DVDVR Message Board

SDL - 6/27/2017 - Two Tickets To Paradise

Dolfan in NYC

I laughed hard at Daniel telling Carmella she won MitB "the right way" when her playbook was the same at the PPV only less successful.  She only won MitB fairly because Becky pushed Ellsworth off the ladder and Carmella took advantage of the opening and beat Becky down.  By that logic, I should run on the football field and punch the receiver before the QB has a chance to throw him the ball.

Of course, Carmella made a lot of sense in her promos leading up to the match and Daniel Bryan's comeback was basically "Well, um, have we ever had someone climb the ladder and hand the briefcase to someone else?  No?  Good.  Ok, we're stripping the belt from you for that."  

I'm good with the ending.  It's basically a clean finish while still getting Carmella and Ellsworth some heel heat.  Just didn't see why DBry was so pleased.

There would be money in an Ellsworth-DBryan match which was basically Daniel rag-dolling Ellsworth for 5-10 minutes and never taking a bump.  I assume the WWE would never risk opening that door even a crack, though.

Talking Smack Half-Assed Recap

Renee and Bryan are our hosts again

Starts with them talking about Carmella winning MITB. Bryan says she did it "the right way" this time. He then brings up that everyone time some is banned from the building they always get back in. (Hey Daniel - that is on you). As mentioned - Renee points out that wrestlers use "their face as their badge". Bryan breaks out "if you see something, say something". Okay... this Talking Smack (like the actual Smackdown) is gonna be weird

Transition to Cena's return. But Kevin Owens comes out to shut that down.

Talking about Independance Day Battle Royal. KO says he isn't happy and then tells Renee to stop interrupting him and that is "a thing she does" (which Bryan agrees with. Ah so shit stirrer Daniel Bryan is back)

KO rightly points out we need better decision making from Bryan. That how somehow leads to Renee and Bryan doing the poorest of the poor man's Laurel & Hardy. Somehow they wanted Will Smith in the Battle Royal. (KO wants Jeff Goldblum... how the fuck is this segment making me laugh? I might be punch drunk).

KO brings up having a pie thrown in his face last July 4th at the same exact time someone breaks something off stage. I would say this show is officially off the rails but I know what is about to happen.

See video from earlier in the thread where KO says the show is better with Bryan back. It also might have KO complaining about everything having "battle in the title"

Bryan: "It's better than Great Balls of Fire"

Renee: "Touche"

That transitions into a fight over whether it is better to be champion of the United States or the Universe. KO says Universe except when he is champ of the US. And KO says he is better than the Champion of the Universe which Bryan agrees with. And now Renee looks like she is being held on set against her will.

KO brings up that Twitter has informed him what AJ Styles Ron Burgundy line meant. Bryant goes "What does it mean?" Now the version uploaded has indeed censored KO saying "whale's vagina". Apparently live - the censoring didn't go as well. Either way chaos has officially broken out.

While no one is able to keep a straight face - Bryan accuses KO of making a rookie mistake against Goldberg "and turning his back on his opponent when their music played". KO says he was just trying to see what the commotion was about and it was the refs fault for ringing the bell to start the match. Renee says they are dwelling on the past and now everyone is yelling at each other and it is awkward.

KO says anyone who he already beaten shouldn't be in the Battle Royal (specifically meaning AJ and Chad Gable). Bryan says that it is the "Land of Repeat Opportunity". KO shoots back "So where winning and losing doesn't matter because Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan will always give you another shot" and now it is awkward again with shoot comments that aren't meant to be shoot comments.

This all leads to Daniel Bryan bringing up the Seahawks and KO storms out "Sports references... I'm out". Though he pauses to say he knows the Boston Bruins (with his Canadian accent really coming out on Bruins) and Cam Neely. And possibly the New York Giants... if that is their name.

HA! Renee brings up that KO says Bruins funny

HA! HA! KO storms back to confront Renee over the pronunciation of Bruins. Then he keeps storming around the set in and out of frame. It wraps up with KO trying to steal Renee's mug, Renee crying "please don't take my things", KO getting the mug but in the process spilling the entire contents on Renee's phone, and then Renee head bobbing like she has spent far too much time with Naomi.

Basically KO was on for the first 11 minutes of the show

Punjabi Prison match. Bryan and Renee debated whether it is Steel Enforced Bamboo or Bamboo Enforced Steel (Bryan says it makes more sense if it is the former). History of the Punjabi Prison match discussed. The video that JUST HAPPENED TO BE CREATED DESPITE JINDER ANNOUNCING IT ON THE SPOT is played again.

Bryan brings up all the "easy" stipulations that Jinder could have chosen and how this shows how he wants people to respect him)

Bryan talks about calling the CWC and when the Singh Brothers were in it as the Bollywood Boys and then got called up to NXT and weren't used. Bryan says that sometimes when you are trying to make an impact you will do things that people won't like

Talking Smack is brought to you by the new Mattel NXT figures available at only Target

Usos are out. They say they are more poets than rappers. And then do some spoken word which would have been much better than what they did on SDL. Then Bryan's turn as their white friend happens with Bryan freestyling (see the clip Ray posted). For all of you that hate Alexa Bliss being Miss Goody 2 Shoes on social media - you will hate this too.

Renee asks the Usos think New Day will bring to the rap battle: "Booty, Sweat and Trombone Playing". Renee asks who their favorite rappers are. Only 2Pac is mentioned.

Usos say that will leave every title match now. Bryan says he can't support them in the rap battle if they are going to keep leaving. (This is also covered in the clip above). Bryan looking perplexed about what he could possibly due to stop this is the best part of this segment.

Carmella is finally out. Bryan again repeats that she won "the right way". Carmella wants an apology from Bryan for making her cry. Bryan again tells her that they were fake tears. (again covered in clip previously posted). The Big Hog has been destroyed. As noted - Carmella tries to claim she is the only two time MITB winner. A-yup...

Carmella has a year to cash in for specifically the SDL Women's title. I having High School flashbacks and getting angry but thankfully the show is over and Carmella left.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Talking Smack Half-Assed Recap

Basically KO was on for the first 11 minutes of the show

Carmella has a year to cash in for specifically the SDL Women's title.

Two points:

1. Kevin Owens should be allowed to come out and promo Jinder Mahal into submission and be World Champion for 71 years.

2. I can see them running an angle where Carmella keeps the briefcase for the entire year, cashes in at the last possible moment, wins, only to have 2018's winner cash in on her. 

• Like 1

Why shouldn't Carmella call herself the first two-time MITB winner?

• She won the match twice - the result of the first wasn't overturned, just her having the case afterward
  • The only other one was Edge, and he didn't win the ladder match twice - he won one and beat Kennedy one-on-one for the case the second time
  • SHE'S.  A.  HEEL.

EDIT: Ignore the above: I'm an idiot.  Punk won two in a row.  Too many concussions.

I enjoyed the show live (except for the wider-than-Bundy fans crowding my space next to me, but that was quickly handled - bony elbows for the win).  I ended up on the floor to the right of the announcers (near where Natalya and Charlotte spilled out).  Becky was super-over as a baby in the match and the crowd fucking hated Carmella, and especially hated her winning.  However, NOBODY wanted Natalya to win.

Worst part was hearing the kid sitting near me during 205 Live tell his bored parents that he just wanted to stay for the main event "with actual wrestlers."

Best part was the Fashion Vice segment getting a legit standing ovation and applause after it ended.  Just tremendous.

• Like 4

CM Punk won the MITB match at back to back Wrestlemanias. But I guess we've truly entered the he doesn't exist phase of the CM Punk/WWE feud/saga/relationship/soap opera. This probably means that Jinder will hold the belt for two years if the WWE India show is in any way successful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

CM Punk won the MITB match at back to back Wrestlemanias. But I guess we've truly entered the he doesn't exist phase of the CM Punk/WWE feud/saga/relationship/soap opera. This probably means that Jinder will hold the belt for two years if the WWE India show is in any way successful.

So my question was, did Bryan forget this or is Punk the one line Daniel Bryan won't cross?

At first I thought that Daniel Bryan wouldn't break with the company directive to treat Punk as persona non grata and maybe the Rock calling Punk at Raw caused Vince to scare the shit out of everyone regarding Punk. I also thought Bryan could just be referring to the first two time womens MitB winner as a backhanded complement since there were no others before now.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
13 hours ago, hammerva said:

So Lana went from having a competitive 5 or 6 minute match with Naomi in her "first match ever" to losing 2 weeks later in about a minute to the same person.  Yeah that seems to be in the wrong order.   Granted she wasn't great in the Money in the Bank match but since people thought she would be Eva Marie in the ring she more than held her own.  Strange

I dunno, I can buy this from a strategy standpoint. The first match, there was nothing to really prepare Naomi for what Lana could do because there wasn't enough footage on her to study from. The second match, Naomi has a better grasp on Lana's strengths and weaknesses and can beat her faster because she knows how to exploit them.

12 hours ago, Sublime said:

Punk's first reign was forgettable enough, they probably did not remember. 

So Big Banter Baron Corbin was on Talk is Jericho and he talked about how Vince saw him on Talking Smack and due to that he is now allowed to freestyle his promos after given bullet points. So if Talking Smack allows the Smackdown guys and gals to not be 100% scripted all the time on TV then Talking Smack might be the most important thing WWE has done in the Network era.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

So Big Banter Baron Corbin was on Talk is Jericho and he talked about how Vince saw him on Talking Smack and due to that he is now allowed to freestyle his promos after given bullet points. So if Talking Smack allows the Smackdown guys and gals to not be 100% scripted all the time on TV then Talking Smack might be the most important thing WWE has done in the Network era.

All this tells me is that RAW Talk needs to air every Monday night

• Like 1

If only she was from Boston, she could start comparing herself to Tom Brady. Late round draft picks, everyone counted them out, finally got their chance and won championships in completely legitimate ways with no controversy whatsoever. Ellsworth could compare himself to Gisele. It would be great heat.

• Like 2

When is the India tour? Are they taping Raw from there? A Network special maybe? Two shows? Please?

They need to have Jinder win a hard fought match the first night of the tour. Have the Singh brothers get taken out early, and Jinder wins on his own. Probably best against Orton. Then have Baron cash in and steal the belt in his own country. 

Then on the last night of the tour, Jinder is avenging baby face on his home turf against the cowardly Baron. The heat should be nuclear. Jinder doesn't even have to win the belt back. Baron running off through the crowd beating up Indian plants would be a fantastic visual.

But Jinder showing up super pissed and have a whole country behind him would be awesome. Especially if he got to celebrate with the belt, the Indian flag and thousands of fans would be awesome. When he gets back to the States he can be heel again. But he'll always have his "Wrestlemania Moment" even if it's in the summer and on another continent.

If we're going with Big Match Jinder the Main Eventer, they need to give him his special moment and the India Tour is the best possible thing for him.

i mean the two most notable things going for Jinder is that he was a jobber forever and Randy Orton is trying to murder his two little buddies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie M. said:

If only she was from Boston, she could start comparing herself to Tom Brady. Late round draft picks, everyone counted them out, finally got their chance and won championships in completely legitimate ways with no controversy whatsoever. Ellsworth could compare himself to Gisele. It would be great heat.

Well they have mentioned on air that she was a Patriots cheerleader before so she could still do it (and should) so it can still work with her being from "Staten Island"

RE: the India Tour

it was supposed to be Sept as that was what they announced when they were in India the previous time. (Of course - Del Rio was the one who said it so clearly it is his fault)

However - in the last week or two - it came out that the upcoming tour schedule shows no India Tour dates

But everyone believes that they will be announcing some dates before the end of the year soon (both Jinder and Triple H have hinted at this in various interviews)

Some RUMORZ~! (the places I am not going to source because sketchy) claim that the plan is for Jinder to hold the title till at least Royal Rumble

2 hours ago, Charlie M. said:

She actually is from Worcester, Mass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm pissed that WWE hasn't put up any Fashion Files stuff for this ep. This is all I could find 

I watch the whole thing on youtube earlier. What if the culprits behind Fabreeze's headquarters being trashed turned out to be ::: dun dun dun::: The Surf Dudes with Attitudes?