some reason this makes me think that there has been a fourth little pig all along that the storytellers have left out. Perhaps our society would be less sexually repressed if you pulled back this censorship and reclaimed the fourth pig. "The fourth little pig built his house out of dongs and when the big bad wolf came upon it......"

The fifth little pig built his house out of pancakes. He's doing quite well for himself and has gone international.

• Like 3

The nWo Japan theme was used for all the nWo video entrances on the WCW Nitro game, IIRC.

I am a sucker for the Nirvana knockoff themes that DDP and Raven had. Love 'em.

• Like 1

I have thought the cruiserweight division has been a waste of time since the start. You have Finn Balor being pushed as a heavyweight and Daniel Bryan headlined a Wrestlemania. Aries would have been better off being on the main roster going after the US or Intercontinental titles. I would say the same thing for Neville. 

Right now the Cruiser belt seems like a second place trophy than something really different. 

• Like 2

Yup - word on the street is that the reason was Aries wanted out of the cruiserweights and they basically said nope so he asked for his release

• Like 1

It's a shame because he was putting in probably the best work on the roster. He was at least Top 3 guy in terms of match psychology and consistency. And he was getting over pretty much through just wrestling, kind of like Matt Hardy did over that year post-Edge feud.

He's not a guy I'd build around, but he's a guy I'd have fucking plans for, whether it's as a gatekeeper like Matt says, or just as perenial midcard IC title threat. He makes other people look better, he's a good talker, and most importantly he can make people give a shit even when they're too tired to give a shit.

I told my son Aries was let go and he said "Vince is terrible."

I don't even know where he gets this from. I don't go around telling him about the inner workings of how shit works.

• Like 14

I don't blame Aries, then. The cruiserweight division is never going to be what the CWC was. The CWC was great, but it should have been left at that. Taping 205 Live after Smackdown was like a death blow for the division.

• Like 1