DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

15 hours ago, John Austin said:

i don't  participate in twitter, just follow some folks to get news and stuff, today I've seen a bunch of folks complain about a guy named Fray, who is this guy/girl and why is he  so hated?

He's a big wrestling fan who posts a lot on Twitter and blocks people with reckless abandon.

On 7/20/2017 at 1:53 PM, Ace said:

Virgil's money is made in showing up on a bus, photobombing selfies then trying to convince saps to pay him $30 for it.

FTFY

I thought Bennett had good to very good matches against a variety of opponents in TNA and think he will excel in WWE eventually when he gets to do more. In my opinion, there's certainly worse and more boring just on SDL alone.

This may have been his best and I remember it receiving praise from most who saw it.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
13 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Did the Freebirds and Rock and Roll Express ever have a major program anywhere? I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Does the Hayes/Garvin version count? They had that "corporal punishment" match at Capital Combat in 1990.

3 minutes ago, Sasha said:

Does the Hayes/Garvin version count? They had that "corporal punishment" match at Capital Combat in 1990.

Morton feuded with the Hayes/Garvin Freedbirds on house shows later that year, usually with Steve Armstrong as his partner (Gibson was injured).  Maybe the plan was for a RnR/Freebirds feud before Gibson got hurt?  Morton/Rich also wrestled the 'Birds on the house show circuit in 1991, sometimes in six-mans with El Gigante and Badstreet rounding out the teams.

Morton also had a short feud with the Freebirds in Memphis around 1979 or 80.  He was tagging with Rocky King at the time.

Freedbirds and RnR wrestled each other a couple times in Mid-South, but didn't really feud.

11 minutes ago, Bear Wyatt said:

I believe that's former MTV VJ Kennedy with Dolph.   Interesting couple.

She's a current FNC/FBC contributor, so it's not that odd.

3 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Morton feuded with the Hayes/Garvin Freedbirds on house shows later that year, usually with Steve Armstrong as his partner (Gibson was injured).  Maybe the plan was for a RnR/Freebirds feud before Gibson got hurt?  Morton/Rich also wrestled the 'Birds on the house show circuit in 1991, sometimes in six-mans with El Gigante and Badstreet rounding out the teams.

Morton also had a short feud with the Freebirds in Memphis around 1979 or 80.  He was tagging with Rocky King at the time.

Freedbirds and RnR wrestled each other a couple times in Mid-South, but didn't really feud.

Thanks...I totally spaced on on that 90/91 WCW stuff. The reason I asked is because I saw a short clip of the Hayes interview with JBL and he mentioned that Robert Gibson got him his first job in the business in Pensacola. Weird that at some point in the 80s that the Birds and RnR didn't have an extended feud.

33 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Thanks...I totally spaced on on that 90/91 WCW stuff. The reason I asked is because I saw a short clip of the Hayes interview with JBL and he mentioned that Robert Gibson got him his first job in the business in Pensacola. Weird that at some point in the 80s that the Birds and RnR didn't have an extended feud.

I don't think they spent much time in the same territories prior to both ending up in WCW.  RnR formed in '83, spent most of the year in Memphis, had a couple short stints in Mid-South through 1984 and '85, then went to Mid-Atlantic/JCP by summer of 1985.  Freebirds spent 1983 and '84 mostly in World Class, toured Japan a couple times (AJPW), went to the WWF for a short-lived stint, spent time in Florida, then spent most of 1985 in the AWA.  They were both in Mid-South at the same time, and wrestled a couple times, but never had an extended feud.

By the time Garvin/Hayes reformed the Freebirds in WCW, the Rock n' Roll Express were getting pushed down the card while the Birds got pushed up the card.

I actually kinda like the Garvin/Hayes incarnation of the Birds, though i feel like they were overpushed in WCW and, by that time, WCW was swinging towards larger tag teams (Doom, Skyscrapers, Steiners, Roadies, SST, etc.) so I never quite bought them as a credible threat.  Kinda wish they had ended up in SMW after the WCW run.  SMW had a decent tag division and Cornette gave tag teams plenty of time.  And RnR proved they could still go.  Their matches with the Heavenly Bodies (including a number of 60 min draws, irrc) were a lot of fun,

• Like 1

On 7/21/2017 at 9:21 AM, cwoy2j said:

So I stumbled upon a Netflix movie called Russell Madness. It's about a dog who becomes a pro-wrestler with the help of his trainer who is a talking monkey. John Ratzenburger and Fred Willard are in it. John Morrison is also in it.

russell2.jpg

11615_5.jpg

19 hours ago, Shibata Is My Homie said:

He likes them older women.

I just did a quick Google search for her age and it turns out she's married.  So unless it's something we don't know about seems like they're just friends hanging out.

On 7/7/2017 at 7:59 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

21 years ago today, the world turned upside down...

I always cringe at Heenan's spoiling of the result with his "Whose side is he on?" 

There should have been no question whose side he was on as he approach the ring. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nate said:

Didn't this used to be "Russellmania"?  Or is that my own Mandela effect?

Watched the film last night while doing laundry with my lady. The dog is called Russell Mania and Russell Maniac all thru out the movie. I don't think Russell Madness is ever said. 

36 minutes ago, Kronos said:

I always cringe at Heenan's spoiling of the result with his "Whose side is he on?" 

There should have been no question whose side he was on as he approach the ring. 

There could have been a guy on fire and Hogan could walk up with a bucket of water in hand and Heenan would still question if Hogan would put the fire out. That's just who Heenan is. In hindsight, one of my favorite parts about Hogan's heel turn is that it vindicated years and years and years of Heenan pointing out that Hogan was a scumbag and every other face announcer thinking he was crazy.

• Like 16