DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

I got a steam gift card for my b-day a while back and picked it up despite saying I wouldn't (yet again). Pretty minor upgrades though there's more overall polish. If you're having fun with an FM 15 save, I say wait until it comes on sale in a few months.

There's a guy who is making a Canadian league mod, and is including provinicial leagues, including the league I play in here in Manitoba. If he mods enough divisions so that I can manage my own real life team, I'm going to have to buy the game.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone else here plays on SoccerManager dot com, I have a new custom league. Put together a couple of divisions with teams that have particularly odd, outstanding or silly sounding names. Lots of starting cash, rich economy, plenty of chance to do whatever you want with basically a blank slate if you get in from the start. I've called dibs on Royal White Star Bruxelles.

ID: 243032

I'm having a blast on my current TEW playthrough, playing as the NWA circa 1988 just before Windham joined the Horsemen. I'm basically playing an alternate history were Windham stayed face, and Shawn Michaels joined the NWA and joined the Horsemen instead, which is ultimately leading to a War Games match with Jerry Lawler, Lex Luger, Barry Windham, & Sting vs. The Horsemen. It's been a blast so far.

Between that, Curt Hennig showing up and feuding with Dusty over the United States title, Vader destroying in the midcard, the Rise of Muta, and Dusty having a blood feud with Murdoch, this has been a blast of a run so far.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Did last year's come out for PS3? If so, it was pretty fun though the run game doesn't really work from my experiences. Sounds like they've struck the proper balance for the first time in ages (2005?) with 17.

The Show 16 is such a great fucking game of baseball. Each year, they keep getting better bit by bit. 

Got Madden 25 the other day, just cause it was cheap and it's a little more recent than 11.  And two things I really do not like about this:  The fucking RPG mechanics bleeding into everything.  Scouting, upgrading players, etc.  It ridiculously complicates everything.  I preferred the whole "players progress at the end of the year" thing rather than having to upgrade them little by little throughout the year.  The second thing is the gameplay seems a lot faster, ie. everything on field just seems at warp speed compared to 11.

Tried out NBA 2k13.  And man, they really complicated the control scheme, didn't they?  I do the tutorials, then a few minutes after that, I forget all of what I learned and I'm clueless.  I fucking blow on defense.  I have no idea what I'm doing at all.  I suck at offense as well, because of all the different control combinations that make no sense whatsoever.  And apparently you need to pull down the R2 trigger to do the shoot stick now?  Or L2.  Whichever.  God damnit.  I used to, at least to my memory, do well doing the pick and roll on 2k11, but what the fuck?  I have no idea how this shit works.  Then there's the whole thing with the game fucking freezing my console every few games, if not once right after the other.

So I got the bug for basketball, tried going back to 2k11 as I remember playing well on that.. thanks to someone on here who gave me some tips on the game.  And I find out that I can't play for shit.  I really am horrible at defense on this game and the pick and roll thing doesn't work like I remember it.  And the MyPlayer for this game fucking sucks.  I'm not even kidding.  I could maybe get a B+ on 2k13 at best, but on here I could barely scratch a C rating.  I thought the pick and roll on this game worked like.. you get the guy blocking your defender, you run off, pass the ball back to the guy in open lanes, and then he'll take the easy dunk/shot whatever.  Did NOT happen not even once during the myplayer rookie games.  Nor on the games I played on after getting drafted.

• 2 weeks later...

The Show 12 RTTS is beginning to piss me off quite a bit.  First is the whole achievement goals that they give me.  If I fail two, then I'm either on notice or bumped back down to AA (which happened once already cause I couldn't get the BBs I needed and they altered my "get less than x strikeouts" thing to below what I'd already had because of an injury).  Second is doing pretty fucking great in AA (had above .300 average, would occasionally get home runs and my RBIs were a healthy number) then shitting the fucking bed in AAA completely.  I'm getting struck out more, I can't hit the goals they give me (hit 'x' home runs, get 'x' base on balls, get less than 'x' strikeouts).  How the fuck am I supposed to get base on balls in this game when I can't tell what pitches I'm going to get?  By the time the ball has got to the catcher, I'm already swinging it way late or whatever.  The pitches go down way too fast.  God help me if the pitcher lobs a fastball down the middle.  Even if I'm prepared for it, I'm ALWAYS fucking late on the swing.  I'm thinking it's partly me just not being good at this game and partly the shit camera angles they give you to choose from.

I'd like to enjoy it, but it's just giving me so many reasons not to.  Why couldn't they just keep me down in AA for the entirety of the season instead of calling me up so that I can build up my stats a bit for help?

Note:  I use pure analog hitting, if that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll offer more thoughts when I can put some time into it this weekend, but I picked up FIFA 17 yesterday and played it for about an hour.  I know tuning updates will fix some of this, but a lot of the gameplay critiques I've seen going around are pretty spot-on. Passing is more erratic than usual, which has always been an issue for me on PS4 as far as getting the ball to go where I wanted it to. Horizontally, the pitch just feels narrower to me, which makes me feel out of sorts, but it could be some of the graphical stuff tied to the new Frostbite engine. They adjusted a lot of the set piece mechanics, which I'm not a fan of at least early due to FIFA having the same mechanics for those situations for at least the last 10 years it seems. 

I also played the intro portion of The Journey. I'll probably play the whole thing, but I'm just not a fan of this type of stuff in sports games. Also, the acting and the performances in this are bad even by video game standards. It's very movie of the week, faux-inspirational type stuff. 

PES 2017 is the shit. Only minor complaints are passes are too accurate, we don't have sliders to fix them and while there's a noticeable uptick in fouls, too much goonery goes uncalled still. Just a greatly paced game where players and teams feel instantly unique and the matches are incredibly varied. Sometimes it's impossible to generate chances, others you'll have 20 shots. A run of games in master league showed that nicely. 3-1, 4-3, 0-0, 1-0. Great stuff. About the only thing going for FIFA these days is presentation and league licencing. I was not impressed with the demo.

I haven't gotten into it much but NBA 2K17 feels amazing other than the fact I suck on offense now. And I'm trying to learn to shoot with just the sticks. Hard times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...