DVDVR Message Board

Your Upcoming Good Stuff On TCM Thread

EdA

Apparently the Underground line-up airs on late Friday nights now. It's cool, though. I saw Razorback back when it aired in January. I still can't believe they double featured it that weekend with that Shelly Winters octopus movie instead of that Peter Weller mutant rat movie "Of Unknown Origin" they roll out a couple times a year though. Too perfect of a pairing to pass up, idiots.

You can look forward to the Brood on the 13th and Alone In The Dark (not the shitty Uwe Boll one but the one starring Jack Palance and Martin Landau as escaped lunatics) on the 27th. In between, there's a lackluster weekend pairing Red Sonja with some awful Lou Ferrigno Hercules movie co-starring Sybil Danning's rack. This Friday, I've at least heard of The Strangler (starring Victor Buono AKA my favorite onscreen devil) and Night of the Strangler, which I've never heard of. One of the Monkees is the only recognizable name featured, so how shitty can it be? Yes, that's a rhetorical question. I'll be delighted if it's as awful as that Zodiac movie they dug up a few years ago. (Mild spoiler: his favorite bunny rabbit died which means more random assholes also needed to do so.) American Genre Film Archive is the quality seal of approval to look out for on these things.

https://www.americangenrefilm.com/releases/night-of-the-strangler/

https://www.americangenrefilm.com/releases/the-zodiac-killer/

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 9:42 PM, FluffSnackwell said:

Alone In The Dark (not the shitty Uwe Boll one but the one starring Jack Palance and Martin Landau as escaped lunatics)

On 4/4/2018 at 9:42 PM, FluffSnackwell said:

some awful Lou Ferrigno Hercules movie co-starring Sybil Danning's rack

Signing off on both of these. Alone in the Dark is gleefully demented. Hercules is one of Luigi Cozzi's classic debacles that is nothing but cleavage, stop motion and wooden acting. Set your DVRs, folks. 

EDIT: Alone in the Dark also features Donald Pleasence getting high in a mental asylum so there's that, too

God, the stars of that Hercules debacle are Mirella D'Angelo's (Circe) just being hot and Ingrid Anderson's (Cassiopea) butt.  Everyone knows that.

It is amazing how badly they fowled up Daedalus's mythology.  He went from being human's greatest artificer to a transgender maker of clockwork monsters.

The space chariot scene has to be the most awful thing ever in an awful movie.

Wednesday: great night of Michael Curtiz / Errol Flynn movies: Elizabeth and Essex, Robin Hood, Captain blood, light brigade, the sea hawk

Thursday: Victoriana including Around the World in 80 Days, The Time Machine, Jeckyll and Hyde (spenser tracy version).

Late Night Horror Friday: The Brood and Repulsion

Sunday late night: Greed, Solaris (72)

My personal feelings towards Polanski not withstanding, Repulsion is SO GREAT~! 

Too bad they're not showing it with The Tenant and Rosemary's Baby.

I'm also baffled as to why they wouldn't tie The Brood with something like Scanners or The Fly?   I can't believe that The Brood is the only Cronenberg movie they have the rights to show.

I will watch Robin Hood for the billionth time and still love it.

Surprisingly enough, the only Cronenberg films I remember TCM showing recently were M. Butterfly and Eastern Promises.  Not his usual horror catalogue.

As for his more traditional body of work, I have know I have watched both eXistenZ and Videodrome on TCM at one point or another.

Videodrome has been in the Starz rotation for about a year like Curt said, and Rabid has been on nearly that long in the Showtime Networks rotation.

They're doing a Peter Falk double feature with The In-Laws and Husbands late tonight/early tomorrow. I'm trying to dive into Cassavetes, so I'm recording Husbands. I went on a spree of setting recordings for TCM throughout next week, but I imagine it'll mostly be the digital equivalent of a pile of shame for some time. 

The Hammer version of The Mummy comes on at 2PM EST this afternoon.  My DVR is already set.

Actually, there are a bunch of old school horror movies coming on from mid-morning to early evening:

10:00AM EST - The Walking Dead

11:15AM EST - The Body Snatcher

2:00PM EST - THE MUMMY~!!!!

3:30PM EST - Macabre

4:45PM EST - Death Curse of Tartu

6:15PM EST - DRACULA AD 1972~!!!

• Like 2

One of the movies on the DVDVR GOAT Poll, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, comes on today @ 2:30 PM EST.

KILLER KLOWS FROM OUTER SPACE IS ON THIS FRIDAY @ 4AM EST ON FRIDAY NIGHT / SATURDAY MORNING~? FUCK YEAH~!

Oh, uh. The Magnificent Seven and Alone In The Dark are also on this coming Friday.

Saturday Sci-Fi double feature of The Quartermass Xperiment and Five Million Years To Earth starts @ 8PM.

Alone in the Dark is one of those perfect, completely forgotten and underrated films. The balance of humor and terror is perfect, and it's just a blast. If you missed it (and I did miss a chunk of it this time, but that wasn't enough to change my opinion), I feel sorry for you. Great little gem of a picture. 

• Like 1