DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is A Vulgar Display of Power - 6/26/2017

Dolfan in NYC

If Joe/Lesnar is a glorified squash match, I'm going to be real pissed. Joe should give Lesnar the most trouble he's had in an actual match in quite some time. Give them 20 minutes and watch Meltzer's eyeballs explode.

• Like 3

I'd sign for 10+ of hard hitting stiffing the fuck outta each other action.  anything more is a bonus. I forget who said it but this is a perfect mix.   Brock is an unbeatable freak of nature who is barely around so whenever he's there it feels like a big deal and Samoa Joe is a fucking badass with a protected submission hold who has not yet been ruined on the main roster.  Perfect mix. 

So they book Nia Jax to be the big babyface enduring all challengers and then have a rested Sasha beat her clean. All you had to do was reverse the order and have Nia be the final boss for Sasha. As it stands right now Nia Jax is the babyface monster who has a reason to want to destroy Alexa and Nia overcame most of the division only to lose cleanly to Sasha, who is a tweener at best and has little history with Little Miss Bliss.

• Like 3

So remember how Corey had always said how he liked Cass and hated Enzo? Why exactly did he squeal on Cass then?

The women's match was really good, except once Sasha came out last. As soon as I saw that, I knew they were going to have her win, unfortunately. Big disapointment that they didn't let Nia run the gauntlet and instead went with the old plucky underdog angle.

• Like 1

Not surprisingly - the WWE has been out and about apologizing for the language during the train wreck 

Like Deadspin wrote a story and then updated it saying the WWE sent them a statement unprompted apologizing as "the language doesn't represent their values"

I like how the company's "values" can change so much within the span of 10 or 11 years. Y'know, since that time Vince McMahon, an old white man, used the same word while speaking to John Cena, with Booker T also featured in the skit.

Is anyone really making a big deal about it? Are people threatening to boycott WWE because a young black teenager uttered the word twice, unscripted, in a comedy segment?

I am! Wait, no I'm not. Is it me or does Michael Hayes wish he was A Pimp Named Slickback every time I see him in those kind of clothes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

I am! Wait, no I'm not. Is it me or does Michael Hayes wish he was A Pimp Named Slickback every time I see him in those kind of clothes.

You mean his name's Slickback?

• Like 2

I wasn't really feeling the gauntlet match until the closing portion. Sasha made Nia look great and I liked the post match altercation between Sasha and Alexa. At least I feel like we're getting some sort of direction now. But just who did Emma piss off? lol

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Is anyone really making a big deal about it? Are people threatening to boycott WWE because a young black teenager uttered the word twice, unscripted, in a comedy segment?

Yes - because they are now a publicly traded company.

I mean people sit around waiting to be outraged so they can file complaints to the FCC and to sponsors. And that isn't even talking about social media now which let people be "outraged" immediately

Per Meltzer and Alvarez - it was absolutely chaos backstage after the segment and they got the Balls the fuck out the building because "people were freaking out"

Of course - why they expected it to go any other way is beyond me

• Like 1

I am calling bullshit on the "got the Balls the fuck out of the building" part given that one of the male robots did a WWE exclusive interview with the 3 of them.  Now Lavar was a little subdued in the interview by his standards but yeah calling bullshit

29 minutes ago, nate said:

You mean his name's Slickback?

Bitch, it's A Pimp Named Slickback!  Just like A Tribe Called Quest, you've got to say the whole thing!

And since Brock is playing the babyface in the Joe feud, that gives me hope that he'll do a little selling in the match.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Jamal said:

I wasn't really feeling the gauntlet match until the closing portion. Sasha made Nia look great and I liked the post match altercation between Sasha and Alexa. At least I feel like we're getting some sort of direction now. But just who did Emma piss off? lol

Knowing WWE they're still upset she couldn't/wouldn't pull off Emmalina.

Loved the gauntlet match and was very happy to see Nia being shown as the dominant monster she should be.  I agree with Brysynner that the layout was off but not certain what else they could have done.  But all in all it worked out.

And if Lavar's son is why the segment got cut short then I'm kind of thanking him for that.  That segment was beyond brutal and I felt bad for Miz trying to salvage it.  What I can't figure out is why they gave his kids a microphone, just give Lavar the mic and pass it around.  If anything it might have decreased the chance of that line being picked up.

• Like 1

I thought the Ball segment was amusing for Miz's attempts to rein it in - and Lavar Ball's apparent "I don't give a F***" attitude.

Honestly, he was so over the top - even by his standards - that I kinda think he was encouraged to dial it up a notch.

I personally wasn't offended by the segment or the N-bombs, but I think it was offensive so I don't blame anyone who was upset.  It's another of Vince's attempts to cater to the crassest, most lowbrow portion of his audience - then cry "elitist.  It's just entertainment" when anyone is offended or doesn't enjoy it. 

Coincidentally, the XFL documentary was airing on ESPN2 while this was going on and Vince was on camera musing that beating up Bob Costa on camera during their infamous interview would have been "good tv" but he (Vince) couldn't do it because Costas was "small".

Vince is undeniably successful but I wonder how successful he could have been if he understood how the average person acts and thinks.  Vince filters everything through his own warped perceptions and thinks the key to success is to be a carnival sideshow all the  time and that doesn't work in most segments of the population.  Hell, it didn't even work with football fans, which is not an elitist demographic.  Vince thought the key to making the XFL watchable was strippers in the end zone and fewer safety precautions, not a better football game.

Most people aren't carnies and don't want carny culture in their homes or on their tv.

26 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I thought the Ball segment was amusing for Miz's attempts to rein it in - and Lavar Ball's apparent "I don't give a F***" attitude.

Honestly, he was so over the top - even by his standards - that I kinda think he was encouraged to dial it up a notch.

I personally wasn't offended by the segment or the N-bombs, but I think it was offensive so I don't blame anyone who was upset.  It's another of Vince's attempts to cater to the crassest, most lowbrow portion of his audience - then cry "elitist.  It's just entertainment" when anyone is offended or doesn't enjoy it. 

Coincidentally, the XFL documentary was airing on ESPN2 while this was going on and Vince was on camera musing that beating up Bob Costa on camera during their infamous interview would have been "good tv" but he (Vince) couldn't do it because Costas was "small".

Vince is undeniably successful but I wonder how successful he could have been if he understood how the average person acts and thinks.  Vince filters everything through his own warped perceptions and thinks the key to success is to be a carnival sideshow all the  time and that doesn't work in most segments of the population.  Hell, it didn't even work with football fans, which is not an elitist demographic.  Vince thought the key to making the XFL watchable was strippers in the end zone and fewer safety precautions, not a better football game.

Most people aren't carnies and don't want carny culture in their homes or on their tv.

A look into the mind of Vince McMahon

41 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I just hope that the Oddel Beckham looking one grows up in one year of UCLA better or the same than the one that got drafted on Tuesday.  

If LaMelo manages to stay a bit longer than Lonzo did, I'd almost guarantee it. 

I'm not a fan of LaVar Ball. That being said, I appreciated his homage to Sho'Nuff from The Last Dragon last night.

• Like 1