DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

First show of the Japan tour - Hideo Itami gets to work Chris Jericho

Second show... Enzo

Oh and in that second match, Big Cass came out and laid out both guys

Yup...

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Might as well immediately ruin July

So there are some weird elements to a horrible story. The article says Breaks is 80 and his wife was 47. Maybe he is spry, but it sounds strange hearing an 80 year old beating someone 33 years younger to death. 

I'm not doubting it happened, but have more details appeared?

3 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Didn't something similar happen involving Verne Gagne not that long ago? 

Not exactly.  Gagne did kill someone in 2009.  Gagne was diagnosed with Alzheimers and spent his last years in an assisted living facility.  In 2009, he knocked a 97-year-old man to the floor and broke his hip.  The man later died from complications related to the assault.  They were sitting at a table together and had some sort of argument.

Gotta admit, when i read the Breaks story, my first thought was that, at his age, maybe Breaks is suffering some form of dementia or CTE and didn't know what he was doing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Didn't something similar happen involving Verne Gagne not that long ago? 

Yeah, he bodyslammed his nursing home roommate. Verne had dementia so he wasn't charged with anything.

1 minute ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Not exactly.  Gagne did kill someone in 2009.  Gagne was diagnosed with Alzheimers and spent his last years in an assisted living facility.  In 2009, he knocked a 97-year-old man to the floor and broke his hip.  The man later died from complications related to the assault.  They were sitting at a table together and had some sort of argument.

Gotta admit, when i read the Breaks story, my first thought was that, at his age, maybe Breaks is suffering some form of dementia or CTE and didn't know what he was doing.

You beat me to it.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Breaks has dementia or something of that nature. But then again, he was living at home with his much younger girlfriend and not in any sort of facility or with a nurse or caretaker so who knows.

Mentioned in the RIP thread but probably deserves to be mentioned here too. 

My father, Herbert Meltzer, passed away this morning in his sleep at the age of 90.

I wrote some about him in the Friday daily update.

He was married for 66 years and he and my mother first met when both were teenagers. He told me that he lived a wonderful life, got to travel to almost everywhere in the world except Antarctica and was able to do pretty much everything he wanted to do. He lived a long life, appeared to be healthy until two weeks ago although obviously he was not but told me that he was never in pain. He was fully sharp and cognizant until the last few days. My family was exceptionally lucky to have him as long as we did and my brother and I, and my children were even luckier to have such a wonderful, brilliant and honest person as a father, grandfather and a role model.

He was diagnosed two weeks ago with pancreatic cancer and passed away due to kidney failure. He was still going to plays as late as Saturday, before he was taken to the hospital on Sunday and then put into hospice care after leaving the hospital on Thursday morning.

I would like to thank Kyle Klingman and Gerald Brisco at the Tragos/Thesz Hall of Fame last year, and especially Charlie Thesz for how wonderful they treated my parents, and Larry Matysik for his role in setting that up, because that meant a lot to them last year.

Thanks everyone for your support during this trying time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

You beat me to it.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Breaks has dementia or something of that nature. But then again, he was living at home with his much younger girlfriend and not in any sort of facility or with a nurse or caretaker so who knows.

I mean, it can take a while for dementia to be assessed or identified and if they're insistent everything is fine...who knows? Also as they were living in Spain as non residents who knows if they had the money or options to put him in one?

The account that he was just sitting on the porch when EMS showed up is weird and eerie. 

Also I can't find an actual certified DoB for him. Initial article said 80, online wrestling profiles say 1940 birthday which would be 77, and the police report said he's 88. Whatever the case, the absolute lowest age he could have been when his wife turned 18 is 48 which is real skeezy.

Some other details spoilered for graphic content:

'Beat to death' implies kind of a different thing than what more detailed reports are saying. Not sure who called but EMS showed up and found his wife in the tub, conscious but bleeding. She then died at the hospital and it was assessed her injuries were about 24 hours old. Meanwhile Jim was sitting on the porch watching the sunset.

The whole thing is super weird and it wouldn't surprise me if it's dementia related.

Trying to pivot away from death. 

I was not wild about the Great Balls Of Fire PPV name. But changed my opinion when I saw they got the song for the show. I like to think Vince was looking for a way to meet Jerry Lee Lewis. 

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

Going by logic, Vince must've just heard about and seen Quaid's "Great Balls of Fire" for the first time. 

I think Vince was a teen during the golden age of Rock and Roll. Jim Cornette said Vince has a great knowledge of pre eighties pop culture. I always figured once he started running the company he stopped paying attention to non work things. 

Cornette said he wanted to book LaWanda Page (Aunt Esther) to be Flash Funk's mother. 

I know nothing should be surprising at this point, but the entire country being as transfixed by wrestling gifs as we are is a new one. everything really is wrestling. now if the pres only knew how to take a damn stunner.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

I know nothing should be surprising at this point, but the entire country being as transfixed by wrestling gifs as we are is a new one. everything really is wrestling. now if the pres only knew how to take a damn stunner.

I'm at my desk this morning working on my computer with BBC Breakfast TV on as background noise, I hear Jerry Lawler's voice so spun round on my chair wondering WTF? I then see why as Trump posted the footage of him beating on CNN via WrestleMania 23 edit. 

4 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

It must kill Vince to be getting this huge media exposure, but constantly be described as "a man with a CNN Logo covering his face"

• Like 11