DVDVR Message Board

Your Upcoming Good Stuff On TCM Thread

EdA

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I actually fell asleep watching it. Young hairy Dean Stockwell is almost as creepy as... well, any Dean Stockwell?

Dunwich Horror starts off almost painfully slow and then goes completely off the rails in the last forty minutes.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm definitely staying up til the wee hours to see that. Hilarious

I can hear a voiceover from him in my head:

"Man is a strange creature that performs self destructive activities all the time, and I do this to prove that point. I would like to renege on the bet but I am a man of my word.

The shoe needs a little salt and pepper. Maybe some ketchup."

EDIT: If you don't have a DVR or don't want to stay up until 5 in the morning, here it is

I'll be damned, they had ketchup on the table. I was also close with my fake quote because he said "I hate cowards"... and they even talked about self-destructive behavior! 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:20 PM, J.T. said:

Saturday, September 2nd / Sunday, September 3rd

• WESTWORLD~!!! (10:45 PM EST)
  • DEMON SEED~!!! (12:30 AM EST)
  • SCANNERS~!!!!! (2:15 AM EST)
  • THEM~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4:15 AM EST)

If you missed this line up last weekend, you only have yourself to blame.

My DVR is now 30% full after recording EVERYTHING~!

I will probably end up DVRing Belladonna of Sadness this Saturday night / Sunday morning just to satisfy my inner movie hipster snob and check the "I watched that weird shit" block after I check it out.

I've seen Fantastic Planet dozens of times, so I can skip that.

The Adventures of Robin Hood comes on this Friday at 1:30PM EST.

The weekend on TCM Underground we have:

2:30 AM - The Awakening

4:30 AM - Blood From The Mummy's Tomb

Blood From The Mummy's Tomb was a fairly decent adaptation of Bram Stoker's short story, The Jewel of the Seven Stars. 

The Awakening, not so much.

This summer's premier flop, The Mummy, even less so.

The Stone Killer (Charles Bronson, Martin Balsam, dir. Michael Winner) is gonna be on 11 PM Central Wednesday night, followed up at 3 AM that next morning by Klute. I'll watch anything starring Bronson from the '70s (so should you) and Klute was one of the few suspense/thriller films that showed up in the old horror clipfest Terror in the Aisles so I need to check that out. 

• Like 1

Huh, didn't know that Jane Fonda won the best actress Oscar for Klute. It's also part of a so-called "Paranoia Trilogy" by Alan J. Pakula along with The Parallax View and All the President's Men (!). I've only seen the indoctrination scene from Parallax but it's pretty crazy. 

Funny enough, I think where I saw that was TCM because they were discussing it after a different movie in one of their between-film features. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Huh, didn't know that Jane Fonda won the best actress Oscar for Klute. It's also part of a so-called "Paranoia Trilogy" by Alan J. Pakula along with The Parallax View and All the President's Men (!). I've only seen the indoctrination scene from Parallax but it's pretty crazy. 

God, they will try to lump anything into a trilogy these days.  All The President's Men was based on Watergate which happened in real life and The Parallax View was based on some other work. 

Pakula had a thing for political thrillers, but's it's not like he set out to create a set of movies with any sort of creative or thematic commonality.

It's not like Park's Revenge trilogy where revenge is a deliberate theme and Park came up with all of the stories and concepts.

Uh, I think you can give The Stone Killer a pass. The soundtrack is great but the rest is basically a white '50s-era man afraid of the world getting his jollies. 

I just wrote that and I'm sitting here watching Bronson, saying after bottles were thrown at his cop car, "that's the power structure. They're the enemy", talking about the people throwing the bottles. AFTER the movie started with him killing a 17 year old kid for no reason. Yeah, fuck this movie. I could deal with some dumb vigilante shit but this is too close to home and not well enough done. Not to mention calling people 'spades' at random...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There was a Universal Horror marathon on last night that I neglected to mention. Barry Lyndon is on tonight around nine-ish Central, Stand By Me and Time Bandits are back to back starting around 11:15 Thursday (boy these times are messed up), fucking AFTER HOURS is on at 1 AM Sunday (!!! maybe I'll finally get to see it), and later that day they've got a block of

The Return of Dracula (?)

House of Dracula

Billy the Kid vs. Dracula (!)

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (so, if you haven't seen it, you have no excuse not to)

Jigoku

Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan

Um, get your DVRs ready

EDIT: Dammit, I've got a wedding Saturday. Somebody send me a burned copy of After Hours

THE RETURN OF DRACULA has the first time Dracula turns into a wolf in a movie.  It came out the same year as Hammer's Dracula, so it's basically forgotten.

Like The Picture of Dorian Grey, the entire movie is in black and white except for a single scene.

Business Formal Dracula awaits...

returnofdracula2.jpg

5 hours ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

Like The Picture of Dorian Grey, the entire movie is in black and white except for a single scene.

Or The Tingler. Neat. Swear I've never even heard of it

EDIT: Oh, and the second Coffin Joe movie, but that was more for financial reasons

JIGOKU~! HOLY FUCK~!

*checks schedule*

UGETSU AND ONIBABA ARE ON LATE SUNDAY NIGHT OCTOBER 29TH / EARLY MONDAY MORNING OCTOBER 30TH STARTING AT 2:15 AM~!

I also noticed that there are Blacula and Willard double features coming on before Halloween.

• Like 1