DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

Am I the only one who picked up MLB The Show 17 yesterday? As someone who has never put enough time into this series to get good at its mechanics, I really enjoyed the one game I played last night. I'm waiting to do anything lengthy until some fleshed out rosters appear via share.

Last year was the first time I didn't buy The Show since it was on the PS3. Lack of money and time were factors there. The prior year I put a ton of time into Diamond Dynasty and actually put together a decent team. I also played through something like 3 seasons, quitting when I won the World Series. Now though, I don't know if I'd be able to put in the same amount of time. Too much Dota will do that. Plus, if Fire Pro comes out soon on Steam, that's another thing that will take time away from The Show.

I want to get it, but it may be a thing where I wait for an OS roster and by that time, the game should be on sale.

...just purchased "The Show 17" yesterday and I'll be uploading my Create-A-Player into this years game via the Year to Year Saves(this is first time Ive used this Awesome option...in other words you could quite literally play the ENTIRE CAREER of your Created Player).  So Im sure Ill be spending alot of time on this game...word is from developers they've added thousands of new animations from fielding to batting and everything in between.    Let's PLAY BALL!

2 hours ago, damnnearfonzie said:

...just purchased "The Show 17" yesterday and I'll be uploading my Create-A-Player into this years game via the Year to Year Saves(this is first time Ive used this Awesome option...in other words you could quite literally play the ENTIRE CAREER of your Created Player).  So Im sure Ill be spending alot of time on this game...word is from developers they've added thousands of new animations from fielding to batting and everything in between.    Let's PLAY BALL!

How 2k and EA haven't figured out how to do that with there games is beyond me. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Who plays NBA 2K17? I have a locker code from Twitch Prime and since I don't have the game figured one of the DVDVR brethren should have it. 

EDIT: Here's the code if anyone wants it 1X5N6-RYXD1-AFLMN-0AUUS-8JCPQ

It states - 

1. After you create your MyPLAYER account in NBA 2K17, select "Options/Features" from the main menu
2. Select "Locker Codes"
3. Enter the Locker Code you received

*Note: This promotion is not available on Xbox 360 or Playstation 3

• 4 months later...
25 minutes ago, Meltzing Pot said:

Silly question, but how is NBA 2K this year compared to last? The last one I bought I was maybe 2K16, and I loved it. Other than updated rosters, is there anything different or notable?

I haven't played it, but I believe the biggest changes was the MyPlayer stuff with the incorporation of MyNeighborhood. Although, it sounds like the VC/Microtransactions stuff is as wonky as ever. Also, I've heard people say that the basketball is even more fine-tuned, which is odd for a series that is already very simulation style in play.

With EccentricMeat's sliders, 2K18 is the best basketball game I've played hands down. So fucking great. This year's game is all about smoothness. Controlling players feels so much smoother than in years past, as they're responsive but they have a weight to them too. With top end ball handlers, you can really blow by shitty defenders but with the better AI off the ball defending, particularly rotations, it's not automatic. I abused IT with Kyrie and built up a huge double digit lead when LeBron was on the bench. Then they made a huge comeback push in the last 7 minutes and beat me by 5. Didn't feel cheap. I relied too much on Kyrie and my other guys went cold when they started to bring the double. 

If you do MyPlayer, like Chaos said, they've completely fucked us with microtransactions. I sometimes dabble with MyPlayer but I'm out when they make you grind like a lunatic or fork over a bunch of cash. Pay to play. 

2K18 smokes last year in every way tbh.  Probably the best in the series since 2K12. Like Oyaji said, everything feels natural. Your defense can actually fucking defend, whether it be solo or with team defense.  Also, the AI doesn't play like prime Gary Payton on defense if it's a shitty defender. I noticed that Tony Allen was locking my ass down, but I'm lighting dudes like Ray Felton up, like it should be.  They also fixed the bullshit shot stick from last year, back to the traditional way.

• 1 month later...

This could go in either the deals or sports game thread but there's a Humble Bundle up now with Out of the Park Baseball '18 in the $1 tier. I haven't played any of them except '14 but I can't possibly imagine this is anything other than a steal.

I hope the game still has that cool mode where you can play through different eras of baseball but you can shuffle the date of birth of every player ever so you end up with weird shit like Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa playing in the dead ball era and Old Hoss Radbourn pitching for the Toronto Blue Jays.

On 9/29/2017 at 8:24 PM, RandomAct said:

2K18 smokes last year in every way tbh.  Probably the best in the series since 2K12. Like Oyaji said, everything feels natural. Your defense can actually fucking defend, whether it be solo or with team defense.  Also, the AI doesn't play like prime Gary Payton on defense if it's a shitty defender. I noticed that Tony Allen was locking my ass down, but I'm lighting dudes like Ray Felton up, like it should be.  They also fixed the bullshit shot stick from last year, back to the traditional way.

What did they change with the shot stick? Do you not get a bonus for using the stick instead of shoot button? I've got some money allocated to get this game if it pops up as a Black Friday item.

5 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

What did they change with the shot stick? Do you not get a bonus for using the stick instead of shoot button? I've got some money allocated to get this game if it pops up as a Black Friday item.

Meaning that in 2K17, you had to hold the stick in the direction of the basket, instead of merely up or down like it always has been. Everyone hated it. It's back to the old way now,.

• 1 month later...

I got OOTP18 in the sale but only played a few exhibition games so far. Is it possible to start anywhere in time relevant to the database, say the Babe Ruth era Yankees and are the players of the time free agents/available for trade. Also does it take into account real trades, retirements etc as you go through the years?. 

The reserve clause was a thing until '75, so there wouldn't be free agents. But yeah, you can do historical saves, you can do random draft dates so Bonds could start his career in '49 or something to that effect, there are a number of ways to set-up the game. 

• 1 month later...

For any fans of MMA or TEW, the trial of Adam Ryland's new version of World of Mixed Martial Arts is out today. It's an MMA matchmaking game that has a surprisingly fun default database and will shortly have some great real world and historical mods. It allows you to play up to three months with the full game out next Monday. Sounds like a lot of the features are streamlined to allow the user to focus on doing the fun stuff (signing, matchmaking, seeing fights unfold) and less of the tedious shit (clicking "accept" for 50+ fighters when setting up new weight divisions and going on mass signing sprees).

• 1 month later...

Does anyone here have any experience with the Switch version of FIFA 18?  It seems like it's got some stripped down features, but all I'm really looking for is to play Fanchise Mode (to borrow the Madden term) on something portable while my ankle heals.

1 hour ago, GojiColin said:

Does anyone here have any experience with the Switch version of FIFA 18?  It seems like it's got some stripped down features, but all I'm really looking for is to play Fanchise Mode (to borrow the Madden term) on something portable while my ankle heals.

I play with it all the time.  I don't care much about stripped-down features, as long as franchise and tournament modes are there I'm good.  I highly recommend it, especially if you're taking it with you.

On 3/2/2018 at 10:35 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

I play with it all the time.  I don't care much about stripped-down features, as long as franchise and tournament modes are there I'm good.  I highly recommend it, especially if you're taking it with you.

So I picked it up and am having a blast with it., thanks for the info!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm really loving playing the World Cup on FIFA 18.  I haven't dipped too much in Ultimate Teams as I honestly don't know most of the players.  But it's all a pretty fun way to kill time when the games aren't on.  Slightly related but Switch version of FIFA 19 looks really promising.  It appears to have a graphical upgrade and will hopefully put it more in line with the other console versions.

Speaking of which, how's the game treating you @GojiColin?  Anybody else on here get it on Switch?