DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

What they showed for MLB 14 looks pretty sweet! Mostly just PS4 textures and dudes with hair that actually moves. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXmzSQExOZ8

And there's this:

♦We know how much time and effort our fans put into their Seasons, Franchises, and Road To The Show players. So beginning with MLB 14 The Show, you can now carry over your saves to future versions of MLB The Show. MLB 14 The Show lays the foundation for year-to-year saves, meaning you never have to worry about starting your Franchise or Road to the Show seasons over!

♦Thanks to the power of PS4, MLB 14 The Show is going to be the most beautiful baseball product we’ve ever created.

♦For some of you, full 9-inning baseball games may be too long for your liking, so we’ve created an all-new Quick Counts option, which utilizes generated pitch counts allowing gamers to play through full games faster than ever. Realistic statistics in this shortened gameplay experience have not been compromised. Users will now be able to play a full 9 inning game in less than 30 minutes, essentially cutting traditional game times in half.

♦We think Road To The Show is the deepest, most realistic single-player experience in sports video games, and we’re making it even better. A few of the new features include a new advancement system, new intuitive player creation process, and all new pre-draft prospect showcase.

♦And finally, what makes baseball great are those “big moments.” The power of PS4 will allow gamers to share those moments using the new “share feature” by capturing and publishing their most thrilling baseball moments, from hitting a game-winning grand slam, to picking off a runner at first for a crucial win in a World Series game.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was R-Truth without the braids.

I don't know why, but I kinda feel sorry for whoever developed this game.  I don't know if they half assed it, or legit tried to make a good game, but completely failed.  They had so long to work on this, but everything I've seen of it has looked awful.

NBA 2K14, in my first play through, is one of the best basketball games I've ever played. The players have a real weight to them and you really have to be aware of every little movement because of it. Deron Williams just shredded me up because I was playing like it was still 2K13, handchecking him too frequently. But if you get close and ride a player, pick just the right time to go for the steal, you can pull it off. The animations on dunks and player contact is just amazing. And the sound of the rim on dunks is so crunchy, just perfect!

Only thing I dislike is the removal of 2Kshare (you can download rosters but only from the quickstart screen - but no sliders) in the next gen version and, I believe, having to fucking upload a roster every time you edit it. Am I reading this correctly? You have to upload the roster to save it? I hope I'm missing something because that's lame.

And where do I download draft classes from? Figured it out.

Let me axe you guys this...when you play franchise mode on madden/ncaa, how much work do you to to your programs to reflect your personal philosophy on sports? IE, I believe in running the ball and playing good defense, so a lot of the times a recruit/draft/sign free agents that enable my team to do that. Am I the only one? Also, when you guys call plays, are you just trying to score as quick and as much as possible, or do you call plays like you would if you were a real coach? 

Just curious to see if I'm the most obsessive person on here...

I am the same way in my sport franchises. i never run the same play over and over again. Hell, the most times i've called the smae play in a game is maybe 3 or so though on D I use the same basic plays but mix it up a bit as well. I try to be more balanced though i lean towards running the ball and on short passes and on controlling the run as well. 

On both offense and defense I tend to stick to my preferred formations (Shotgun and Nickle), call a play as quick as possible and then audible into whatever the situation calls for.  I probably run the play I originally called ten percent of the time and alter the routes/defensive package about two-thirds of the time.  I enjoy the challenge of trying to read the computer and see if I can counter it accordingly.

I try to build my teams in certain ways, more so on the defense side of things but I make some considerations on offense too. On D, I focus on the d-line try to get a group that can rush the passer (I usually control one of the ends) and be tough against the run, and a secondary that is good at man to man and press coverage. I don't put as much of an emphasis on linebackers but if I have a good one I will try to keep him around (as a Pats fan and user I like to have Mayo in my LB corp). On offense I try build my team a lot like the actual Pats I guess, I don't focus on superstar players at most positions, I put together a team of solid receiving options and a nice combination of rbs. Outside of QB and Gronk my highest paid offense players will usually be an o-lineman.

As far as in game, I try to mix things up but I run a lot of no-huddle so I only have so many audibles that I can change into, but I make use of hot routes a lot to keep things changed up. On defense I probably call a 70/30 mix of man and zone coverages and if my team is working like I like it I rarely send more than 5 on the rush and tend to keep to the down lineman for rushing the passer.

NBA 2K14, in my first play through, is one of the best basketball games I've ever played. The players have a real weight to them and you really have to be aware of every little movement because of it. Deron Williams just shredded me up because I was playing like it was still 2K13, handchecking him too frequently. But if you get close and ride a player, pick just the right time to go for the steal, you can pull it off. The animations on dunks and player contact is just amazing. And the sound of the rim on dunks is so crunchy, just perfect!

Only thing I dislike is the removal of 2Kshare (you can download rosters but only from the quickstart screen - but no sliders) in the next gen version and, I believe, having to fucking upload a roster every time you edit it. Am I reading this correctly? You have to upload the roster to save it? I hope I'm missing something because that's lame.

And where do I download draft classes from? Figured it out.

From everything I've seen, the next gen game has all of the same problems that people have with the current gen.  I'm hoping things get straightened out next year, because I'll be honest, I've found 2K14 to be dreadful. 

Just got Madden 25 for the 360 for the birthday and was wondering if anyone here has a preferred set of sliders?  I know I found an awesome one of OperationSports last year but holy fuck are there a ton of them on there for this version.

• 3 weeks later...

I received NHL 14 from Gamefly because I have not played a hockey game in years. Boy, these games are drastically different than I remember and pretty detailed. I was not able to win many face offs, and I can't figure out making a play for the puck without just decimating a guy with a body check (granted that's pretty fun). Long story, short, I turned it off after going down 7-2 in the third period.

This feels like it has a stiff learning curve and might take time to get the mechanics down.

Just got Madden 25 for the 360 for the birthday and was wondering if anyone here has a preferred set of sliders?  I know I found an awesome one of OperationSports last year but holy fuck are there a ton of them on there for this version.

I would be interested in this as well. My biggest issue is that I read all of this stuff about how there are no more psychic DBs, and yet, I'm averaging about 4 INTs a game. Even worse is that if I'm throwing that many INTs a game, I shouldn't be winning as much as I am.

I would be interested in this as well. My biggest issue is that I read all of this stuff about how there are no more psychic DBs, and yet, I'm averaging about 4 INTs a game. Even worse is that if I'm throwing that many INTs a game, I shouldn't be winning as much as I am.

I settled on using sliders from Jarrod21 over at OperationSports that seems pretty good so far.  

I'm still getting my ass kicked because I'm jumping right into All-Madden difficulty this year, but it feels fair.  I still throw a ton of picks, but when I look at the replay they all seem fair and because of my own mistakes rather than cheap CB play.

I am astonishingly incompetent at NHL14.  I've tried full bore dual stick mode and "hybrid" mode both (not that interested in pure 94 mode) and I just cannot manage anything.  Initially, I blamed my insistence on playing as Dallas, but nope.  Even playing as good teams doesn't help.