DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

On 10/19/2021 at 4:25 PM, Raziel said:

To be honest, The Show has been slowly trending toward what makes EA money the past couple iterations...

Not even close.

One currency, compared to Madden's five or six currencies, and everything earnable by playing only. Not to mention EA thinking NFT's are a great old thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Not even close.

One currency, compared to Madden's five or six currencies, and everything earnable by playing only. Not to mention EA thinking NFT's are a great old thing.

Yeah, except they overhauled RttS into *needing* the equipment cards and now needing the Loadout/perk cards since the stat caps are now at 50, and to build up cards you have to do daily/weekly challenges, specific challenges in RttS mode, and specific challenges in Diamond Dynasty.  No secondary position selection for RttS (no more utility RttS), forcing you into 2 way for at least the start, 1 player slot, and loadouts/customization is STILL bugged to shit.

This year was a MAJOR step back for the franchise, and the foundation to EA's model is laid.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Liam said:

Is NHL 22 on the PS5 worth a look on sale?

I've heard this year's is an improved game. I haven't played NHL in a bit. I thought about doing an EA Play trial on the Series S.

I've held strong and not bought FIFA yet this year. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Anyone remember an old Basketball Arcade in 1990s were you punched your opponent in the face instead of blocking the shot? Me and a buddy were talking about it earlier this week but couldn't remember the name or find it. 

2 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Anyone remember an old Basketball Arcade in 1990s were you punched your opponent in the face instead of blocking the shot? Me and a buddy were talking about it earlier this week but couldn't remember the name or find it. 

Arch Rivals?

And as I was writing an article for my blog on what I'm playing in 2022, I'm struck by how I've pretty much dropped out of the yearly sports release window, at least of the AAA-releases.

Madden? Nope. Bought it two-three months after release during a sale, and I do not even have it on my PS5 right now.

FIFA? Nope. Haven't played it for several years (preferring Football Manager)

NHL: Dropped out with the most recent release, I think a lot of the "Well, we're still working on the new-gen level of the game" pushed me away

NBA? Barely, (waited until it was like $20, and that was only one season in the Create-a-Player mode. Not sure I'll do even that for the next version, I hate all the outside-the-game bull you need to do)

Other then my text sims (TEW, OOTP, the Draft Day Sports series), it's only MLB and Football Manager. Now, it's likely because the ones above require so much more interactions online then those two. When I was younger, I thought being able to play a game of sports online against someone was the ultimate thing. Now it's a thing of dread. FM is 99% single-player, so I don't have that issue. And while MLB22 is increasingly online (while you don't need to play online games unless you're completionist), and I'm worried about their descent into lootbox-game, so far, it's avoided being such a blatant money grabber like the ones above.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Arch Rivals?

And as I was writing an article for my blog on what I'm playing in 2022, I'm struck by how I've pretty much dropped out of the yearly sports release window, at least of the AAA-releases.

Madden? Nope. Bought it two-three months after release during a sale, and I do not even have it on my PS5 right now.

FIFA? Nope. Haven't played it for several years (preferring Football Manager)

NHL: Dropped out with the most recent release, I think a lot of the "Well, we're still working on the new-gen level of the game" pushed me away

NBA? Barely, (waited until it was like $20, and that was only one season in the Create-a-Player mode. Not sure I'll do even that for the next version, I hate all the outside-the-game bull you need to do)

Other then my text sims (TEW, OOTP, the Draft Day Sports series), it's only MLB and Football Manager. Now, it's likely because the ones above require so much more interactions online then those two. When I was younger, I thought being able to play a game of sports online against someone was the ultimate thing. Now it's a thing of dread. FM is 99% single-player, so I don't have that issue. And while MLB22 is increasingly online (while you don't need to play online games unless you're completionist), and I'm worried about their descent into lootbox-game, so far, it's avoided being such a blatant money grabber like the ones above.

That might be it. 

30 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

That might be it. 

I played Arch Rivals about a month ago and it definitely fits the description.

For some reasons, my mechanic put an Arch Rivals cabinet in his waiting area.  No other arcade games, so it seems a little out of place.  I fed a few quarters in while i waited for them to finish up my car.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about starting a lengthy "started from the bottom" road to glory in FIFA 22 this week. Not sure where to start. Might try a few different leagues for fun and see which one has longevity.

• Like 1

Since Rippa brought up MLB 22 I took way too much joy in getting the Orioles to the World Series.  Granted, I dumbed down the settings so I can just enjoy playing the game without fucking with analog stick mechanics.  But man it was fun hearing the announcers sound incredulous that a bad team could go all the way.  Now if only they could get there IRL but there's some small glimmers of hope.

• 4 weeks later...

I love Matchpoint though I didn't know about the shadow at first.  So for the first half hour I'm out of bounds on everything while the announcer's wondering what's wrong with my player.  Once I figured it out then it worked out great.  I'm winning a few opens so far in career with things getting a tiny bit tougher each time.  But it's a pretty fun time.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone touched Madden yet? I got the super duper version (was like $10 more with EA Play), but have not touched it much yet.

I think the changes to the passing game were unnecessary, but I'm not a fan of everything going the way of precision meter happy.

Edited by Chaos

I'm going to go ahead and guess that Madden is trash,  because it was released today and I haven't seen a single review. You don't put that kind of review embargo on a good game. I guess I'll be skipping this year's game too. 

17 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm going to go ahead and guess that Madden is trash,  because it was released today and I haven't seen a single review. You don't put that kind of review embargo on a good game. I guess I'll be skipping this year's game too. 

I hate to be that guy, but it's the same as last year. If I had a gun to my head I'd sadly say this year is a tad worse.  I only played a few games as my boss's son had it and I helped him move into his new college dorm. We all seemingly agreed it wasn't anything great and would be better waiting for it on Game Pass than spending $60 on.  

I will also put my name on the Matchpoint Tennis bandwagon. Game is really fun!!