DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

15 hours ago, Cameron Swift said:

It must kill Vince to be getting this huge media exposure, but constantly be described as "a man with a CNN Logo covering his face"

"Goddamn that Ted Turner, pal!"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Okada was backstage at RAW

EVERYONE READ WAY TOO MUCH INTO THIS!!!!

Okada was at In and Out Burger last week, doesn't mean he's going to work there either.

• Like 3

22 years to be exact

Meltzer was obsessed with that story in May. He wrote about it for like 3 or 4 straight weeks

Kevin Von Erich, 59, was in Israel this past week (which was why he missed his receiving the Lou Thesz/Art Abrams Award at the Cauliflower Alley Club banquet that his son Marshall came to accept for him), and talked about doing one last match, which is scheduled for 7/9 in Tel Aviv on a show. I believe he will be teaming with sons Ross & Marshall in the match on a show that will also include Matt Sydal and Marty Jannetty. In an interview with Ynet, Von Erich, who retired in 1995, said he was planning one last match and wanted it in Israel. “I first came in 1985 and I just loved it here. The people were so warm. I just lost a brother a few months before that (David’s death was actually February 1984) and maybe it was that had an impact on me. I wanted my sons to see it so much that I--I think I just decided to do what I can to have one more match.” He said he’s turned down WWF and Japanese groups regarding doing a farewell match, and obviously when TNA did their Dallas PPV where he was in his sons’ corner, they would have loved for him to wrestle then. Kevin was a major national star in his 20s, but the deaths of his brothers and decline of the promotion took away his passion in wrestling by the late 1980s. During their mid-80s heyday, the Von Erichs were gigantic in Israel, where World Class Championship Wrestling was one of the highest rated shows on television. While the story that all the wars would stop for one hour in the Middle East when the show was being broadcast every week was exaggerated, they were huge in the mainstream culture. They were treated like A-level movie or rock stars in Israel at the time. The irony is that Fritz Von Erich’s fame was as a hated post-World War II German heel at first, and his sons ended up being Israeli babyface superstars

Some more notes on Kevin Von Erich, who turned 60, on 5/15, doing his first match in 22 years and his retirement match on 7/9 in Tel Aviv, Israel. We’re told it is in a 5,000-seat arena and it will easily sell out. Kevin Von Erich had come to Israel five times in the 80s and 90s, did lots of television shows and met the President of the country. There were only three television stations in Israel in the mid-80s and American pro wrestling was never popular when one station put on World Class Championship Wrestling during the heyday of the Von Erichs and it became huge. Kevin’s recent trip saw all of the major Tel Aviv media talk with him. While there are local pro wrestling groups, there hasn’t been a pro wrestling show of any major significance in the country since 1995. Wrestling isn’t at all popular in the country, and nobody really knows about it, but the reaction to Kevin Von Erich’s trip was huge. He said that he wants to do this for his son, and compares it to when his father teamed with him in Texas many times. He did get some heat for some of the things he said, saying he doesn’t think women should wrestle, saying women should be ladies and also that he liked Donald Trump and didn’t like Obama, which didn’t go over well in Israel. Matt Sydal, Bad Bones John Klinger, David Starr, Tatanka and Marty Jannetty are advertised for the show, called “the Rage.”

• Like 1

Kevin Owens' DVD is sold out at a number of places. You can still get the DVD on Amazon, but the Blu-Ray option is sold out with no restock date listed.

WWE's ""Fight Owens Fight" DVD set was officially released today and is apparently, already a massive hit. In a situation I don't recall happening since the 2004 release of the "Rise and Fall of ECW" DVD, the Owens set has sold so well, it is sold out even on Amazon for fans who ordered in advance.

Our old pal Sideshow Shan sent the following... The Kevin Owens DVD was released today and it's completely sold out on Amazon. I preordered it a few days ago, but still ordered in advance and I just received an email that I won't get mine for more than 2 weeks, despite Amazon's promise that a pre-ordered item would arrive on the release date.

I just called three random Best Buys in NYC and all of them told me the set was sold out as well and they just opened an hour ago.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

Kevin Owens' DVD is sold out at a number of places. You can still get the DVD on Amazon, but the Blu-Ray option is sold out with no restock date listed.

In other news, Kevin needs an advance on his paycheck. 

• Like 4

Every time I seen Wale's name in print this morning, I have to stop and think "Is that the same guy that was on Smackdown last night?  Looks like him, but I thought his name was Wally."  I keep reading "Wale" as "Whale".

Sigh.  Obviously I am old and don't listen to rap.  I'm also extremely white.  Right now, I think I blend in with those big, fluffy clouds i keep shaking my fist at.

2 hours ago, kafkonia said:

Whenever I see Wale's name, I think of this:

But what you're sleeping on is that this big announcement for the Titus Brand took place on 205 Live! And you guys say they don't care about that show.

Cia Berg in thread sighting > Okada backstage sighting. 

As for the Von Erichs, did that tweet really say one of Fritz's kids was invading Israel? How can their be a invasion in wrestling without anyone from the NWO?

• Like 1

Chikara has filed a trademark for Jervis Cottonbelly. Needless to say, some people are a tad unhappy about it. They and Kaiju Big Battel are also going after DMCA violations against him and Louden Noxious (who was Gavin Loudspeaker in Chikara).

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I understand about 4 words in that sentence

If you did, you're overthinking it.