DVDVR Message Board

Your Upcoming Good Stuff On TCM Thread

EdA

6 hours ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

Every sequel/prequel/remake of THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD should be titled THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD

Even though they're all based on a novella entitled Who Goes There?

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Tomorrow: bunch of monster movies: them, Godzilla, Rodan,  50 foot woman, queen of outer space, thing from another world, ....

How the fuck did you manage to omit the fact that THEM! came on this morning?

Or that tonight features a heavy slate of really good stuff?

Forbidden Planet - 6:30 PM EST

A Fistful of Dollars - 9:30 PM EST

Eraserhead - 1:45 AM EST

LOGAN'S RUN - 3:30 AM EST

I earned a shit ton of awesome points by texting my mom and telling her that fucking Rodan will be on at 12:30 PM.

40 minutes ago, J.T. said:

How the fuck did you manage to omit the fact that THEM! came on this morning?

Or that tonight features a heavy slate of really good stuff?

Forbidden Planet - 6:30 PM EST

A Fistful of Dollars - 9:30 PM EST

Eraserhead - 1:45 AM EST

LOGAN'S RUN - 3:30 AM EST

I earned a shit ton of awesome points by texting my mom and telling her that fucking Rodan will be on at 12:30 PM.

Isn't them the first movie I listed? Or was my sin not adding the exclamation point?

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Isn't them the first movie I listed? Or was my sin not adding the exclamation point?

And it is supposed to be in all caps so old men like me can see it properly!

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

WC Fields tonight: bank dick, the dentist, David copperfield, ...

Also Million Dollar Legs, which is super-wacky and waaaaay out there on the Fields spectrum.

My dad was a huge Fields fan. Per my mom, he even used to introduce himself to people as "Larson E. Whipsnade" for awhile.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:41 AM, odessasteps said:

For the Sunday night owls (looking at you JT), 2 Rudolph Valentino Sheik movies tonight. 

Good lookin' out.  Got to watch the entire Sheik marathon!

If it wasn't for Dog Day Afternoon, I probably wouldn't have made it through the night. 

Sooooo very tired right now.

I have to get home as fast as I can so that I can DVR The Swordrsman Of Siena @ 7:45 AM before I crash for the morning sleep installment.

TCM Underground is all about the Blaxploitation this weekend.

2:00 AM Sunday Morning (13 Jan):  - THE MACK~!!! 

4:00 AM Sunday Morning (13 Jan) -  SUPERFLY~!!!

HOLY FUCK, RAZORBACK COMES ON @ 2:30 AM ON SUNDAY, JAN 27TH~!!!

They could've followed it up with something better than Tentacles, though.

Too bad that TCM doesn't have the rights to Pigs aka Daddy's Deadly Darling, Evilspeak, Pig Hunt, or Chawz to keep the Evil Killer Swine theme going on.

Now I need to hit up my friend and borrow his copy of Boar.

FUCK YEAH RAZORBACK!!! I haven't seen that in like twenty years. 

Also hyped for The Mack because incredibly, I haven't seen that at all. 

EDIT: Murder Inc., airing prior to The Mack and Superfly, features a young Peter Falk as "Kid Twist" Reles if you're interested. I got it for my dad in a box set that also had The French Connection, The Seven Ups, and The St. Valentine's Day Massacre but it didn't make much of an impression. 

To this day, I am astounded by the sheer number of wrestling fans that do not know how the MX got their name.

I am amused by the wording of Mark's post that suggests that the movie is using the MX's entrance theme instead of visa versa.

One of those movies you just need to see the once. Watched a couple minutes last minute and was just like, yeeeeeeah... I don't need to see this again. Incidentally I looked it up and didn't realize Oliver Stone wrote the screenplay and that they had to do some major apologies to Turkey because of what he came up with from the true story. 

When I was a kid, my dad used to randomly exclaim that he was "Petey Wheatstraw, the devil's son-in-law!" and none of us honkies could figure out what the Sam hell he was talking about. I thought he was making the shit up or worse possessed. A few years later, my best friend used to randomly shout "Dolemite!"  Back when TCM Underground played Dolemite recently, the length of those trailers is about as long as I watched the actual movie. Or either I had it on in the background and got distracted by something else. Shit, I can't remember. Maybe it was just too goofy for me to get into. Or I wasn't high or drunk enough.  

I caught The Mack this weekend if for no other reason than to finally have some context to the breastesses scene playing on the television in Drexel Spivey's apartment.  Don Gordon (Southern sleazy judge from The Beast Within) didn't disappoint as the crooked cop fondling said breastesses. How long was it from Goldy getting out of prison to winning Mack Of the Year? It didn't seem like the events of the movie covered a whole year. Or was he just that damn good to claim the mantle after only being back in the game for six weeks?

I also believe seeing Midnight Express only once (over a decade ago) was enough for me.  Leave it up to Oliver Stone to run with a news item and grime up the whole experience to a dude being stuck in that kind of shithole. I've only seen the big burly warden dude, Paul L. Smith, in Midnight Express, Pieces and Sonny Boy. It seems like he should've popped up a lot more than he did in stuff like dumb shit eighties action movies as the heavy. I'm sure he probably played the evil wizard in some second rate sword and sandal Conan ripoffs. This is my favorite version of the theme.

THE NIGHT VISITOR COMES ON THIS SUNDAY MORNING @ 2:00 AM EST~!

And then you should set your DVR to shut off quickly, lest you submit yourself to the torture that is Exorcist II:  The Heretic.

I really should sit down and watch all of Absence of Malice on Sunday night @ 8:00 PM EST but it just takes too long to get to the best part where Wilford Brimley steals the movie and kicks the shit out of everyone. 

Part of me still believes that the sole purpose of Absence of Malice is to serve as the Fuck You to All The President's Men's idea of journalistic gallantry and altruism.

On 1/19/2018 at 3:20 AM, FluffSnackwell said:

I also believe seeing Midnight Express only once (over a decade ago) was enough for me.  Leave it up to Oliver Stone to run with a news item and grime up the whole experience to a dude being stuck in that kind of shithole. I've only seen the big burly warden dude, Paul L. Smith, in Midnight Express, Pieces and Sonny Boy. It seems like he should've popped up a lot more than he did in stuff like dumb shit eighties action movies as the heavy. I'm sure he probably played the evil wizard in some second rate sword and sandal Conan ripoffs. This is my favorite version of the theme.

Smith managed to make it into 3 of my favorite bad movies.  There's Sonny Boy, which I'm always glad to find out somebody other me has actually seen.  He showed up in Lynch's Dune, laughing maniacally while throwing motherfuckers off of buildings.  And of course there's Crimewave.  Who knows what that might've been without the legendarily troubled production.  I mean you've got the Coens and 80s Raimi/Bruce Campbell.  You've got Paul L Smith doing Paul L Smith things, teaming with Brion James as the bad guys.  You've got Campbell playing "Renaldo the Heel".  It's still terrible, but I love it anyway.