DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

9 hours ago, Victator said:

Well think about it, would you rather watch James Ellsworth and Carmella talk to Renee Young or watch Rick Rude vs Ricky Steamboat?

I misread this at first, and interpreted this as you asking about if I'd rather watch James Ellsworth and Carmella talk to Renee Young *while* watching Rick Rude vs. Ricky Steamboat.  

And the answer to that is yes, that'd be fucking awesome.

• Like 4

Enzo should have always been a manager. He s the perfect hype man, and I believe we have all been saying he should be a manager since his NXT days. 

He's that quintessential little shit in the High School quad that has his fingers on the pulse of every event going down and has his crew doing all the heavy lifting to make him some coin. 

Cass needs Enzo to remain over. Enzo needs Cass to remain employed. What they did was stupid.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Give Enzo an Underdog face run as underdog face cruiserweight champ for a couple months then cut his loose they should try to get something out of Enzo's singles run.

That only works if Enzo is likeable. I don't think he would be good as a manger since he is such a shitty promo. 

I like Enzo I like his promos I like the character I like his in ring style maybe subconsciously I'm a douche bag I don't know but I don't hate him like a lot of people here do.

• Like 4

Let's not kid ourselves, when they broke up Enzo and Cass were still Top 3, I believe, in merchandise sales.  I'm going to be very generous, and put roughly 0% of the cause of that being Cass being 84" tall and repeating 5 letters.  

Enzo needs a microphone to get himself over, that's it.  He's going to be fine, especially if they let him take the belt of Neville. 

1 hour ago, Victator said:

That only works if Enzo is likeable. I don't think he would be good as a manger since he is such a shitty promo. 

He might not be a Jim Cornette...but he wouldn't be a Johnny Valiant. 

I'm all for an Enzo manager run. 

Well, let's look at the less than total package, shall we? Enzo's ring-work... He does one thing well, and that's play human pinball. Not much to build a career on as a wrestler, but a manager that can be counted on to put the faces over by taking all manner of goofy bumps is not a thing that they have now, hence creating such a character is all kinds of positives. Enzo's mic work, I've said before that once you break it down, there's really no there, there. He's not a good promo, what he does do well is scream catchphrases and get the crowd involved. No he's never going to be on the Bockwinkel/Cornette/Arn level of promos, but what he does do is just fine. Less is more and Enzo can get more of a pop from two minutes of gibberish and starting chants than most guys can get from twenty-minute segments. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that what Enzo does is far more valuable than any twenty minute soliloquy because it doesn't break the flow of the show. Bring him in, let him hit his talking points and wham bam, go to the match. The real positive with Enzo is that the stuff that you want him to do as a bizarro manager is stuff that he already does well, you're not even needing to dial it up to "11", he's already there. 

WWE became successful by offering up a variety of performers, each with their own special set of tools, this resulted in both a rise and a fall, instead of realizing that variety is the spice of life, they attempted to clone the characteristics of a few top-of-the-card performers from the main-eventers all the way down to the opening match guys. The problem with this is obvious, if everyone's doing it (whatever "it" happens to be) "it" isn't special anymore. If Randy Orton is your template of what your main-eventer should be, (and I'm still on board with the idea that if you want to build a fed you can do worse than having Orton in your lead spot), then don't have the rest of the roster look, dress, and wrestle like Randy Orton, you've just destroyed your blue-chipper by making him ordinary. Let's look at the greatest marketing failure in the modern era, the push of Roman Reigns... What actually happened? Simple, they took away all the characteristics that made him unique and THEN tried to push him as THE GUY. Totally ass-backwards. Why is Dustin Rhodes and his goofy persona still over as he settles into his mid-forties? Because it's different. Why did Bray Wyatt get over huge on the strength of cutting bizarre promos? Simple, it was different. The character has been totally mishandled and is STILL over despite booking that would have forced most guys into retirement. WWE has the opportunity with Enzo to get a lot of mileage out of arguably the worst worker on the roster and all they have to do is let Enzo be Enzo. Hell, let him manage R-Truth, Heath Slater, and Curtis Axel, it would work. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get him reunited with Big Cass, because that dude by himself is dead in the water.

• Like 3

Enzo is short, ugly, can't work and his promo work is in question. He can do his catch phrases, but the second he has to break away from that he is lost. His work is dangerously bad, a danger to himself and others. A white Ahmed Johnson, minus the muscles and size. 

The most amazing thing the Revival did was get a good match out of him and Cass. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well if the stories from SI and other places are true then the main reason why Talking Smack was cancelled was because Vince McMahon finally watched the show 

Vince McMahon is the biggest detriment to his own company. For the good of the company and what's left of his family's sanity, he should be put to sleep.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MADCAP said:

Aren't discussing his merit as a manager instead of an in-ring performer?

Jerry Valiant? Now you're just being contrarian. lol 

I've never seen him cut a promo that suggest he could get someone else over. But he might surprise me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victator said:

Enzo is short, ugly, can't work and his promo work is in question. He can do his catch phrases, but the second he has to break away from that he is lost. His work is dangerously bad, a danger to himself and others. A white Ahmed Johnson, minus the muscles and size. 

I don't know about this he is apparently dating Liv Morgan she probably thinks he's hot as do many other screaming women in the crowds. 

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know about this he is apparently dating Liv Morgan she probably thinks he's hot as do many other screaming women in the crowds. 

If he is not ugly, I don't know who would be. I mean he looks like a meth lab exploded on him. 

I know I have had female family members swoon over Reigns and even Rollins. But I have never seen anyone go on about how handsome Enzo was. 

Just now, Victator said:

If he is not ugly, I don't know who would be. I mean he looks like a meth lab exploded on him. 

Well I guess my point is that I don't feel his look is going to be that big of a deal either way.  It's like Bray Wyatt,  they have unique looks.  Enzo stands out from the rest and he does cut pretty good promos even if a lot of it isn't my thing, the crowds still go bonkers.   I feel him and Cass together were worth more than them apart.  I agree that Enzo probably won't be pushed high on the card and some of that has to be because he's not a good wrestler... that's the biggest knock I have on him.  Can he go in the ring?  No, he can't. I don't know if he'll get there either. 

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Vince McMahon is the biggest detriment to his own company. For the good of the company and what's left of his family's sanity, he should be put to sleep.

Or just show him old episodes of Prime Time Wrestling and see if he even knows the difference. 

"Paul, that looks like Mr. Fuji...."

"No Vince, that's Nakamaura"

"Ah. Glad to see you've finally begun listening to my character ideas!"

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Or just show him old episodes of Prime Time Wrestling and see if he even knows the difference. 

"Paul, that looks like Mr. Fuji...."

"No Vince, that's Nakamaura"

"Ah. Glad to see you've finally begun listening to my character ideas!"

I'd be all for Nakamura Vice in a fashion police segment.

• Like 9

I was thinking about this whole "who has been attacking the Fashion Police" angle thats been going on and to me the most logical reveal would be a debuting team called up from NXT but and forgive me i"m not as well versed in NXT as I was a few months ago so I don't know what tag team it would be. They just broke up DIY and the only two teams i could see being called up are AOP and Heavy Machinery and they are currently in a tag title program on NXT Tv and I don't think either team is particularly ready for the main roster yet. Is there a team I'm missing? 

9 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I was thinking about this whole "who has been attacking the Fashion Police" angle thats been going on and to me the most logical reveal would be a debuting team called up from NXT but and forgive me i"m not as well versed in NXT as I was a few months ago so I don't know what tag team it would be. They just broke up DIY and the only two teams i could see being called up are AOP and Heavy Machinery and they are currently in a tag title program on NXT Tv and I don't think either team is particularly ready for the main roster yet. Is there a team I'm missing? 

The Brothers Singh?