DVDVR Message Board

Your Upcoming Good Stuff On TCM Thread

EdA

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

They did air Belladonna of Sadness, along with House, last October. I've still got it on my DVR. Recent additions have been Sheba, Baby, Black Gunn, and Caged Heat, according to said DVR so not everything's in the shitter.

Strange.  I also have House on my DVR, but it was in a double feature with Jigoku.  I think that the movie coupled with Belladonna of Sadness was Heavy Metal.

The last TCM Underground block I actually stayed up to watch was on the 3rd anniversary of Andy Sidaris's death so they showed Hart Ticket To Hawaii and Enemy Gold.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully you guys DVRed the Future Is Now triple feature from yesterday (Logan's Run, Soylent Green, Westworld) that started around Noon.

I've got a lot of movie watching to do over the weekend.

Edited by J.T.

22 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

They're fun to look back on now.

The fun thing about watching them now is to see the accuracies and inaccuracies of their predictions for our present time.

Some of them got climate change right but they missed the boat on global pandemics that destroy humanity or commercial space flights to the moon.

I was happy to see that guns still had bullets in Soylent Green.  Lasers are horribly inefficient personal weapons.

The future hysteria continues tonight with Planet of the Apes and Beneath The Planet Of The Apes.

TCM Underground disappoints me this weekend with a marathon of 60's and 70's anti-drug propaganda films like Keep Off The Grass and Narcotics:  Pit of Despair.

Sounder comes on Saturday night @ 8PM EST.  I cannot watch it because I don't want to spend the evening alternating between rage and fits of blubbering. 

I'll have to remember to DVD Touch of Evil at 4AM EST on Saturday night / Sunday morning.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I would be remiss not to remind Mark that The Big Sleep comes on at 10AM EST on Sunday and that Bus Stop follows up shortly around 2PM EST.

I'll probably be watching kung-fu movies on El Rey by that time.

DUDE! I'm glad I looked for myself because you totally neglected to mention that right before the drug propaganda films is freakin' CHOPPING MALL! I haven't seen that since it was on USA Up All Night back in the day. 

After The Big Sleep is Kiss of Death and Touch of Evil. The Terror and The Haunting are on early Wednesday with something called Two on a Guillotine before them, and then House on Haunted Hill, Tormented and Poltergeist round out the horror before a big slug of classic crime with Roger Corman's The St. Valentine's Day Massacre, '32 Scarface, Al Capone and Doorway to Hell. The '85 documentary Before Stonewall is on Thursday at 12 AM, that looks interesting. And then next friday for TCM Underground... drumroll please...

MULTIPLE MANIACS AND FEMALE TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those two are never leaving my DVR.  

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 2:04 PM, Curt McGirt said:

DUDE! I'm glad I looked for myself because you totally neglected to mention that right before the drug propaganda films is freakin' CHOPPING MALL! I haven't seen that since it was on USA Up All Night back in the day. 

Thanks to my antihistamines I totally slept on it, but I ended up DVRing Chopping Mall anyway while in a medicated fog.  

Edited by J.T.

Saturday 3 AM is the Larry Cohen classic It's Alive! @J.T. There's a couple other good things coming on in the meantime -- Mean Streets, Once Upon A Time In America.

Has anybody seen The Private Files of J. Edgar Hoover? It's on before It's Alive and is also a Larry Cohen piece so I'm sure it's gonna be good in some way. At least it'll be a chance to see Rip Torn. 

• Like 1

The trailers for It's Alive! scared the living shit out of me as a kid.   I've only seen it about once or twice all the way through so I may have to DVR it and check it out during the week.

Late night on Friday is gonna be The Yakuza, followed by Scary Movie (1991), and Texas Chainsaw 2. Scary Movie looks interesting: 

Holy crap, Monday at 1 AM they're playing The Night Porter and (ooof) Come and See back to back. Come and See is one of those movies you should probably see once in your life, but you will never ever ever have to or want to see again. Then they show a bunch of Tracy/Hepburn films and come back to the topic with Shoah: Four Sisters, The Sorrow and the Pity, and Night and Fog? Fucking weird. I guess they didn't want to have a whole day of massive bummers about the Nazis. 

Eyes Without A Face is playing 5 AM next Thursday so set your DVRs for that for sure. Then later that night we get the twofer of The Brain That Wouldn't Die and House of Wax before a Magnificent Seven marathon.

• Like 2

I’m recording Come and See and I have Au revoir les enfants saved already, so I’ll have to sit down with both of them one day when I’m willing to be devastated. Then I’ll just have to get my hands on Mephisto, and I’ll have seen all of the grim foreign Holocaust movies I’ll need to for this lifetime. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Today is Toshiro Mifune's birthday and TCM is in the middle of a miracle marathon.

Sanjuro is on right now, High & Low will be on at 5:30 PM EDT.

Then there's Seven Samurai (8PM), the DVDVR #1 Ranked Best Movie of All Time, Rashomon (11:45 PM) and Yojimbo (1:30 AM).

Throne of Blood comes on at some ungodly hour, so I will have to DVR that movie.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Continuing down this path, Saturday has Targets and The Last Picture Show back to back, in the wee morning hours of Monday we have more samurai with the first two entries in the Lone Wolf and Cub series, and then on Tuesday it's daylong classic '50s sci-fi (Them!, Forbidden Planet, etc.).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Continuing down this path, Saturday has Targets and The Last Picture Show back to back, in the wee morning hours of Monday we have more samurai with the first two entries in the Lone Wolf and Cub series, and then on Tuesday it's daylong classic '50s sci-fi (Them!, Forbidden Planet, etc.).

Outstanding! Forbidden Planet has always been a favorite. There really should be a whole lot more Shakespearean plays adapted to far-future settings. We really need a space-opera version of Two Gentlemen of Verona or Macbeth. ?  The failure of the Star Trek franchise to do A Merchant of Venice with the Ferenghi has to go down as one of the great missed opportunities.

There is simply no better time for classic samurai flicks than the wee hours of the morning!

• Like 1

Forgot to mention that tomorrow night we got the Gritty '70s lineup of The Panic in Needle Park, The Taking of Pelham One-Two-Three, and Klute. After that are Fingers (a Harvey Keitel gangster picture from '78) and Report to the Commissioner (with Michael Moriarty of Larry Cohen film fame and Yaphet Kotto), both of which sound interesting. 

Sunday AM is Logan's Run and 2010 (if you really need to see a sequel to 2001)

The full Tuesday lineup is: 

The Killer Shrews

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

The Thing from Another World

From the Earth to the Moon

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman

Them! 

Forbidden Planet

Godzilla, King of the Monsters

The Creature from the Black Lagoon

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

TCM is doing a podcast with Bogdanovich, so that might explain it.

• Like 1