DVDVR Message Board

GLOW on Netflix

Dolfan in NYC

Chavo Guerrero and Lanny Poffo were doing moonsaults in the US in 1985, so it's not completely preposterous.

I was more irked that they based an entire cold open around Roxette's "The Look," a song that wouldn't even be written for another three years.

• Like 2

Just finished watching the show.  Very good not great.  I thought the finale was fantastic as well as episode 8 where Liberty & Ruth work on their match.  Those two episodes felt, to me, like the makers of the show "got it".  Didn't care for the nonsense with Sam's daughter.  The cast, for the most part, was very good and the limited wrestling they showed was, at the very least, on par with what we saw in the real GLOW.

I do have to laugh, however, at anyone saying that the nudity for Alison Brie in the first episode was anything other than gratuitous.  I mean, c'mon, a topless changing scene in a locker room?  That's Hollywood Schlock Cliche 101.  And the nude sex scene was very obviously just there so they could say "Alison Brie gets naked!" in their promo stuff.  Yeah, the storyline was important.  But it could easily have been done PG-13 or even not shown at all and not changed the show at all.  That said, I'm not complaining :)

Eager to see season 2 for sure.

Love the show. I have watched it twice through, and some eps I have seen 3 or 4 times now.

I was thinking of Sam as Vince Russo from his lesbian space opera all the way to his swerve cheap pop ending. This is someone who doesn't know about wrestling and -- unlike Ruth -- doesn't care to learn. There's absolutely no reason that already overbooked but well-done ending had to then get shat on by the WQ run-in. It's your debut show. Let the crowd leave happy. You always have next time for WQ to cut one of her awesome promos and set up a grudge match. Instead, it's just confusing and messy. (and Debbie could have been hurt by WQ, who works rough and clearly likes going into business for herself with no consideration for her opponents - compare to Zoya making sure Fortune Cookie is ready before the suplex) 

Minor nitpick, though, and the sort of thing only we fans will notice. Just like Debbie and Ruth walking into the crowd afterwards and having a conversation. I don't blame them for that kind of mistake, though. They have no veterans to teach them these things. Machu Piccu knows some things, but once they fired Johnny Nitro they had no one. 

The only thing I noticed about the overbooked ending is that it seemed anachronistic as far as mid-eighties wrestling goes; even for GLOW. Impromptu title matches? Was that a thing back then; even in regional promotions or other low-rent outfits? But it worked wonderfully for the show's season finale.

Watched this with my wife over the course of a few days, and we both loved it. A few impressions: 

- I haaaaaated Ruth and considered Debbie to be the show's true heroine. If that was intentional, kudos to the writing team for turning the conventional '80s wisdom -- the more plain (insomuch as Allison Brie can be) brunette is the hero, and the gorgeous blonde is the villain -- on its ear. 

- Kia Stevens is a STAR. I always loved her as a wrestler and thought she oozed charisma as Awesome Kong, and she's quite funny in her shoot interviews. Even still, I was blown away at how great she was in this role. I seriously think she's got major studio star power in her future. 

- Alex Riley's a dirtbag and I was bummed with all the wrestlers out there that he was who got that part -- but seeing my wife's reaction to him, I can understand why. Also, I can't begrudge her too much since the male audience got its fan service in Episode 1. 

- I'm not a regular listener of Marc Maron's podcast; not because I don't like him, I just have only so much time for podcasts. However, I'm curious how much of a wrestling fan he's evolved into. I know he's buddies with Punk and Colt, and after working on this show, he's got to be more into it. I doubt he'll ever be a Jon Stewart super-fan, but it's great when a high-profile personality known for their intellect like Stewart or Maron is a wrestling fan. 

3 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

- I'm not a regular listener of Marc Maron's podcast; not because I don't like him, I just have only so much time for podcasts. However, I'm curious how much of a wrestling fan he's evolved into. I know he's buddies with Punk and Colt, and after working on this show, he's got to be more into it. I doubt he'll ever be a Jon Stewart super-fan, but it's great when a high-profile personality known for their intellect like Stewart or Maron is a wrestling fan. 

Those who liked or loved GLOW should really listen to Marc's interviews with Chavo and Kia.  He's clearly "getting it" though I doubt he'll be watching RAW anytime soon.

All of his past wrestler interviews are solid too, but by all means, dig up his Bob Mould interview where Marc's mind gets blown learning about Bob's backstage role in WCW.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Breezed through this season over the weekend.  Still very good stuff.   Some bigger themes going on in this season (two different approaches to LGBT life in the 80's, sexual harrassment/assault, family & relationships).  

Maron really deserves an Emmy for his work.  

• Like 5

I watched the season over the weekend as well. Thought this season may not have been as consistent as the first but the highs were higher. I agree that Maron deserves an Emmy, he was tremendous this season. Don't want to go into too many spoilers since the season hasn't been up for very long. But I'll say I thought episodes 4, 7 and 9 were the best episodes. Really interested in season 3. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Maron really deserves an Emmy for his work.  

He’s good. But comedy supporting actor belongs to Brian Tyree Henry if there’s any justice (there is not).

I watched the whole season. Like last year,  it’s good but I don’t rate it as highly as others. Some good work all around though, from Brie, Maron, Gilpin, Stevens and on down the line. 

I’ve got one question for anyone who’d like to chime in.

Spoiler

Is Bash gay? I could read his arc this season a couple different ways.