DVDVR Message Board

Your Upcoming Good Stuff On TCM Thread

EdA

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Hopefully JT is watching Carnivals of Souls at 0315 tonight. And then Freaks at 0615. 

Indeed I did.  There is also a big ol' Christopher Lee tribute today from breakfast 'til late afternoon featuring some Hammer Dracula joints, Rasputin, The Mad Monk, and a Fu Manchu flick. 

The only good thing about working swing shift this week is that I have my mornings to myself.

Edited by J.T.

TCM has quite the impressive Halloween line-up running from today through early Tuesday morning.  Notable movies include Curse of the Demon, Peeping Tom, Cat People, I Walked with a Zombie, The Tenant, Haxan, Cronos, Horror of Dracula, and a slug of Universal classics (Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, The Invisible Man)!

• Like 1

It's pretty much the standard mix. I wish they had a bit more variety. At least Carnival of Souls and NOTLD got passed on this year. 

Thief is playing at 9 PM on Tuesday as part of a whole block of Jimmy Caan movies. Heathers and The Chocolate War seem to be your Underground's High School Angst (and Murder) double-feature late next Saturday. Next Monday has a neat sci-fi block with The Time Machine, Battle Beneath the Earth, Time Bandits, The Ice Pirates, and Stalker. Shaft is playing at 3 AM on Tuesday (about damn time since I've never seen the whole thing). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Surprisingly, tonight is Heathers debut on TCM. 

It's on during the TCM Underground block of programming.  Heathers is arguably one of the least controversial movies they've shown in that time slot.  They've had an uncut Divine double feature on TCM Underground before.

Edited by J.T.

Tons of serious and campy sci-fi goodness on today.  I did not get home from work in time to watch Things to Come, but La jetee (the French short that inspired 12 Monkeys) comes on at 0845 EDT and The Time Machine, Stalker, Battle Beneath the Earth, Time Bandits, and The Ice Pirates are also on the schedule.  I will have to DVR most of it as I will probably be in my recovery coma by mid-morning.

Edited by J.T.

Angela Landsbury day on TCM 

Spoiler

TCM Remembers Angela Lansbury – Monday, November 21

6:15 AM – National Velvet (1944) – A British farm girl fights to train a difficult horse for the Grand National Steeplechase.

8:30 AM – The Three Musketeers (1948) – Athletic adaptation of Alexandre Dumas’ classic adventure about the king’s musketeers and their mission to protect France.

10:45 AM – Tenth Avenue Angel (1948) – A child of the tenements helps an ex-con find a new life.

12:00 PM – If Winter Comes (1947) – Scandal results when a well-meaning man takes in a pregnant girl.

2:00 PM – All Fall Down (1962) – A young drifter’s romance with an older woman is threatened by his possessive mother.

4:00 PM – Dear Heart (1964) – A middle-aged postmistress falls for an engaged man during a convention in New York.

6:00 PM – The Harvey Girls (1946) – Straitlaced waitresses battle saloon girls to win the West for domesticity.

8:00 PM – The Manchurian Candidate (1962) – A Korean War hero doesn’t realize he’s been programmed to kill by the enemy.

10:15 PM – Gaslight (1944) – A newlywed fears she’s going mad when strange things start happening at the family mansion.

12:15 AM – The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) – A man remains young and handsome while his portrait shows the ravages of age and sin.

2:15 AM – Kind Lady (1951) – A con artist and his criminal cohorts hold an old lady hostage in her own home.

3:45 AM – Sweeney Todd (1982) – The adventures of a mad barber with a penchant for cutting his customers’ throats, and his companion, a pastry chef who uses the victims’ remains as filler for meat pies.

(All times Eastern)

• Thanks 2

My grandfather would talk about Horn and Hardart all of the time. He said he used sour cream when he made mashed potatoes because of a (possibly apocryphal) story that the Horn and Hardart factory never cleaned their equipment and the vats were full of old thickened cream, which was what made it good. Either way he made some great mashed potatoes.  

• Like 1

Yep, that is what we folks on the Sim Support night duty staff will be watching on here on Night #2 of Yama Sakura 83.

Michelangelo Antonini / Monica Vitti double feature Sunday on TCM Imports.  

Edited by J.T.