DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Enzo is a good promo, I didn't know that was in dispute? I thought the one he gave last Monday (it was last Monday, right? I don't really watch RAW anymore) was pretty heartfelt and pretty good, in my opinion. I don't think he's really had a chance before to give a promo with actual substance, before this feud with Cass he never needed to. His bread and butter is always going to be smacktalk and catchphrases, but I think if they need him to, he can go deeper.

I agree his in-ring work is kind of bad, but that's never been his role. It's just going to be even more exposed now since he doesn't have Cass to hide behind in matches, unless they just let him be the FIP all the time in his matches. Which basically makes him a jobber.

TLDR - Enzo is an acceptable serious promo, but better with catchphrases and shit. He also is pretty shit in the ring, and Victator is just a weird guy and is better off defending JBL as a bully.

• Like 2

It's funny, but the one thing I take issue with is Enzo's look. He's only short by conventional wrestling standards (and still taller than plenty of former world champions.) He has a unique style that's at least culturally relevant. I also get the impression that a lot of women love Enzo. Though they do seem to be the kind of women that work full time jobs to support their boyfriend's attempts at becoming Instagram celebrities or tricking out their late-model Honda Civics. 

• Like 1

Maybe this is the whole "he'll never be world champ, so he's shit" thing. He never will be world champ and WWE doesn't really do managers, but they have a lot of tv to fill and at least Enzo brings something different to the table. And you can like his promos or not, but they have been (for the most part) entertaining the crowd since he started. That's more than many others on the roster can say.

Enzo is good at selling and a better promo than most.  He may end up the new Santino but Santino had a pretty darn decent spot for a long time, and would probably still have it if his neck didn't betray him.  

It might not be a top spot, but it's a spot, and it means he'll be on TV and involved in the mix for a long time, and that's not a bad place to be.

Not everyone has to be, or can be, or SHOULD be, the World champion.  The rest of the card needs bodies too, and who knows, Enzo might learn how to work in the meantime.  Crazier shit's happened.

• Like 5

My only knock on Enzo is his intro is so repetitive and may work with the live crowd but is fast forward material for me. How many times can you hear  the same exact spiel over and over. Even during the Cass feud, he comes out all hopped up and pissed but before he can cut his money promo he needs to tell you what a bonafide stud he is.

As a wrestler I actually kind of dig him cause he's something different.

I'm not sure if it's cute or delusional that y'all think Vince is going to let a minor annoyance like death stop him from running the company.  He'll still be running the company in a 100 years, Nixon-style:

tumblr_m9yk7ke53w1rawb5do1_500.jpg

The only real question is whether he'll decapitate Shane or Stephanie to be his Agnew.  My money is on Steph.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I'm not sure if it's cute or delusional that y'all think Vince is going to let a minor annoyance like death stop him from running the company.  He'll still be running the company in a 100 years, Nixon-style:

tumblr_m9yk7ke53w1rawb5do1_500.jpg

The only real question is whether he'll decapitate Shane or Stephanie to be his Agnew.  My money is on Steph.

Kevin Dunn

Enzo is one of the best promos in the company. Someone else pointed it out, but away from here, he's over like Rover. If all you have to go off of are the opinions of people here, sure, you'd think Enzo was dog shit and should be released already. Instead, his merch moves more than all but the top few in the company. The last two promos he cut were objectively great. When he's on the mic like that, it feels real. It feels legit. He doesn't come across as a guy reciting lines or waiting for his particular line. And that resonates with the audience at large. 

Is he the best worker? No. Can he get better? Sure. There's been way, WAY worse wrestlers than Enzo who have improved in the ring. Fucking JINDER MAHAL is a World Champion. If you're as good as Enzo is on the mic, you only need to get to a passable level in the ring. Not saying Enzo is world champion material, but he can be a good hand and a part of the show people actually want to see. Plus, if he's writing promos for Cass and Cass can somehow manage to squeeze out any sort of charisma that isn't spelling SAWFT, then him being around to help Cass will be good too.

If you really wanted to insult Vic, you should have talked about how shitty Demolition were. 

I mean, I like them, but I'm just saying that this is how you get to him.

Whether or not Enzo is good probably depends on your age and how much/what type of hip-hop you're into. Dude is the perfect hype man. He should be a manager, as others have said, and it's too bad that Vince doesn't utilize them. He should be hype man for Titus Brand wrestlers, really. That whole idea is an idea that should work if they got behind it, but they won't for many reasons. I digress. Enzo is a good mic worker, I think, and his in-ring bumping is all he needs besides that to be a solid managerial type. 

Can someone point to a good Enzo promo. I'm serious, my opinion on him is not locked in stone,

Of the promos I have seen, he seems stilted and slow witted. The promo where Jericho and even Charlotte butchered him and Sasha Banks stands out. But I don't watch every week, so there is stuff I could have missed. 

27 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This is what being a heel looks like in 2017...

56 minutes ago, Victator said:

Can someone point to a good Enzo promo.

His promo at GBOF and I think the week the before on Raw. There was also a ppv last year where Enzo and Cass tagged with Cena against AJ, Gallows, and Anderson I think. I haven't seen that one since it aired so I don't remember if it was actually great, but I do remember it getting next-level heat.

There's also their very first promo on Raw where he said he'd put D-von's lazy eye to work. But yes, the previously mentioned GBoF promo and the one from the go-home Raw that week both stand out as very good promos. 

It's a shame that Enzo's promo ability and charisma isn't in Cass' body. If you had that, you'd likely have your next superstar. Hell, I'd bet that guy would wind up being better than Cena.

So here's a thought...

Why not turn Enzo heel as well and just stick him with Cass as his manager. Wouldn't that be the ultimate, gutless, piece of shit thing to do? Align yourself with Big Show, lead up to a Cass vs Show match, turn on Show to help Cass win, have Enzo admit he can't hang on his own and he still respects Cass as a brother and he's going to prove his worth to him. Then after a month Cass hugs Enzo and fans get to boo Enzo being a gutless piece of shit who would sell out to hop on Cass' bandwagon and they get to boo Cass because...he's dull?

Eh, this will never happen. It would be career suicide for Enzo and it still doesn't help Cass be able to prove he can do this on his own.

• Like 2

Maybe you could argue about times being different, but what Enzo is doing worked quite well for Road Dogg. Was he great? No. But he could get a reaction from people and served his purpose in the company. Yeah, over time it'll get old, but he's in a comfortable spot, especially since Vince is a big fan. Which, history proves, is a good thing.

Road Dogg was a much better off the cuff promo and a better worker in the ring. His run as Hardcore Champion was really good. 

I do think it was a mistake splitting him and Cass. Without Enzo next to him, Cass every flaw is coming to the surface. 

• Like 2

I don't know if Road Dogg was better off the cuff. Most of his off-the-cuff stuff that I remember, I only remember because he cursed a lot or used slurs.

Point me to these good Road Dogg promos that I don't remember, please.

• Like 1

Road Dogg was always going to have a ceiling because of the level of talent on top (especially by 2001), but the only things that kept him from having a better singles career were his drug problems and their preoccupation with pushing Gunn as the Michaels. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I don't know if Road Dogg was better off the cuff. Most of his off-the-cuff stuff that I remember, I only remember because he cursed a lot or used slurs.

Point me to these good Road Dogg promos that I don't remember, please.

Most weeks he is just doing his spiel. He was good on doing guest commentary. I don't want to just say "He's an Armstrong." But he is an Armstrong and they all possess the DNA of Bullet Bob. Road Dogg came closer to Bob's skill on the mic than any of his sons. 

Upon further thought, I remember a good promo on the Acolytes building up to the Royal Rumble. 

8 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Road Dogg was always going to have a ceiling because of the level of talent on top (especially by 2001), but the only things that kept him from having a better singles career were his drug problems and their preoccupation with pushing Gunn as the Michaels. 

I think it was also his lack of build. Which did not matter as much in that era, but it would be an issue. Foley was an anomaly in overcoming that. 

What's check out time for WWE for their arena rentals?  Like there's got to be extra costs if they're still in there past midnight with all the union workers involved in these big arenas.  If they're cutting costs then I could see that as a bigger reason to cancel Talking Smack than Vince McMahon doesn't like guys sass mouthing off the cuff.

6 minutes ago, BEN! said:

What's check out time for WWE for their arena rentals?  Like there's got to be extra costs if they're still in there past midnight with all the union workers involved in these big arenas.  If they're cutting costs then I could see that as a bigger reason to cancel Talking Smack than Vince McMahon doesn't like guys sass mouthing off the cuff.

Checkout time for show/post show is normally around 11:20-11:30.  And taping Talking Smack happened while 205Live was on so it didn't go past that.  So that wouldn't necessarily be a reason for it being cancelled.