DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

On 8/19/2022 at 5:00 PM, supremebve said:

I'm going to go ahead and guess that Madden is trash,  because it was released today and I haven't seen a single review. You don't put that kind of review embargo on a good game. I guess I'll be skipping this year's game too. 

The reviews have been coming in for a week now and... yes Madden is trash

I know it's G4 but this video was good in covering the past 10 or so Maddens.

I used to get Madden for 360 but stopped on the last one there before it went next gen.  I would try it occasionally if a demo was at a store but just wasn't feeling it.  Gamepass was great in allowing me to play 21 and 22 but it really felt like the same game to me.  Maybe if I have time I'll try the 10 hour preview but the interest just isn't there right now.

On 8/25/2022 at 10:39 AM, Chaos said:

Tiger signed a deal with 2k/TakeTwo so PGA 2k23 is going to be Tiger focused.

PGA TOUR 2K23 brings “More Golf. More Game.” with the iconic Tiger Woods

Not sure if it was common knowledge but Shooter McGavin is going to be in this game.  Chubbs maybe in as well. Some of the game developers posted pictures of Tiger with Shooter hinting at this earier in the week. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pedro said:

Not sure if it was common knowledge but Shooter McGavin is going to be in this game.  Chubbs maybe in as well. Some of the game developers posted pictures of Tiger with Shooter hinting at this earier in the week. 

I have, perhaps wrongly, assumed that everyone featured in one of the commercials would be available at some point. 

Hence my earlier Miz comment. 

• 2 months later...
45 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

EA announced that the new College Football game will come out Summer 2024

Per reports - it will be a brand new game and not a reskin of Madden

I saw the story break on Twitter last night along with mine and many other hearts breaking.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I'm wondering if anyone remembers an old windows game that EA made that was a stats based football management sim?  It was nothing but text and spreadsheets but man I remember loving just blazing through seasons in a day in the quest for greatness.

Do they still make games like that?  Like I know there's a baseball game but I'm more of a Football/US Football/Basketball guy.

7 hours ago, GojiColin said:

Hey I'm wondering if anyone remembers an old windows game that EA made that was a stats based football management sim?  It was nothing but text and spreadsheets but man I remember loving just blazing through seasons in a day in the quest for greatness.

Do they still make games like that?  Like I know there's a baseball game but I'm more of a Football/US Football/Basketball guy.

You probably mean the Front Office Football series .

https://store.steampowered.com/app/547900/Front_Office_Football_Eight/

Also look at the Draft Day Sports Pro/College Basketball/Football series of games, or Pro Strategy Football for a less involved game. (all on steam)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Got an email today confirmed what I was hoping

MLB The Show 23 will be available day one for folks with Game Pass Ultimate (Game Pass is how I played last year)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did some of the free trial for EA Sports PGA Tour 2023 over the weekend. It definitely is going to take some grind and time to figure out as I don't love the swing mechanic/meter and getting accuracy has been a challenge. Also, the menus are kind of clunky, and the camera loses the ball and gets choppy in framerate.

Having more licenses content is great, but overall, I still prefer PGA 2k23 right now.

Also, when I have time, I'm really enjoying MLB The Show 23 right now. 

On 3/28/2023 at 10:13 AM, RIPPA said:

Got an email today confirmed what I was hoping

MLB The Show 23 will be available day one for folks with Game Pass Ultimate (Game Pass is how I played last year)

I'll go to my grave (hopefully not soon) saying that gamepass is the best thing to happen for gamers in a long time. Ten years ago Blockbuster was like 7 dollars a weekend to rent a game, then we had no national/regular way really to rent at all except gamefly ($16 a month, one game at a time), now basically gamepass is the ultimate unlimited rental service for hundreds of games for a flat $10 to $15 a month. Its my favorite thing.

I think its so good that its only a matter of time that something happens to make it less good, as we never get nice things for long.

• Like 1

Just had the weirdest game of Out of the Park 24:

A bit of a background to this, I'm doing a "Random debut" historical sim. The game adds a few players as international complex/foreign free agents.

Nastore Sacratini is a game-generated international find. He's.. not great. He's the #81 prospect in the game, but only 2*/2.5* ability/pot. That says a lot about the opponent's pitching staff

it's opening day 1948, and Sacratini is the opponent's starter and could not find the strike zone consistently.

He walked the first FOUR batters he faced (first time I've ever seen that happen), walks a fifth later that inning. We end up scoring 4 runs on 1 hit (Walked in, Fielders Choice, and a 2 run signal). He wasn't walking folks on 4 pitches either, he got to 3-2 four times that inning.

They get one back, but they sent him back out after a 45 pitch first inning, and we started the whole thing all over again, walking the bases loaded the first three batters he faced... (I imagine the manager was probably having a stroke due to high blood pressure due to stress, which is the only reason he wasn't pulled.)

He managed to get out of that jam without a run, somehow, and makes it to the fourth, where what tenuous shreds of control he had started to leave. He walks three more that inning (we score twice making it 6-3).

He manages to get one out in the fifth (The fact that he was sent out to pitch the fifth should be investigated as a Geneva Convention violation), before his manager comes and mercifully (?) ends his day.

His final line? 4.1 Innings, 3 H, 6 Runs (All Earned), 2K, 12 walks... 134 pitches!

Now, the second half of the game, was my fault. I let my starter go too long myself. Basically, whenever I would get a man up in the bullpen he would get out of trouble, and because I don't want pitchers using up "ready" status while I'm at bat, I would sit the reliever down, and forget to put him back to warming up with 1 or 2 out, so I'd have to start from cold again, rinse and repeat.

So, I finally put in 37 year old Christy Mathewson in up 9-5 in the ninth. He's the last bullpen arm, and I just wanted to get the opening day win, so I just threw him in there. He got two quick outs, but a double, an error and a single led to the bases loaded. I was going to put another reliever in, but what are the odds that one batter will hit a grand slam?

Don't tell me the odds.

So it's 9-9, but thankfully we walk it off in the bottom of the ninth.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I had my best season ever in Road to the Show in this year's MLB the Show. First, I got drafted by the Cubs to even begin my career, which I don't think has ever happened before where I got to play for my favorite team. Started out hot in my second season with my LF. Just cranking homer after homer and hitting close to .500. This was near the top end of All Star difficulty and I didn't play close to this good in the previous season. Got called up and started out really rough. Everyone in the majors has such high velo and it took some getting adjusted to.

Then I went on a tear in June, just destroying the ball. I can't remember which month, but I hit for the cycle for the first time ever and that lead to a rare "fuck yeah" from me while playing a game. Basically, I already hit a triple, a double, and a single. I struck out in my next at bat. My final at bat I got a challenge to advance a runner, only swing at pitches in the zone, or hit a home run. I figured, fuck it, if I'm aiming to hit a dong to complete the cycle then I'm selecting that challenge. Then I cranked one and did it. Weirdly enough, there's no accomplishment for hitting for the cycle. I figured there would be one in there for that.

I was selected to play in the Home Run Derby and won that. It came down to me vs Mike Trout and I wound up winning by 3 or 4 homers.

After that I just kept playing really well. I finished the season with 49 homers and 8.8 WAR. Won Rookie of the Year, MVP, Silver Slugger, and a Gold Glove. The Cubs made the post season with 100 wins and wound up winning the World Series in 7 games against the Rays. I played OK in the postseason. In the final stretches of the season and in the postseason you can really tell that you just have no energy left to keep hitting homers. I hit 2 dongs in the NLDS and then nothing in the NLCS or WS. I was basically reduced to hitting a bunch of singles and the occasional double. The exit velo on the ball coming off of my bat dipped too. Normally it would be over 100 mph and it had dipped down to the 80s and 90s for much of the postseason. So that's a neat feature where you just can't sustain high performance that deep into the season.

Can't wait to play my third season where I'll start out playing like shit and then get dropped down to AA despite just playing a historic season.

Oh, and I K'd over 150 times. Oops.

• Like 3

One thing they did change from previous years is it defaults you to getting drafted by your favorite team instead of having to specifically ask your coach during the pre-draft cutscene.  They still make it hard to change positions or play utility.

I do like that they nerfed using Yordy Alverez's stance so it wasn't a cheat code like last year. 

On 5/17/2023 at 8:01 AM, RIPPA said:

All FBS players can opt in to have their likeness used and they will be compensated if they do so

The only reason FIFA has probably taken the #1 slot in hours played for me is because these quit getting made. I still from time to time dust off my 360 and play NCAA 14. I'm sure the first one will be a mess, but it's my most anticipated game in a very long time. It will be the reason I burn some PTO next year. 

I always loved NCAA more than Madden. The recruiting stuff, creating talent pipelines, and the gameplay all felt better.

Now I worry because everything I've read about Madden in the last few years hasn't been great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I always loved NCAA more than Madden. The recruiting stuff, creating talent pipelines, and the gameplay all felt better.

Now I worry because everything I've read about Madden in the last few years hasn't been great.

NCAA historically used the prior year's Madden engine to build, but it also had the chaos of being able to pull off more gimmicks in college. Running various versions of the option was fun. I also just enjoyed playing Dynasty mode. My last NCAA playthrough was creating a coordinator for a smaller school and working my way up the ranks. I forget what school I ended with. My 360 is in storage or I'd probably have played more by now.

I'm just a little worried that NIL will eliminate some of the fun of getting accurate updated rosters through the community. I honestly wish I had something that could run one of those NCAA mods right now that put it under a modern context to include the playoff and updated conference alignments.