DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I have no idea what this means.

I'm thinking he's had enough of Gallagher's umbrella spots and would prefer to see him presented as a serious wrestler instead of a comedy character with a prop?  If that's what he meant, I certainly agree.

• Like 3

I don't really think of him as a comedy wrestler either, but I think the umbrella getting over is going to prevent him from getting pushed on 205Live, much less getting out of the cruiserweight ghetto.  I think spots like getting thrown over the top rope and grabbing the umbrella to try to break your fall Mary Poppins-style are more dumb than cute.  I'm all for Gallagher getting exposure, but i prefer what he was doing in the UK to 205.

• Like 1

I don't see how that is going to prevent him from getting pushed at all. He literally got pushed because of that type of stuff. He is one of the more over guys on 205Live and gets featured regularly. I also don't recall the spot your talking about. He usually just dives to the outside with the umbrella or uses it as a weapon. Also the cruiserweight ghetto talk is just kind of dumb. Majority of these guys would not be in WWE w/o the division, even the better guys. FFS, Neville was basically going nowhere before it existed. If you just prefer him in the UK that is fine.

• Like 2

The spot referenced was during the Rumble.

It isn't a Cruiserweight ghetto that Gallagher is in - it's a comedy ghetto. People were calling for him to be the one to finally beat Neville around the beginning of the year, but the umbrella makes him 2017 Funaki. WWE doesn't allow its comedy wrestlers to go anywhere or make any meaningful progress. That's why people are grumbling about Sami Zayn's recent promos.

• Like 2

He wasn't beating Neville back then because Neville was still early into his reign. There is a difference between Gallagher and Funaki both in talent and in the level/amount of comedy they have done. Sami isn't progressing much because WWE just doesn't seem that into him in general.

10 minutes ago, Eivion said:

He wasn't beating Neville back then because Neville was still early into his reign. There is a difference between Gallagher and Funaki both in talent and in the level/amount of comedy they have done.

Not what I meant - I meant the discussion at the time was that when Neville eventually does drop the belt (many are predicting SummerSlam), Gallagher could have been a strong contender to be the one to take it off of him. A lot of that talk has died down in favor of Cedric and I think that can be attributed to Gallagher being treated like a sideshow.

The comparison I was making between Gallagher and Funaki has nothing to do with their talent level. I meant that they were/are both treated as jokes instead of as potential title threats.

44 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Also the cruiserweight ghetto talk is just kind of dumb. Majority of these guys would not be in WWE w/o the division, even the better guys. FFS,

And that's the point.  Guys like Balor, Neville and even Aries are talent WWE wanted. The rest of these guys are who were hired to fill space for a cruiserweight show.
WWE would not look at a lot of these guy twice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Wasn't Matt Cross on the last Tough Enough? Or am I mixing up seasons and it was the one that spawned SILENT RAGE? I honestly can't remember.

That was the one prior, that Austin hosted. (And the only one out of that bunch that ended up spending any time on the main roster was Ariane/Cameron)

26 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Not what I meant - I meant the discussion at the time was that when Neville eventually does drop the belt (many are predicting SummerSlam), Gallagher could have been a strong contender to be the one to take it off of him. A lot of that talk has died down in favor of Cedric and I think that can be attributed to Gallagher being treated like a sideshow.

The comparison I was making between Gallagher and Funaki has nothing to do with their talent level. I meant that they were/are both treated as jokes instead of as potential title threats.

Actually Gallagher and Cedric were mentioned around the same time as guys perfect to beat Neville. Talk of Gallagher died down because they gave him the title shot early. I also don't really see how Gallagher is treated as a joke. Doing comedic things on occasion doesn't make you a joke.

22 minutes ago, Victator said:

And that's the point.  Guys like Balor, Neville and even Aries are talent WWE wanted. The rest of these guys are who were hired to fill space for a cruiserweight show.

True, of course you could also say the same with Kalisto who has done more than everyone on 205Live but is less over than most of them. And again I point out that Neville was basically lost until they made the division. Now he is one of the major focuses. W/o the division he is basically back to doing nothing.

Did the division make Neville?  I'd argue that his heel turn and changing his look had at least as much to do with getting him over.  I kinda think spunky heel Neville would be wrestling Noam Dar in a best of 1,001 series right now.  Of course, that would give Dar more chances to say "Alicia FAAAWWWWKKKKSSSS" so it wouldn't be all bad.

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

How were/are they wasted? What would it take for you to consider them being used correctly?

Having secondary feuds worth a damn so guys weren't dead in the water once they lost a title feud would be a good start. I had to check Gallagher's wiki to make sure he wasn't injured, it's been so long since he's been on tv.

• Like 1

Its a few pages back but Aries got a good year plus out of the WWE for a guy his size and age what else could you ask for? Now Aries can go back to the indies and make more money then he was before signing to the WWE. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back in ROH feuding with Cody for the World Title.

And another thing yes it costs a ton of money to put on a live show in MSG but with the history the company has in that building and what MSG means to combat sports and wrestling in particular I think every WWE MSG show should be a Network Special I mean they only go two or three times a year. The annual December 26th show should be on the network even if it's live to tape. 

13 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Having secondary feuds worth a damn so guys weren't dead in the water once they lost a title feud would be a good start. I had to check Gallagher's wiki to make sure he wasn't injured, it's been so long since he's been on tv.

Gallagher has been on pretty regularly. That said, its not been for anything too notable outside of the friendship with Aries and recent feud with Kendrick so you may have a point there.

1 hour ago, Cristobal said:

That was the one prior, that Austin hosted. (And the only one out of that bunch that ended up spending any time on the main roster was Ariane/Cameron)

I think that was the one Aries was a finalist for.  That said, the possibilities of Aries being critiqued by Hogan and then interviewed by Miz on Talking Smack should be in the Wrestling What Ifs.

1 hour ago, Victator said:

With these problems, it just comes to the same refrain.

If there's one thing that the 2010s "Reality Era" has killed for wrestling, it's this Ricky Bobby era of "If you're not first, you're last" for wrestlers. It just seems to be that fans now think if you're not winning the World Title at Wrestlemania in the main event, then you're no better than the jobbiest jobber that ever jobbed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cristobal said:

Yeah, at Matt Cross just mentioned this on Art of Wrestling.  That had Ariane/Cameron who gave us this HOF Gif....

xnt4l5.jpg

Matt Cross, Ivellise, Marty the Moth (who are all on Lucha Underground, who had a common producer or director, so the connection there), Rim Fakhir, the Miss Michigan who got eliminated because she was taking a beating,  That was won by Andy who never made it out of developmental after getting popped for a wellness violation.

The last season of Tough Enough was hosted by Jericho, had Hogan as a judge until the sex tape leak when they brought in Miz to replace him.  That had Patrick Clark (now Velveteen Dream) getting voted off by the fan voting despite the fact all the coaches loved him.  It really felt like Patrick felt he had to play up being a reality show bad guy so he teased a few fights and the last few weeks was kind of picking on ZZ who had the sympathy and vote for the worst vote.  Early in that season, ZZ had the babe in the woods charm about him, but as it went on, it was kind of clear he was either not taking this as seriously as he should was just lazy and why he didn't really last two long even after they signed him.  

As for Aries, I can see him not wanting to stick around.  After he lost the program with Neville his options were kind of back to the announce booth or into a secondary 50/50 booking where he's not going to be kept strong because the Neville feud ran it's course and it's someone else's turn.  It's probably a bitter pill to swallow when you're in feuds with Nakamura and Joe in NXT and they don't see any of that for you.  I almost wish they let the Cruisers do occasional matches vs the heavyweights even if it's in six mans or as part time tag teams.  As other people mentioned, when you have Balor working heavyweight and they can't see it for any of the other guys, especially a veteran like Aries, that's not promising for them pushing merch or any other perks.  He's a good enough talker and a good enough worker still that I'm sure he can go out and find a spot somewhere.

5 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

With these problems, it just comes to the same refrain.

If there's one thing that the 2010s "Reality Era" has killed for wrestling, it's this Ricky Bobby era of "If you're not first, you're last" for wrestlers. It just seems to be that fans now think if you're not winning the World Title at Wrestlemania in the main event, then you're no better than the jobbiest jobber that ever jobbed.

Well that is not it either. Weight classes don't have a point when you realize fans will accept smaller guys wrestling heavyweights. 

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

True, of course you could also say the same with Kalisto who has done more than everyone on 205Live but is less over than most of them. And again I point out that Neville was basically lost until they made the division. Now he is one of the major focuses. W/o the division he is basically back to doing nothing.

Neville was getting a decent push before he was hurt. He would be better off as a Raw midcarder than king of an internet show nobody watches. 

19 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Hedging my bets on Owens pisssing hot. 

Hot...pockets?  That's not wellness.

5 hours ago, Cristobal said:

That would have been such a weird male grouping. 5 true rookies, Patrick Clark with less than a year of wrestling experience, and a 37 year old former ROH and TNA champion.

He didn't make the cast for the Cold Stone-hosted Silent Rage season.  Was going to retire until TNA called him.

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For those wondering what Brysynner is talking about

I wonder if this is somehow going to tie into the WWE being able to use the Broken gimmick for the Hardys

No.  She was Angle's boss for like a decade.  Also, the owl men don't care about her and there probably aren't even any negotiations over the Broken gimmick anyway.  Matt's cryptic comments about the loyal soldiers' loyalty being rewarded soon or whatever are probably just about getting the tag titles back but he's wording it to work up the rubes over the Broken gimmick.

Because he clearly wasn't getting enough attention - Alberto Del Rio made a rambling Instagram post telling Triple H, the Usos and New Day to come to his restaurant in San Antonio this week so he could kick their asses (SDL is from San Antonio on Tuesday)

He spent most of it calling them pussies and saying they have no balls.