DVDVR Message Board

Record Player Advice?

Kevin Wilson

There recently has been some awesome looking vinyls for video games coming out, so I purchased a few. Problem - I don't have a record player. So I was wondering if anyone has any advice for a record player that is good, but not too expensive (I'm trying to keep it under $250). Preferably with bluetooth since I already have bluetooth speakers, but not a requirement. I read a lot of reviews online but I don't really understand all the differences since I've never owned a record player before. Size isn't an issue, doesn't have to be portable.

I assume since y'all love music that someone has some experience in them, so I'm open to any recommendations. Since the popularity of vinyls has seemingly gone up in the last five years, there are just so many new players out there and I'd rather not buy one and then notice its missing something I need to actually play the record.

The few I have looked at, I am having trouble determining if they output audio vs. bluetooth from the record playing, or if the bluetooth is only if I want to play something from my phone through its speakers. They don't seem very clear on the bluetooth's function.

Just about all of them with built in speakers don't have transmitters, just recievers, so if you want to go to Bluetooth speakers, you're going to need an pre-amp with a transmitter.  I mean, like anything, if you want high end sound, you're going to have to drop some money on good components, even if it's a turntable that transmits bluetooth.

6 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Oh. Some also have a third speed (78 I think) so I wasn't sure if that was important.

78's are for older records (pre 60's) and a rarely made today so you probably won't be running into too many of those.

Yeah you'll never see a 78 haha

My advice: get a receiver, a pair of decent speakers and an Audio Technica AT-LP60. The Technica is relatively cheap (little over $100 if I recall) and dependable as hell. My buddy's had one for years and it's given him no troubles so I bought one after getting a crappy Ion Pure that skipped literally every record I played on it. It's a total workhorse and rules. 

Oh, and speaking of those video game vinyls, the same friend I was talking about has snagged a couple. They go REAL quick. The Castlevanias are awesome. 

Ah, also! I don't know if the ones you picked up are 12" or 10" sized so if it's the latter you'll have to pick up the needle and put it on the record, you can't just hit the button haha

Yes, yes old men and all...but please for the love of all that is sacred stop calling them vinyls tho. Goddammit.

Records or LPs are made of vinyl but they are still records or LPs. My t-shirt is made of cotton but I don't call it "a cotton."

I'll be in the basement playing Ice Hockey on my Atari you assholes.

• Like 3

Also of the two linked to I'd go with the Audie Technica with Bluetooth if you want ease and basic quality and the bluetooth is important.

Basically you are paying an extra $75 over Curt's suggestion for the convenience of not having to price/reserach/setup a receiver separately. You could probably get a better receiver than the built in one in the AT for more than that and still be under budget but if you're just dabbling that may be too much time investment.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh, and speaking of those video game vinyls, the same friend I was talking about has snagged a couple. They go REAL quick. The Castlevanias are awesome. 

Ah, also! I don't know if the ones you picked up are 12" or 10" sized so if it's the latter you'll have to pick up the needle and put it on the record, you can't just hit the button haha

I did good, I purchased these last week (only one is the special edition):

VelqSSc.jpg

AND THIS (only 600 made):

B7E9RPa.jpg

So I am pretty excited. Looks like they are 10".

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

Also of the two linked to I'd go with the Audie Technica with Bluetooth if you want ease and basic quality and the bluetooth is important.

Basically you are paying an extra $75 over Curt's suggestion for the convenience of not having to price/reserach/setup a receiver separately. You could probably get a better receiver than the built in one in the AT for more than that and still be under budget but if you're just dabbling that may be too much time investment.

Not gonna lie, I'd rather not buy all the components separately if I can avoid it. If I end up listening to it a lot I may upgrade later, but right now my focus is to get something that sounds good (ie not a kiddie one) but not one that will kill my wallet since its still unknown how much use it will get.

I've been putting off my purchase for awhile. the problem with most of the All-in-one lower end players are the needles tend to be kind of terrible (in that they're more likely to tear up your records) and not replaceable. 

The Audio-Technica LP-120 has been one I've considered getting; however, I've heard initial set-up/configuration can be tricky. Also, recently, I've had a few people brag about the below turntable.

https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable

Basically, with turntable and speakers, I've accepted I'm probably spending $300+, which is why I've yet to get one.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bluetooth always sounds a bit flatter than an analog connection.

Yea, definitely not an ideal long term solution. My records still haven't shipped yet so I am dragging my feet a bit, once they do ship it will probably encourage me to finally get one.

This sounds like a decent plan.  I'm a proponent of just spending the minimum you need to right now to get up and running and enjoy your records and then take your time down the road upgrading one piece at a time. Get listening on the cheap and then depending on where you live you can take some time to get to know the used market around you and in a few months maybe you find a nice used power amp for $50-60.

Then you can worry about adding some better passive speakers to that.

But don't try to buy the whole rig at high quality right away just to get the records spinning. 1) Most people just can't dump that much cash all at once and 2) You lose out on your chance to score some nice deals in the next year or two as you upgrade a bit at a time.

I got hold of an old Technics turntable for free that I want to put in our living room for some smooth jazz love making and so I'm going to get a cheap preamp ($75) and super cheap Class T amp ($70) and some Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers ($100 open box) just to get the sexing started. In six months or a year if I've got some extra cash maybe I'll splurge on a higher end player or a nicer amp or a better sex doll.

• Like 1