DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

So apparently it didn't post my thoughts the first time, so let's try this again!

I'm enjoying playing FIFA on the Switch,  I find the game plays well both in hand-held and docked mode, so technically its fine.  I think my only complaint has to do more with my own skill level at this point, I've gotten too good for the lower difficulty settings but  not good enough for the higher ones yet.  I've got to sit down and tinker with the settings and see if I can set up my own difficulty setting.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, I downloaded MLB The Show 2017, because I haven't played a baseball video game  since probably World Series Baseball on the Dreamcast.  I threw a perfect game with my create-a-pitcher in the first game of my franchise.  I'm pretty sure this means I need to go ahead and beef up the difficulty, but it was still pretty cool.

Dug my PS2 out of the closet, and broke out NCAA 2004.  I loved this stupid, broken game.  Can't remember the last time I'd played it, but I've got a rough idea based on my dynasty coach's name -  "Not Mike Sherman".  As evidence of how old the game itself is, Texas A&M is set to take on Colorado in the Big 12 conference championship game.  As evidence of of broken the game is, my strong safety is the favorite to win the Heisman.  He has 110 sacks through 12 games.

On 7/30/2018 at 2:29 PM, supremebve said:

So, I downloaded MLB The Show 2017, because I haven't played a baseball video game  since probably World Series Baseball on the Dreamcast.  I threw a perfect game with my create-a-pitcher in the first game of my franchise.  I'm pretty sure this means I need to go ahead and beef up the difficulty, but it was still pretty cool.

Update:  So I've turned on the dynamic dificulty and am now up to Hall of Fame level as a pitcher.  I'm still able to dominate in the early innings when my pitchers are fresh, but as soon as they start to fatigue things go downhill fairly quickly.  I'm still having a lot of fun, but it really feels like this game's difficulty curve is really off.  Batting went from home run derby to turning every pitcher into Cy Young in about a game and a half.  I just turned it to veteran and left it there, because the dynamic batting curve was too damn sharp.  As far as pitching goes, I went from throwing no hitters with 20+ strikeouts to giving up a home run every time a batter makes contact.  There isn't much space where you have to turn a double play or try to get a web gem.  I want to have to work to get guys out without being punished with a homer whenever I make a mistake.  Basically, I love the pitching mechanics and am pretty good with them, but I want defense to consist of more than just pitching.

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly cannot get a grasp on NBA 2k.  I'm still on PS3 and I'm playing the most recent one I have (2k13).. and unless my guys can get 3's or I just randomly luck into someone making a shot at mid or close range, I can't do shit on here.  And I have no idea how to play defense.

Are there any good guides out there for tips on this game?  I've looked around a bit and haven't found anything helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

FIFA 19 drops in a week or so. Anyone play FUT? The demo dropped last week and I will say, gameplay wise it's an improvement. It doesn't feel as robotic as previous years where everyone was almost identical in gameplay.

They got the UEFA licenses for the Champions League, Europa League and Super Cup, along with licenses for Serie A and they also made deals with LaLiga to include the majority of the Spanish stadiums and they reached an agreement with the Chinese Super League, so we will have Hulk, Oscar, Augusto, Bakambú, etc. back in the game which I am stoked for.

I used to play online season games regularly and just began playing FUT a couple of months ago and I had a pretty stacked Serie A squad with the big names from the league.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The new Out of the Park Baseball is out, and it has the Perfect Team mode.

I mention this because I randomly drew a 2005 Mariano Rivera closer card from a single baseline pack (1,000 coins, solely earned through ingame acheivements). I promptly then sold it for 105,000 Perfect Team Points. Depending on if the higher rank bonus perfect point purchases are permanent, that means someone paid the equivalent of $70-$100 for a bit of electronic bits for a game that not many will play after a full year.

I'm... ambivalent about this. I mean, it's kinda fun and cool to be able to get the best players from the Auction House, but... is this our future?

(the reason for the fluctuation in the value is that the game offers 50,000 Perfect Team Points for $50 with a bonus of 25,000 PTP on purchase.)

edit: I mean, I know that people will overpay to get this type of card because it's a big name (and a Yankee, so Yankee fans will pay extra to have them on their perfect team), but Rivera isn't even the highest ranked closer type of card in the game currently (There are the standard Unranked, Bronze, Silver, Gold, then Diamond (Rivera's level, a 96), and then Perfect (100 rated, like Rob Dibble at his filthiest). 

Edited by SirFozzie

• 3 weeks later...

FIFA is something that I always wished I was better at and play pretty much ever year. I've never bothered to learn Ultimate team as the economics of building a strong team, keeping coins, and not paying for packs has always been a head scratcher to me that someone seasoned could probably help me figure out over a couple of days.

Anyways, life has been chaotic so I don't game a lot lately but decided to fire up my first game in a month.  Started off rough and fell down 3-0 early in the second half, but I slowed down, relied a lot less on sprinting and more keeping my man between the ball and the defender, and racked up 3 goals to tie it. I barely sailed a go ahead goal in stoppage time to end regulation. All in all, it was one of my favorite comebacks ever if not my favorite because I had played awfully in the first half and watched my opponent confused as Lukaku quickly pieced together those first two comeback goals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Since I now have a PS4 - I would love to play MLB The Show finally

Is there a specific year I should look for or is the current one fine?

I'm always a fan of playing the most current version for sports games, but I always like playing with current rosters, and you're a big enough baseball fan that I think you'd probably concur.

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The current year is probably the best one where enough changes were made to really set it apart. The previous years were all great, but they were all also about as good as The Show 2016.

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

FIFA is something that I always wished I was better at and play pretty much ever year. I've never bothered to learn Ultimate team as the economics of building a strong team, keeping coins, and not paying for packs has always been a head scratcher to me that someone seasoned could probably help me figure out over a couple of days.

Anyways, life has been chaotic so I don't game a lot lately but decided to fire up my first game in a month.  Started off rough and fell down 3-0 early in the second half, but I slowed down, relied a lot less on sprinting and more keeping my man between the ball and the defender, and racked up 3 goals to tie it. I barely sailed a go ahead goal in stoppage time to end regulation. All in all, it was one of my favorite comebacks ever if not my favorite because I had played awfully in the first half and watched my opponent confused as Lukaku quickly pieced together those first two comeback goals.

I don't play it as much anymore but I put it on Beginner or Easy if I just want to fuck around.  But I can do the harder levels and not completely suck at it.  If not for wrestling games I would actually try Ultimate Team and all the bells and whistles.

2 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I don't play it as much anymore but I put it on Beginner or Easy if I just want to fuck around.  But I can do the harder levels and not completely suck at it.  If not for wrestling games I would actually try Ultimate Team and all the bells and whistles.

Yeah, I normally just dabble in online seasons and run with like MAN U or PSG. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Current one.  Between the Dynamic difficulty on hitting and the timing windows being more forgiving than in previous years, it's an easier jump in than previous years have been.

• 2 months later...
Guest Edwin

FIFA 19 is winding down and I packed TOTS Neymar, TOTS Marquinhos and SIF Ruben Días all together in a 100K pack a couple of weeks ago.

Made almost 8M coins and upgraded my squad and pretty much got every Icon I wanted to play with -- prime Maradona, prime Pelé, prime Sócrates, prime Maldini, etc. I eventually ended up with a 4-2-3-1 formation of base gold Courtois; TOTS red Alex Telles, mid Maldini, base gold Varane, TIF red Lala; base Vieira, base gold Kanté; mid Cruyff, prime Gullit, mid Eusébio; base gold Cristiano.

Gullit is easily the best card I've ever had and maybe the best card in the game. I originally got him off the market for 3.4M and then I noticed the SBC was cheaper, so I sold him and completed his SBC, but didn't pack anything noteworthy in it.

I've had a ton of other Icon cards in the game -- prime Zola, mid Baggio, base Sócrates, mid Raúl, base Raúl, mid Crespo, mid Veron, mid Bergkamp, base Seedorf, base Gullit and a ton of others I can't recall off the top of my head.

20 minutes ago, Edwin said:

FIFA 19 is winding down and I packed TOTS Neymar, TOTS Marquinhos and SIF Ruben Días all together in a 100K pack a couple of weeks ago.

I really wish I understood FUT enough to navigate through it. I want to do it or minimal to no expense and it seems like I'd end up just exhausting my cards of value and dead ending myself.

Guest Edwin
20 hours ago, Chaos said:

I really wish I understood FUT enough to navigate through it. I want to do it or minimal to no expense and it seems like I'd end up just exhausting my cards of value and dead ending myself.

FUT is pretty straight forward. You build your own squad by either packing players from packs or buying off market with coins.

You also buy other cards which include consumables such as fitness cards, managers, position changes, etc. The other cards are items such as balls, stadiums and kits.

Every week you can play against others online in Division Rivals, friendlies and if you have the qualification points, you can play in the Weekend League. Depending on your skill rating and qualification progress in Division Rivals, you'll get weekly rewards which can be coins or packs, its up to you which one you pick. For the Weekend League, the rewards of course are much better, however the competition is much harder. The Weekend League consist of 30 games which you can spread across from Friday through Sunday. You are not obligated to play all 30 games though, of course.

I'm a pretty good player as I am currently a Division 1 player in Division Rivals and usually average Gold 3 or Gold 2 in the Weekend League.

You can jump into FUT now to test it out, but just know a lot of casuals have stopped playing and you will mostly play hardcore players with super stacked squads. You can also opt to play against CPU though in other modes such as Squad Battles or Single Player Drafts. Of course the rewards for those modes are much less rewarding than the rewards for those who play online against other players.

To assemble the best club, you should of course find players in matching positions (CB at CB, LB at LB, etc.) from the same league or nation (Serie A players link to Serie A players, Italians link to Italians, etc.) and possibly try to get the highest rated card or the card that has the stats that best fit your club or playing style.

There is also a mode called Squad Building Challenge in which you can submit a number of players in exchange for a higher rated player. For example, I completed the Ruud Gullit prime icon SBC. It consists of 14 SBC's of 11 players each. It cost me about 2.4M coins which is a lot, but in exchange I got a pack for every SBC completed and at the end I receive a prime Gullit card which is one of the best and most balanced cards in the game.

I am someone who has been playing for a while now, so I have a pretty staked squad with Cristiano Ronaldo, Johan Cruyff, Eusébio, Ruud Gullit, Patrick Vieira and Paolo Maldini.

Even though the game is almost over, it is honestly a good time to tip your toes into it so you can learn as much as possible and that way you can transfer your experience over to next the upcoming FUT on FIFA 20 which should be similar.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't played a recent NBA 2k game since 2k13.. so I'm all lost on how to play since things seemingly changed a lot.  Am I wrong, or is there no legit training mode where they do the 1 on 1 drills to teach you the controls anymore?

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Will post in the futbol section too, but Juventus signed an exclusive deal with PES so they will not be in The FIFA game this year. They will be “Piemonte Calcio.” 

I'm not a fan of this at all. I wasn't when this stuff used to happen in generations past either. If it means no Ronaldo, I'm sure FUT will take a hit, but they may loophole that with using his national team version.