DVDVR Message Board

GLOW on Netflix

Dolfan in NYC

18 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I find the "Liberty Bell is a bitch and Ruth is great" talking point odd figuring what Ruth did to Libby was way worse then anything Liberty did all season. I liked both characters overall, but dont get that talking point.

It's weird, I know, but I am more forgiving of a catastrophic mistake than general unpleasantness. For Belle, too, it's the fact that she's just handed the role and focus of the promotion without wanting or earning it. I softened on Belle by the end of the season, but Team Zoya foreva!

Doesn't matter anyway, if there's another season, Machu Picchu is going to become the star.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EVA said:

Without getting too deep into spoilers, I will say that there are only two characters who are ever put forward as having a legitimately good match at any point in there series, and they get there because they actually go outside of GLOW to be trained by legit wrestlers.

Especially coming after a scene where it's clear that Cherry actually only has like 3 moves that she can teach them and just wants the girls to mix them up each match ("The audience won't be able to tell." or something to that effect.)

20 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I find the "Liberty Bell is a bitch and Ruth is great" talking point odd figuring what Ruth did to Libby was way worse then anything Liberty did all season. I liked both characters overall, but dont get that talking point.

Glad I'm not alone in this. I liked both characters a good deal along with their complicated relationship.

I decided to go finish the series based on this thread. I start episode five and am excited to see a cameo by

Spoiler

Uncle Jack from Always Sunny sans his mustache.

It is feeling like it has turned a corner where Ruth feels like someone you can care about and the tertiary characters seem to be getting some spotlight. 

• Like 1

Still working my way through and once again "Carlito" shows up and I didn't buy that was Carlito.  It just looks nothing like him.  And then he started playing with an apple.  So yeah, that's him.  That guy has changed a LOT in the past 6-7 years.  

• Like 1

Most of what Liberty Belle was spouting during her training was heel talk.  Even at the end when she challenged Zoya, she was kind of a bitch.  Yeah, yeah, Mrs. America vs. Russian, she could sound kinda bitchy, but she always seemed to have a heel edge to her.  I don't see her playing babyface in peril very well.  Also, did they show if her hubby stayed or took off after she went in the ring?  I don't think I caught that.

Other than that, loved it!  Even my wife, who can't STAND wrestling, loved it.  Watched every episode with me.  I completely missed that was Kong, Hogan and Carlito. 

I'm up to episode 7. I know they were trying to get across how low-budget the production of GLOW is to start off, but the first show they held in the dingy gym looked awful drab in in terms of how the actual GLOW or anything else in the eighties would've been presented. I guess things will start to look a little more neon as the show (within a show) gains traction.  

4 minutes ago, Victator said:

Might be the same vitamins that Hogan took in the eighties. 

Yeah, I guess he looked more jacked but I mainly noticed he looked to have aged 15 years in the face. Of course, liking the juice also means extra muscular striations facially. Jinder is walking proof of that.

• Like 1

Just finished it.  Enjoyed it.  I thought Kia did really well, I know she was really funny when she appeared on Cabana's podcast, but considering the only major amount of mic work I ever heard was her announcement she was going to leave WWE, so I was really pleasantly surprised that she did so well in her parts.  I think as they went on, they did a good job of getting the bakcground characters like Sheila and Biddies to contribute to the comedy.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:17 AM, EVA said:

Sam knows fuck all about wrestling, though.

The bad guy being the big obstacle for the good guy to eventually take down is not just a wrestling cliché, so it makes sense that Sam who seemingly does know about horror movies would stick with that idea.

Putting the title on Ruth to tease that she's the big bad works in context of the Netflix storyline, having Liberty Belle beat her immediately does set her up as the top good girl and then having the evil monster Welfare Queen immediately win the title from our good girl now gives a reason for those two to face off eventually. We never see Sam's movies but my guess is he has a mini monster who is seemingly the antagonist to the heroine, the heroine beats the mini monster midway through the film and then there's a bigger monster who is the true antagonist.

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What a line! That should be used a lot. 

Does Carlito still have the patchy beard? He looked dire even then just with that. We need pictures, folks

No, even though mangy shrubbery is just what he needed to hide his old lady laugh lines. Really the fact that people in this thread weren't even sure if it was him is the ultimate evidence of how deep the fuck pie must have been Carlito's been dipping his head in this whole time.