DVDVR Message Board

Your Upcoming Good Stuff On TCM Thread

EdA

Well I just saw that Stalker (1979) comes on late Sunday night ./ early Monday morning @ 2:15 AM.  I will DVR it so that I can finally sit down and watch it all the way through since I never got around to buying the Criterion and chose House and Dragon Inn as my Criterion Father's Day presents for the previous year and this year respectively.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

He Knows You're Alone (Tom Hanks' first film) and something called Slasher Film Debuts are gonna be the TCM Underground selections on Friday night/Saturday morning. 

He Knows You're Alone / Alice, Sweet Alice is your creepy double feature this Friday Night / Saturday Morning starting at 2:30 AM.

On 6/18/2018 at 1:14 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I should just start looking these up online instead of using my crappy TV guide, which stops at Saturday. Alice Sweet Alice is a must cause I've never seen it. 

I didn't know people even still bought TV guide. . .. 

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

No, the guide ON the TV silly

I hope you're joking anyway. Does anybody still buy TV Guide? People over 70? People suffering from dementia? 

Yeah, I was joking, but its still on the checkout counter so SOMEBODY must buy them.

On 6/18/2018 at 1:14 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I should just start looking these up online instead of using my crappy TV guide, which stops at Saturday. Alice Sweet Alice is a must cause I've never seen it. 

The guide on youtube.tv only goes ahead about 36 hours. Maybe less. :wacko:

I just noticed that ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK plays in the wee hours Friday morning. Don't sleep on this one, if you haven't seen it. 

Some comments I wrote about it a few years back:

Spoiler

About six months ago, I discovered the music of Bill Haley and his Comets. Oh, I knew "Rock Around the Clock", thanks to decades of Happy Days watching. But I never really gave their music a second thought. Bought a compilation from iTunes one day on a whim, and had an epiphany: This music is terrific! Sure, the lyrics were corny at times (although not always - there's some clever sexual doubletalk going on in places). But the band really cooked. Slap bass. Saxophone. Jazzy guitar solos. It's just good music.

So of course I had to seek out this movie. I've seen it three times now.

We have a story about a dance band manager who loses his job and sees the writing on the wall for changing pop culture. He and his friend stop in a little town for the night on the way home, and they encounter this crazy new "Rock and Roll" in the form of a Haley-led barn dance. He sees $$$ and signs them up. Of course, they have a gorgeous young woman who's feisty and clever. And our man also has a ball-crushing ex who happens to run the biggest promotional agency New York. She brings the triangular drama.

The dialogue is silly, full of slang that was probably already dated in 1956. The acting is a bit over the top, too, especially from Alan Fried (playing himself).

But oh, the music! Several performances by Haley and the boys. A number of other artists stop in, too, especially The Platters. And so much dancing! The musical performances earn this film an extra star, easily.

One other positive note: The two female leads are smart, strong, and in positions of business authority. (one is the aforementioned executive) That's a bit ahead of its time, and I give the film credit for it.

Back to Bill Haley: He's a bit of a goob, too old and schlubby to be a teen idol. It's no wonder he was only really famous for a couple of years before Elvis came along and took over his schtick. But I can't help liking the dude. Check him out - bet you can't listen without wanting to dance. . .

Uh oh -- here's the rest of the night ahead (EST): 

Beast with Five Fingers, The (1946)

TCM PRIMETIME - WHAT'S ON TONIGHT: MATRIARCHY MOVIES

8:00 PM

adventure

She (1965)

10:00 PM

adventure

Prehistoric Women (1967)

11:45 PM

adventure

Tarzan And The Amazons (1945)

1:15 AM

horror

Queen of Outer Space (1958)

2:45 AM

crime

Mack, The (1973)

4:45 AM

crime

Cleopatra Jones (1973)

The Swarm was really terrible, but I remember being terrified as a child watching that movie when the killer bees attacked a Nuclear Reactor and the plant exploded.

Directors in the Cold War / Three Mild Island era really knew how to hit you where you lived.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We have fourteen Summer Under The Stars first-timers this year: Lionel Atwill, Audrey Totter, Dorothy Malone, George Brent, Lupe Velez, Peter Finch, Barbra Streisand, Stewart Granger, Anita Louise, Virginia Mayo, Agnes Moorehead, Lew Ayres, Carroll Baker, and Marcello Mastroianni.