DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Edwin
On 7/19/2019 at 12:25 PM, Chaos said:

I'm not a fan of this at all. I wasn't when this stuff used to happen in generations past either. If it means no Ronaldo, I'm sure FUT will take a hit, but they may loophole that with using his national team version.

All the players keep their names. They just can't use the clubs name.

FIFA 20 is just around the corner. I already preordered the Ultimate edition.

They made some changes to Career Mode:

And they added the entire Volta deal:

The kit has been leaked from the beta also. The home kit is black with pink stars and the away kit is yellow with the Italian flag in the middle.

Oh man, I played the PES 2020 demo and it is grrrreat. Huge upgrade and I think the most fun I've had playing a sawkur game in a long fuckin' time. If you're a fan of the super high pace, ultra control to an unrealistic degree feel of FIFA you'll probably not dig it, but I LUUU THIS. Was just saying to a friend how I'm probably done with sports games for a bit here but I think I may pick this up on PC to get those sweet sweet mods for all the licences. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Magnificent 7

I made a mistake in being too hyped for college football and looked up what was the best ncaa football game from the ps2 generation and long story short I ebayed ncaa 06 and am just waiting for it to arrive. 

I will likely obsess over this game for a while like I did College Hoops 2K8 when I took Nicholls St. and Old Dominion to the promised land. 

If Maximum Football 19 gets solid reviews I may get that for the future, too. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

I feel like a bit of a doofus checking the mailbox and having my hopes deflate on the lack of a 13 year old sports being in there, but there you have it. 

I’ve been thinking who I will play with in dynasty and decided I am going to create a school in dynasty mode whenever it gets here as an added challenge.  I’ve been inspired by this youtuber’s dynasties...

I am going to resurrect the Xavier football program from the dead. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Magnificent 7

After an ebay snafu (i.e. jackass didn’t send me the game) I ordered it from Amazon brand spankin’ new. 

I created Xavier and put them in the Big East, replacing Rutgers. We play at Corcoran Field just like the old days. I started with a wack roster as I want some realism of building a football program from scratch. 

It became evident after game 1 that I should have started in 1-AA as we got housed by Ball St. to the tune of 51-7 despite dominating time of possession. We turned the ball over too much and let’s just say we have no one on the roster rated in the 80’s. It’s going to be a long season as A, our talent/size sucks and this game things like that matter and B I don’t know what the fuck I am doing yet.  

Game 2 we traveled to 25th ranked Georgia Tech and somehow made the Ball St. game seem competitive as we got ROLLED UP 78 - 0. We were down huge and stopped them to force a 4th down and 4 at midfield and those dudes went for it instead of punting it away.  I am going to remember that shit Georgia Tech.

I hope those recruits I targeted don’t have television sets as that was brutal. 

At this rate I will need to pay players to come here and pay some refs. We are ranked dead last in division 1-A. On the bright side we play Villanova at home next. Surely we can make a game of this.

Heisman Watch -

Nobody from Xavier 

To be continued...

Guest The Magnificent 7

We got our first win vs. Villanova 38 - 28. What a difference there is playing a 1-AA team (at least I think they are). We ran the ball well as my QB Meade had around 60 yards rushing and Patrick Griggs, my HB had around 140 yards and two scores. I ran a decent amount of triple option.

Defensively, my best player, I will call him Strong Safety as I don’t remember his name just now, had a pick six at a key moment.

There was a bit of a dicey moment when in the 2nd half up 31 - 14 I told my oldest son to play defense while I gassed up the mower which took all of two minutes and I came back inside and it was 31 - 21.  “What happened?” I say.  My youngest son answers for him that he got juked out for a deep touchdown.  Lesson learned I can’t trust these dudes to see out games in the future for me. 

I happened to check my targeted recruits and the 4 star defensive tackle literally said he didn’t like how my defense performed in the 78 - 0 Georgia Tech game.  Thanks, dawg.  I’ll try better next time.  You’ll like Cincinnati.  Trust me.

Up next we go on the road to play Notre Dame. 

Heisman Watch:

I am pretty sure it’s Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Adrian Peterson (they don’t have the real names for those famous guys just numbers) in the top 3. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Next 4 games:

Notre Dame 45 - 0 Xavier

Coach Mag 7 ‘s return to his home town didn’t go so well as little mercy was shown. 

Xavier 7 - 42 Pittsburgh

This was closer than the score indicated. Honest. 

West Virginia 37 - 17 Xavier

Game was over in 3 minutes as Meades threw a pick six and next possession we gave up a laughable punt return td.

Syracuse 35 - 15 Xavier

I simmed this because football should be played outdoors and not in places like the Carrier Dome.  

On the recruiting front we have 5 dudes making an official visit during the Navy game coming up after a trip to Connecticut.  If you win during recruit visits it increases your chances of commits so it will be all hands on deck for that game.  The 5 dudes are a guard, center, two defensive tackles, and a strong safety.

Our current talent size and speed wise is a joke compared to these other 1-A schools.  I get sacked before dudes get open and running the ball is not easy when dudes are throwing linemen away like nothing.  The O-line trench battle looks like 5 hobbits fighting orcs, but we ain’t got a magic ring.

Record 1-6 

Heisman Watch - the Iowa RB is tearing it up and the current favorite. I can’t remember who that was back then. 

Oklahoma is ranked 1st in the polls. USC 2nd. 

Edited by The Magnificent 7

On 9/13/2019 at 4:49 PM, The Magnificent 7 said:

Heisman Watch - the Iowa RB is tearing it up and the current favorite. I can’t remember who that was back then.

Not that it matters but assume that is Shonn Greene, that fat RB that ran for a billion yards back in the early 2000s for Iowa

A few weeks back I bought the EA 4-pack of last year's games when it was $30.  I hadn't gotten any non-UFC sports games since NHL 13 on PS3, and...man.  I've tried FIFA and NHL so far, and find them both utterly incomprehensible.  What I really want is games that play like PS2-era games but have PS4 graphics, I think...

Guest The Magnificent 7
17 hours ago, ctapley said:

Not that it matters but assume that is Shonn Greene, that fat RB that ran for a billion yards back in the early 2000s for Iowa

Yeah that’s him. Iowa is really good in this game. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

I finished up season one as we lost 4 in a row before our rivalry game with Cincinnati. We actually won that one 21 - 17 in a nailbiter. So we ended up 2-10 in Xavier’s return to football. 

Michigan won the national championship, defeating USC in a close Rose Bowl.

Reggie Bush won the Heisman beating out John Beck and I think that TE from BYU Harliman who was Beck’s main weapon. Can’t remember his exact name but it started with an H.

Offseason recruiting went ok as we focused on defense and offensive line. We got a 3 star center that allows us to move the current center to Guard. We also have 2 freshmen 4 star Defensive Tackle’s that make a big difference up front with pressure. A 3 star middle linebacker with good size and speed and a 2 star CB will all be starters as freshmen. 

Meade unfortunately graduated so our junior QB is not as mobile but isn’t awful throwing. Still, I will be recruiting skill positions and especially a qb in year 2.

We are 2 -1 so far beating UAB 34 -31 in a 2 OT thriller. Good win for the program. We then lost 45 - 24 to North Carolina on the riad, but returned home to beat Central Michigan 12 - 7. We will still struggle against Major conference teams again, but we are clearly improving and have already matched our win total from the inaugural season. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Xavier lost a heartbreaker on the road in Pittsburgh 26 - 21. Entirely my fault as I missed two field goals in 25 mph wind which would have made the difference. 

A few losses were strung together against the likes of Notre Dame, West Virginia, and Syracuse. Someone else, too.

The Musketeers managed to beat UConn and we just beat Louisville 38-35 with a last second field goal. Briggs rushed for 3 scores and my best offensive player, WR Mike Morton, caught some huge passes for over 150 yards. 

So we’re sitting at 4-6 with Cincinnati and Idaho left to play. 

Funnily enough Pittsburgh is the last of the unbeatens as they are 9-0 and ranked 9th in the country. Those field goal misses irk me whenever I check the rankings. 

Oklahoma just moved up to #1 after beating previously unbeaten Texas Tech and Miami is # 2. Michigan just lost a stunner to Indiana and tumbled down the rankings. 

In-season recruiting I secured a commitment from a 4 star Strong Safety and have a 4 star QB Charlie Jackson frim Decatur, IN and a 4 star RB Kyle Robinson from Ohio visiting campus for the Idaho game who I hope to get commits from. David Ealey, a 4 star CB who had given me a soft verbal after a visit and who Xavier was at the top of his list forever just flipped and committed to Michigan so I lost out on him. My CB’s suck so that is a blow. 

FIFA 20 dropped yesterday. I pre-ordered, so I got it on Tuesday. So far, it's much better than FIFA 19. The pacing the game is much better, the ridiculous shots from last year have been fixed and the headers from last year have also been fixed. Now the only thing they need to do is improve pack weight and not start ruining this game with patches and we are good.

Edit: As I posted this, #FixCareerMode began trending on Twitter. Apparently Career Mode is problematic. For what it's worth, my post was mostly about overall game play and the smoothness of FUT which are much better this year than the previous which was not that good overall.

Edited by Edwin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Magnificent 7

Xavier dynasty gameplay is outpacing my write ups now. NCCA 06 is an incredible playing game of football and puts modern sports games to shame. Highly recommended football hame. 

• 1 month later...

I have a video game blog site (an8bitmind.com), and I'm getting back into writing. Here's a quick hit on a game that was recently sent to me:

Gary Gorski, over at Wolverine Studios was nice enough to send me a review copy of their recent Draft Day Sports: Pro Football 2020. I’ll be posting a full review in a couple days , but right now, here’s some quick hits:

I love the 2D Field concept: It’s easy to see when your player misses in coverage, or your Running Back manages to squeeze through the whole and breaks free for a big game.

There are some ways it could be improved (such as having the name of skill players above their representation on the field, or at least their number instead of just their position).

Some text commentary would go a LONG way towards helping you understand the action on the field (short passes, it’s hard to know if it’s complete and instantly tackled, incomplete, etcetera).

One thing I really like about the setup is that there’s a good amount of immersion (for example, there’s a panel of “experts” who will single out one game and give their predictions on it, something you’d see like on a pregame show. Heck, I’d love a pregame graphic with the helmets popping up like they do on the pregame shows in real life.

More to come as I put it through its paces. There are some things I’m not sure about, but I’m going to check them out thoroughly before I report on them.

• 2 months later...
Guest The Magnificent 7

I am playing a ton of Dirt Rally 2.0 and thought I’d share some driving. Taken from the PS4. Feel free to give my channel a sub. 

Game is very difficult as one mistake can cost you a good time or stage or even an entire rally. 

Edited by The Magnificent 7

Guest The Magnificent 7

Here are a couple of mistakes pushing too hard on some stages. 

I coped with the roll pretty good in the Subaru and didn’t lose a ton of time. The force feedback on shunts and wrecks is pretty good so you get rattled when making a mistake. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Spain in the wet with the Subaru Impreza. You can also see Cyberpunk 2077 won’t be  Keanu Reeves first stint in video games as he’s clearly driving my car.