DVDVR Message Board

GLOW on Netflix

Dolfan in NYC

To answer @West Newbury Bad Boy's question:

Spoiler

I'd say, probably yes. When they walk into the gay bar, the look on Bash's face is of abject terror.  He's not scared of what he sees, he's scared of being recognized.  It's the early 1980's and he's the heir to a lot of money and being gay could lead to all the money going away.  

Fabian's death of "pneumonia" is also very clearly AIDS-related.  Fabian was probably his rentboy and maybe later his partner... thus, the concern for him when he disappeared (though them tying his disappearance to bouncing a check leads me to think the earlier).  There's a solid chance that Fabian's death means Bash is HIV+ himself, though that's not clear.  But what is clear, he's shattered by the loss and panicking hard by the end.

Bash's quickie marriage to Britannica is super convenient as a cover story while he figures stuff out. Whether she knows it or not, she's his beard, and he's her ticket to residency.  It's sleazy as hell, but both sides gain something out of it. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

To answer @West Newbury Bad Boy's question:

Hide contents

I'd say, probably yes. When they walk into the gay bar, the look on Bash's face is of abject terror.  He's not scared of what he sees, he's scared of being recognized.  It's the early 1980's and he's the heir to a lot of money and being gay could lead to all the money going away.  

Fabian's death of "pneumonia" is also very clearly AIDS-related.  Fabian was probably his rentboy and maybe later his partner... thus, the concern for him when he disappeared (though them tying his disappearance to bouncing a check leads me to think the earlier).  There's a solid chance that Fabian's death means Bash is HIV+ himself, though that's not clear.  But what is clear, he's shattered by the loss and panicking hard by the end.

Bash's quickie marriage to Britannica is super convenient as a cover story while he figures stuff out. Whether she knows it or not, she's his beard, and he's her ticket to residency.  It's sleazy as hell, but both sides gain something out of it. 

Spoiler

I thought they were very clear about Fabian’s sexuality and what caused his death. But I couldn’t tell if that was disgust or not on Bash at the bar. I dismissed outright fear of being outed just because he brought Carmen into such a potentially damaging situation. Off of that, I convinced myself the quickly marriage could be a result of insecurity over potentially being associated with  Fabian’s lifestyle. 

He’s most likely gay. But since they weren’t explicit in spelling it out, I figured I’d ask.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 5:26 AM, Go2Sleep said:

The only nerdy wrestling problem I had with the show was some of the moves didn't fit the timeline of the show. Chris Daniels was doing a fucking double springboard moonsault in 1985... Come on.

IIRC, Kenji Mutoh was killing guys with a full belly moonsault through  three gimmicks starting in the mid 80's:  Space Lone Wolf, Super Black Ninja, and the Great Muta.  There were also a couple of Gurrero brothers using moonsault finishers in the 80's.

It's not unreasonable for someone in a 80's pro wrestling period piece to finish a guy with a moonsault.

People usually want to credit Edourad Carpentier with the moonsault, but I've yet to see a match where he finished anyone with that backflip spot. 

Usually his finisher was a rolling senton.

Has anybody else gotten a survey from Netflix about GLOW?  This is the first time I’ve gotten anything like that from them.  I don’t really know what that might say about the future of the show.

How many people I had talked with about the show, how I talked to them (in person, social media, etc), if they had seen the show or not, stuff like that.  Then a bunch of general questions about what I liked about the show and my demographics and shit.  But they seemed primarily interested in figuring out how strong the word of mouth is for GLOW.

I love it, so of course, I was like, I TOLD 30 PEOPLE TO WATCH IT.

• Like 3

Hahaha

BTW, regarding Bash

Spoiler

I thought about it some more and BASH contracting HIV seems out of place for this series. I could see him having a scare and there being an episode surrounding his HIV test, but I just don't see him being positive.

Now, I could see them turning Sam into enough of an asshole to tell Bash to fuck off once he finds out he's gay.

• Like 2

Finally finished season 2 and loved it.  What to me is so great about this show is that it takes a cliched format like pro wrestling and is still able to add twists to make it clever and original.  Pretty much every episode I felt like I knew exactly where it was going...and then I'm proven wrong (Episode 4 being a prime example.)  

I'll be the nerd to say the anachronisms are a little annoying.  It's clearly early 1986, wrestlers weren't charging $20 for a photo, men weren't wrestling women in almost any capacity, and the big finale song came out a year later.

The last line makes me fully believe there will be a season 3.  It's almost like the writers just added it because they knew.

And Maron does a better job in GLOW than he did playing himself in his own show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

I'll be the nerd to say the anachronisms are a little annoying.  It's clearly early 1986, wrestlers weren't charging $20 for a photo, men weren't wrestling women in almost any capacity, and the big finale song came out a year later.

73a56cdcb20bbb8092db616e35a10477.jpg

hi

• Like 2

I finished up S2 last night. I loved i, maybe even more than the first. I though they did a better job giving everyone on the show a bit more meat in their roles. I love that Kia Stevens more or less got an entire episode. She has proven to be a pretty good actress. Loved where they went direction wise for most everything. I'm with Sublime on 4, 7, & 9 being the best episodes this time around.

About Bash

I read him as being DEEPLY closeted. As in, I'm not sure he's ever had sex with a man. I'm thinking if he and Fabian had actually been lovers, the idea of it being a gay bar would've occurred to him before he got there. I read it as deep self-loathing, mixed with a sudden realization that he was alone. Hence the quickie wedding, less a beard (though definitely still that) and more a desperate attempt to not be all alone.

• Like 7

That may be the case as well.That's another good read of the situation.

Also, I just got the Glow survey the other day. Went to watch an episode of The Staircase and it popped up. Interesting...I've never had anything like that come up before.

Just finished it last night. Regarding Bash

Spoiler

I missed the interaction in the bar because I stepped out of the room, and I haven't revisited season one, but I never got the impression he and Florian were an actual couple. Bash may be gay, but I definitely don't think he's ever been sexually active with Florian or anyone else. If he was (especially with someone who was out to some degree as Florian appeared to be) I think he'd be a little more clued in about the specifics of HIV and bleaching the house wouldn't be his biggest priority. I understand it was 85 and there was a great deal of misinformation out there (although it's actually one of the most significant years as far as the general public's understanding of it growing) but I think if he was active with Florian then Florian would smarten him up. I do think there's plenty of room for interpretation (maybe Bash is so deeply closeted he was in a relationship with Florian and they never articulated it or had conversations about being gay or the HIV epidemic. Maybe Florian just didn't have any interest in learning about HIV because he was more comfortable being in the dark.) I'm in the camp that it wouldn't quite match the tone of the show if Bash is also positive. It's a little too breezy to go that heavy, even if they occasionally explore heavier issues. 

Just finished the season. What a fantastic show. Kia Stevens was awesome. 

Spoiler

A woman wrestler marrying a mark for a green card, only to humiliate him at the behest of a drugged up money man hiding his sexuality is the most on-brand sleazy 80s wrestling thing possible.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2017 at 7:06 PM, Brian Fowler said:

On one hand, a double jump moonsault on a tiny spot show in the United States in 1985?!? That kinda stuff bugged me.

On the other, yeah, this was pretty great.

The only thing on the wrestling part that didn't make any sense to me was why were there so many british wrestling posters on the wall for an indie show in Southern California.  I highly doubt Big Daddy has a California run in 1985.    There might have been one poster that I though had Buddy Rose but even that was Portland.   But again not that important.

I haven't gotten to season 2 yet so maybe my opinion will change but my favorite secondary characters are Sam's daughter pretending to be the ultimate fan girl to see who his dad really was and Arthie as this kind of shy girl who kind of realizes in the middle of the match how much people hate the Middle East.  The scene where they are watching the plane hijacking on TV and how incredibly uncomfortable about it was hiliarious

18 hours ago, hammerva said:

I haven't gotten to season 2 yet so maybe my opinion will change but my favorite secondary characters are Sam's daughter pretending to be the ultimate fan girl to see who his dad really was and Arthie as this kind of shy girl who kind of realizes in the middle of the match how much people hate the Middle East.  The scene where they are watching the plane hijacking on TV and how incredibly uncomfortable about it was hiliarious

She wasn't quite pretending. She is a fan.

Man episode 14 that focuses on Welfare Queen being humiliated by the supposed babyface Liberty Belle while his son was watching was extremely powerful shit.  While it was so amazingly awkward and offensive it actually told a great message about how much a mom is willing do anything for his son to be at Stanford.   So far the best episode of both seasons for me

Liberty Belle is easily the most hatable "good girl" possible.  but it is sort of like Hogan where even though he was a complete ass at times if he puts a lot of bells and whistles behind it to get sympathy. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 2:19 AM, Brian Fowler said:

About Bash

Hide contents

I read him as being DEEPLY closeted. As in, I'm not sure he's ever had sex with a man. I'm thinking if he and Fabian had actually been lovers, the idea of it being a gay bar would've occurred to him before he got there. I read it as deep self-loathing, mixed with a sudden realization that he was alone. Hence the quickie wedding, less a beard (though definitely still that) and more a desperate attempt to not be all alone.

Leaving out spoiler tags because it's late August already.

This was exactly my impression.  His reaction at the gay bar was one of a guy who is terrified to admit to himself his true orientation.  I highly doubt he'll come back positive, but god damn, Florian dying of "complications related to pneumonia" was spot-fucking-on as far as how we talked about AIDS in the 80s and 90s.  High profile AIDS deaths were typically referred to like this in that era because of the stigma.  Thanks, Reagan.

Maron is getting a lot of love here, and it';s deserved.  But holy shit is Allison Brie amazing.  She is doing anything asked of her and is showing such an incredible range.  I really hope her career keeps going upward from here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Renewed for season 3!

That's great news as I can't wait to see them go to Vegas.

The start of season 2 was weird in that the first couple episodes had Ruth do something great only to be crushed by Sam.  But from episode 4 on it was much more enjoyable.  It was so damn fun to watch and while it might not be fully accurate to what really happened I'm glad to see this show get the success it's getting.

• Like 2