DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

Coming back to this, because as it turns out the Hybrid controls just suck zombie ape.  I still don't feel like I can say I "have the hang of" NHL 14, but after taking 30 minutes to do the tutorials on the twin-stick control mode, the difference between that and the Hybrid mode is night and day.

Since SackAttack (if you guys play ME3 on 360, you've probably played with him) has a bunch of time off over the upcoming weeks, we decided to do a two player netgame.

Thoughts about a half hour in (we're playing my American Premier League mod, to use USA teams with out MLS's many and varied WTF rules)

A) Sooooooo much easier to do this in FM14 instead of 13. Doing it through steam means we don't have to do VPN/Port Shenanigans to play

B ) I made an inquiry into one of his players. SA wanted $200 Million for him... then he inquired about one of my players.

C) Sack doesn't take no guff, one of his players had a transfer offer rejected, the agent wanted a new contract, and then wanted double the amount he wanted to pay.. when the player came whining to him about it, not only did Sack tell him to ahem, "Sack up", he also convinced the player to fire his agent.

• 4 weeks later...

More things from FM14:

Man, Benfica fans are HARDCORE.. one of our second team players announced in the January transfer window that he'd be leaving on a free transfer in July to Porto (one of Benfica's fierce rivals). Today (Mar 4 in game), I got this notification:

"Head Physio Joao Resende has expressed his annoyance that central defender Rui Feteiro arrived at the club today having suffered a broken collarbone which he claims was caused by a fall at home"

Now, am I reading between the lines here, or is it possible our fans.... tried to convince him of the error of his ways? He'll miss about two months, or a good part of the rest of the season.,

So 2k announced they are shafting their Baseball franchise. Last time I checked the guys over at the show haven't announced that the 2014 game will be cross platform. 

So does that mean no Baseball game for the Xbox One this year?

MLBAM is releasing RBI Baseball for all platforms, but it'll probably be a nice nostalgia trip for a couple weeks and that's about it.

• 2 months later...

I'm contemplating going for the PS+ timed trial to see, but it's a friggin bear of a download. I imagine it just has the National Teams and stadiums and none of the club level stuff. Smaller player database too. Course, its at a $60 price point, so fuck that.

Anyone play The Show yet? I'm gonna pick it up, but I'm hoping for a flash sale/PS+ discount combo since its a Sony game.

• 3 weeks later...

I am caving and picking up The Show today on PS4. It'll be the first baseball game I've owned since MVP 2005 (Still the best baseball game ever released IMO). 

It'll be the first time I've played a game in The Show series since maybe 07 on the PS2.

Hah, I preordered the Show from the PS store and they're having "technical difficulties" and the download isn't up as of now.

I just cannot see buying sports games digitally until I'm basically forced to do so because physical mediums no longer exist.

I don't keep Sports games for longer than a year,and it's usually trade bait for another sports game or the next installment.

Yeah, I made the mistake of buying NHL 14 digitally - for full price.  Money well spent, Tabe.  Good game and all but I've gotten like $1.50 worth of use out of it.

Man, the game took like an additional 4 hours to install. You could access the menus but only play an exhibition game with a few teams after an hour. Not thrilled so far. 

Man, the game took like an additional 4 hours to install. You could access the menus but only play an exhibition game with a few teams after an hour. Not thrilled so far. 

The load times were abysmal. Apparently, it doesn't improve after the install's complete.

I don't understand the game having to download each team and each stadium individually.

The load times were abysmal. Apparently, it doesn't improve after the install's complete.

I don't understand the game having to download each team and each stadium individually.

In their review, IGN killed the game for its load times.

Yeah, the graphics aren't a huge improvement outside of stadiums. Pretty disappointing experience so far. I did have a fun game between the Braves and Nats that went to extra innings ending with a walk off HR from my last pinch hitter. It still doesn't feel like a new experience though.

Speaking of which, EA released a teaser trailer and info for NHL 15:

And the info:

http://tinyurl.com/n6w4shk

They hired some physics guru to do the physics for the new NHL.  Supposedly they've got pucks getting stuck in gloves and so on.

None of which will matter if your defensemen still play like morons.