DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I think Enzo is really good at selling being hurt. He gets sympathy. He connects with the fans when firing up. He doesn't really have any moveset. He doesn't look convincing at all "hurting" other people.

In other words: He's perfectly fine as a JTTS-type who can speak on the mic. Want to bring in a new heel from NXT and want to introduce the character? Have someone you're trying to freshen up? Pair them up with a guy like Enzo who is really good on the mic to get that character over. 

Want a guy to get the crowd hot at a house show? Have his music come out first so everyone can join with his singalong. 

Those types of roles are really important. Not everyone is built for the main event. But having someone who can get other people over and/or get a cheap pop from the crowd is a plenty good role.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MonteCarl said:

I don't think the guy is going to get truly better in the ring. Maybe a little more competent, but not a whole lot better. But with his charisma and mic ability, he doesn't need to be Daniel Bryan-like in the ring. He just needs to be able to string some moves together and establish some sort of over finisher. Maybe Spike Dudley's old LSD running corner bulldog or something? Something he can hit on anybody.

I've always thought with all the guys on Legends contracts/friends of the company etc. they should do vignettes where old wrestlers teach young ones their signature moves.  Have Enzo meet up with Jake Roberts and get him to teach him the secret of the DDT (Kayfabe and real-wise).  The only problem is that you already have one guy (Miz) and one gal (Bliss) who already hit nearly picture-perfect DDTs as set-up moves.

• Like 1

I'm kind of hoping Big Cass and Big Show have an oldschool feud over the word Big. They could turn it into a whole "Big Show is the old veteran giant and his time may be up...but he's still a giant...." to build up some sympathy.

And after Big Cass cheats to beat Big Show, he has to change his name to just "Show" and that's when he decides to retire for awhile.  Then maybe he can come back in a year or so for a short program when he's fun again.

Have Enzo catch a serious beating that gets him stretchered out and retired from in-ring activity because he's kayfabe not cleared medically.  From there he can get a stable together and occasionally bump or work a mixed tag match and nobody is expecting him to return to the ring.

Or after Big Cass flubs as a singles guy have them act like their breakup wasn't a big deal and get back together.  It wouldn't be unprecidented.

I don't know why people act surprised about the NFL findings. Football is always going to be dangerous. You can minimize the risks but it is still going to be dangerous. You reach a point where you either ban it or accept the good outweighs the bad. 

With wrestling I don't think it is different. Even the safest style is dangerous. WWE is not as interested in safety as they are the illusion of safety. So they'll ban chairshots, piledrivers and blading. But run ladder matches regularly and have finishers more dangerous than piledrivers. 

The NFL for their part take care of players after retirement. WWE needs to take care of its performers beyond paying for rehab, which is more for PR than any real concern. 

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

I'm kind of hoping Big Cass and Big Show have an oldschool feud over the word Big. They could turn it into a whole "Big Show is the old veteran giant and his time may be up...but he's still a giant...." to build up some sympathy.

And after Big Cass cheats to beat Big Show, he has to change his name to just "Show" and that's when he decides to retire for awhile.  Then maybe he can come back in a year or so for a short program when he's fun again.

If we're going to rehash the Harlem Heat 2000 feud over the letter T, then I demand the return of Big T to come in and also claim ownership over the term Big.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I was thinking about this after watching Enzo get buried in the ring for the umpteenth time by Cass, but what do you do with him now? He's shitty in the ring, but a special talent on the mic and has a ton of charisma despite what this board thinks.

Do you send someone like that back down to NXT to see if he can turn the corner as a singles wrestler? Or do they stick Enzo with Show to keep doing the same old shit.

My dream since Sunday night is to just team Enzo up with Khali, with Khali doing all of Cass's catchphrases... catchphrase.

I mean, the matches might be nightmarish but I think it would be a fair trade.

41 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

If we're going to rehash the Harlem Heat 2000 feud over the letter T, then I demand the return of Big T to come in and also claim ownership over the term Big.

How about a 4 way between Cass, Show, Booker and Big T over the use of Big and T. The result being Big T loses his name altogether.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, username said:

My dream since Sunday night is to just team Enzo up with Khali, with Khali doing all of Cass's catchphrases... catchphrase.

I mean, the matches might be nightmarish but I think it would be a fair trade.

Is Khali capable of spitting out something that sounds like SAWFT?

• Like 2

Chiming in on the Heenan line late but Tony Schiavone talked on his podcast that the announcers weren't told who the third man was beforehand. So, Heenan wasn't spoiling anything. If Hogan was a decoy then you can have Dusty yell at Heenan for doubting Hulkamania. As noted, entirely in Heenan's character to cast aspersions.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Chiming in on the Heenan line late but Tony Schiavone talked on his podcast that the announcers weren't told who the third man was beforehand. So, Heenan wasn't spoiling anything. If Hogan was a decoy then you can have Dusty yell at Heenan for doubting Hulkamania. As noted, entirely in Heenan's character to cast aspersions.

Interesting. I supposed it makes sense to work the announcers a little bit, to get a more honest response. But really they don't have to say much. The crowd does all the talking until Hogan begins his promo. 

I think they are missing the boat with Enzo. I mean the crowd's obviously like him. Kids get their parents to buy his merch, so he must be making them a ton of money. So the whole locker room hates him. That's no reason to have go out there and get killed dead (well completely). In a perfect world he would be a manager for a bunch of guys who can not talk what so ever. But we know they're just gonna keep on having him get the shit kicked out of him cause why not.

It sucks for Big Cass because he really is dead in the water. He's like an early 90's Kevin Nash just waiting for Shawn Michaels to give him life.

• Like 1

Cass doesn't have the craziness of Sid.

He doesn't have the swagger of Kevin Nash/Diesel.

He's Jersey Shore Test. I don't even think he has a ceiling like Big Show or Kane. Meltzer or Alvarez pointed this out, but he's getting heat now because people like Enzo. Once people get bored of that feud or creative moves away from it, he'll die a slow death.

Or he'll win the Royal Rumble. WHO KNOWS. 

• Like 3

When it comes to the wrestling, I rarely step outside the DVDR bubble. That being said, I listen to the 6:05 podcast frequently because once you get past the first hour or so, they have some really great interviews with guest who aren't the norm on the podcast circuit, but recently, I joined one of their Facebook pages and am appalled and ashamed to be lumped into the "wrestling fan" category with those martians. The pile-on mentality that these folks have about particular personalities have because of a host that is dying to be famous, makes me wanna hurt someone. 

DVDR....I appreciate you. 

• Like 6