DVDVR Message Board

Your Upcoming Good Stuff On TCM Thread

EdA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Guess it's time to revive this one for today: coming up at 12:30 Central is The Corpse Vanishes, followed by Terror Is A Man, The Brain That Wouldn't Die, and Young Frankenstein. Night and the City is on late after North by Northwest and is a noir about a wrestling promoter so I might as well mention that too...

• 2 months later...

TCM just hit gold on the Underground feature: ALONE IN THE FUCKING DARK

and oh crap you can see it in full right here

DONALD PLEASANCE (as stupid/crazy weed-smoking psychiatrist) and JACK PALANCE. And MARTIN LANDAU. AS PSYCHO SLASHERS. If you haven't seen it, you probably should. 

EDIT: Goddamn this movie is so great. It is a total 1982 punk rock, tongue in cheek, yet balls out not giving a fuck horror movie. Nobody could hit this tone today and make it work; it'd either be too much or too little of one or the other. Yet they nailed it. Damn.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ALERT ALERT ALERT

HAXAN IS ON NOW AND LE SAMOURAI IS ON LATER

ALERT ALERT ALERT

EDIT: This was my first time watching Le Samourai and boy, if that didn't exist there would be need to invent it. You can probably name a hundred or more films that have an influence from something in it. TBH this was my first Melville (I know, I know) as well; I need to see Bob le Flambeur and Un flik now...

Haxan, meanwhile, was just some pretty crazy shit. They didn't skimp on getting into the torture and flagellation and Satan making butter in place of masturbating and you name it. And this was in the '20s! 

Edited by Curt McGirt

The schedule has just been made available:

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 7.34.08 PM.jpg

1    henry fonda
2    ruth hussey (tcm backlot selection)
3    marlon brando
4    shirley temple
5    melvyn douglas
6    lena horne
7    james stewart
8    ava gardner
9    red skelton
10  rita moreno
11  humphrey bogart
12  ann sothern
13  brian donlevy
14  liv ullmann
15  rod steiger
16  irene dunne
17  errol flynn
18  audrey hepburn
19  buster keaton
20  dorothy mcguire
21  joel mccrea (tcm backlot selection)
22  leila hyams
23  fred astaire
24  shirley maclaine
25  dustin hoffman
26  mary astor
27  walter brennan
28  june allyson
29  paul lukas
30  susan hayward
31  kirk douglas

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just read that there's now a TCM Roku ap. I know I'll be disappointed, but I'm happy right now.

Until I just realized it's probably one of those " Type in your cable provider" deals that make no sense. If I had cable I wouldn't need the ap.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went through the guide looking for stuff to DVR and found Horror Hotel, The Devil's Own, Night of Long Shadows, Suspiria, and Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages late Thursday/early Friday morning, and Gojira, Godzilla, Godzilla Raids Again, Godzilla vs. Mothra, Mothra, and The Town That Dreaded Sundown (HOLY SHIT. I've still never seen this) Friday night/Saturday morning. This should be a good month...

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's Occult Night on TCM! We got the following comin' up: 

The Black Cat 

Curse/Night of the Demon

The Seventh Victim

The Devil's Bride

Blood on Satan's Claw

Dracula A.D. 1972

Eye of the Devil

I posted the TCM tweet for tonight in the horror thread. Forgot to post it here too.

• 1 month later...

They are showing some "A Day in the Life of Sharon Tate" puff piece from before the murders right now and I'm SERIOUSLY creeped out. Like, I'm no judge of good taste or anything, and I suppose you can look at it as a positive celebration of her life, but fuuuuuuuck. At the same time I can't look away. It's like being a fly on the wall, only having knowledge of what was to come. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 4:32 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Russ Meyer's notorious (Roger Ebert scripted, no less) Beyond the Valley of the Dolls will be on after the kaiju fest tonight

I remember the first time I saw this at the drive-in. I was about 7 or 8. My parents lack of judgement was my good fortune.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 12:36 AM, Execproducer said:

I remember the first time I saw this at the drive-in. I was about 7 or 8. My parents lack of judgement was my good fortune.

I just remember the joyous vision of those seventies boobies shattered by the murderous rampage of a homicidal reverse transvestite.

Is TCM Underground still a thing on the network or is it still that roaming city to city live theater deal?  It seems to be getting preempted by other shit quite frequently lately.

Edited by J.T.

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

Is TCM Underground still a thing on the network or is it still that roaming city to city live theater deal?  It seems to be getting preempted by other shit quite frequently lately.

Yep. They aired The Harder They Come and some other Jamaican flick last Friday.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yep. They aired The Harder They Come and some other Jamaican flick last Friday.

They're getting soft,  I remember when they used to air stuff like Belladonna of Sadness or Savage Sisters.