DVDVR Message Board

Your Upcoming Good Stuff On TCM Thread

EdA

On 11/10/2021 at 2:41 PM, odessasteps said:

TCM added gold diggers of 35 online. Still no 33. ☹️

also added a bunch of doggy movies, from lassie serials to banjo to sounder.

No you didn't just refer to Sounder as a dog movie and put it in the same category as a Lassie film...

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

All the films that were added in that chunk featured doggies. Not all movies involving them are Lassie movies, obviously. 

We were just making good natured fun of the understatement here on post since it is the last day of the training exercise and everything is winding down.

Sounder is a dog movie.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is movie about a man with gender identity issues.

Edited by J.T.

I did a TCM watch last weekend! I think what I watched is still on the app or on-demand. 

The Outsiders: The Complete Novel - The extra scenes Coppola added and the scenes he cut make the movie better, but why did he ax his fathers amazing score for lame recreated 60's sorta guitar rock? The change of music makes the rumble scene almost comical, had he kept the score or replaced it with more legit music from that era it could have been better than the original.

Over The Edge - I forgot how good this movie is! The first 2/3rds is the most realistic portrayal of suburban life for 7th to 9th graders I can remember seeing in film or tv. I moved from the city to the suburbs halfway through 8th grade and it always seemed to me that I moved into New Granada, now it would have been 10ish years after the movie was filmed but the same type of shit was going down. That last 1/3rd is off the rails but so much fun to watch due to it becoming a borderline horror movie. 

To Live and Die in LA - This flick sometimes is forgotten when it comes to 80's action movies since it didn't get played over and over and over on HBO or Showtime, damn it's good and even with a few 80's action movie cliches it still holds up. Also, Dean Stockwell has a small part and as usual kills it!

• Like 2

I definitely had Over the Edge recorded; it took me years to finally see that movie. Someday I need to watch it as a double feature with Suburbia because the plot of that is like Over the Edge got the can kicked several years down the road, now the kids just become punks and run away from home to live in the Mad Max landscape that the suburbs have become. 

Or I could just watch it with River's Edge like the channel intended and feel the deja vu of my childhood on film once again. 

• Like 1

Divine / Tab Hunter double feature on TCM Underground in the wee hours of Friday night / Saturday morning.

2:30 AM EDT - Lust in the Dust

4:00 AM EDT - Polyester

Saturday night is your We Do NOT Come In Peace double feature:

8:00 PM EDT - IT!  The Terror from Beyond Space!

9:30 PM EDT - Alien

The double feature is proceeded by Treasure of the mother fucking Sierra Madre.  One of the films on the DVDVR Best Movies of All Time list.

A Streetcar Named Desire comes on Sunday afternoon.  I believe this also made the list.  I am old and am too lazy to check.

Set your DVRs accordingly.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

You missed that next Saturday at 1 AM Central is She Freak followed by The Mutations. Apparently that is a Jack Cardiff film starring Donald Pleasance as a mad scientist who makes mutants and then sells them to a carnival freakshow (!). 

Also, if you missed the '41 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, it's on again. Fredric Marsh is equally freaky in it. 

• Like 1

TCM Imports this weekend features vampires!

Monday Dec 6:

2:45AM EDT - CRONOS~!

4:30AM EDT - THE HUNGER~!

TCM Imports is then followed at 6:30 by CITIZEN KANE~!

FUCK YEAH~!

SET YOUR DVRS~!!!!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Marilyn Monroe and Errol Flynn (boooooo)'s last film and namesake of a certain band, The Misfits, is gonna be on too.

It was Clark Gable (yay?) Flynn had already died. His last movie is a weird semi-scripted documentary where he’s hanging out with Castro and the Guerillas right before the Batistans lost. 

• 2 weeks later...

Musicals triple feature starting tonight at 5PM EDT

First Camelot, then West Side Story, and The King & I round things out.

TCM Underground features Silent Night, Deadly night on Friday night / Saturday morning @2AM EDT.

TCM Imports on Sunday night / Monday morning features Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence @2:30AM EDT.

I probably should've mentioned that The Adventures of Robin Hood was on today since it is a DVDVR Best of All Times pick, but I figured we've all seen it a million times.

Edited by J.T.

Watched a movie on the App called Invisible Menace from 1938.

a man is killed on an island army base. Is it one of the soldiers, the doctor or the civilian engineer played by Boris Karloff? And the same night, a comic relief private sneaks his newlywed wife onto the island in a duffel bag for an unofficial honeymoon. But who is the killer?