DVDVR Message Board

GLOW on Netflix

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, happjack said:

Per the Wikipedia page McClane and a group of wrestlers left GLOW over creative differences and McClane started POWW. In the early 2000's he started WOW which was pretty much GLOW 2.0, they used a lot of the same gimmicks. 

With the way Meshulam Riklis who was the money behind GLOW operated the rights were probably wrapped up in some leveraged buyout then sold off to a shell company during a bankruptcy and then forgotten about. 

From my understanding, he sold them to Ursula Hayden who played Babe the Farmer's Daughter in seasons 3 and 4. She was selling high quality dvds not that long ago. 

The show was pretty good. Just finished episode 10. It definitely captures the flavor of Glow, including the political incorrectness of season 1. 

1 hour ago, happjack said:

Per the Wikipedia page McClane and a group of wrestlers left GLOW over creative differences and McClane started POWW. In the early 2000's he started WOW which was pretty much GLOW 2.0, they used a lot of the same gimmicks. 

With the way Meshulam Riklis who was the money behind GLOW operated the rights were probably wrapped up in some leveraged buyout then sold off to a shell company during a bankruptcy and then forgotten about. 

From my understanding, he sold them to Ursula Hayden who played Babe the Farmer's Daughter in seasons 3 and 4. She was selling high quality dvds not that long ago. 

The show was pretty good. Just finished episode 10. It definitely captures the flavor of Glow, including the political incorrectness of season 1. 

Mcclane also had plans to run an NWA backed women's promotion featuring American and ARSION talent but the money fell through a few motnhs after the announcement of the launch. 

James

For a second there, I got a kick out of the idea that as soon as Ruth got the book, she immediately put herself over for the  title.  VERISIMILITUDE.

But then I also got a kick out of Sam pulling a Russo and ruining a perfectly good finish for the sake of unpredictability.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EVA said:

For a second there, I got a kick out of the idea that as soon as Ruth got the book, she immediately put herself over for the  title.  VERISIMILITUDE.

But then I also got a kick out of Sam pulling a Russo and ruining a perfectly good finish for the sake of unpredictability.

I don't think he did it for unpredictability, but because unless your name is Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin or John Cena, the money is always in a heel champ with the babyface chasing in the face of insurmountable odds.

I think we all recognized the David McLane character immediately.  I was actually stunned that Marc Maron as the director was based on a legit real person too.  There really was a hack blood and guts director who once formed GLOW. Who was somehow once married to Jayne Mansfield.  

About halfway through the series so far- pleasantly surprised at how good it is. Cindy has enjoyed it way more than I expected as she is most definitely NOT a fan of wrestling proper, yet the comedy has been really solid. Kia Stevens is easily the biggest revelation of the show so far- she could go a long way in acting.

Spoiler

"Did you direct Star Wars?" We howled for that one. Who knew Tyrus had such a way with a line?

It took me til episode 7 to figure out that Liberty Belle's shitass husband was the dude that tried to scam on Pam in "The Office". Double fuck him. I loved it. Thought it got progressively better, with the last 3 episodes being super strong. Good on Alex Riley for getting a payday.

• Like 1

Just finished up the last three episodes. Thought it was pretty good whole. It started off decent and got better as it went on. The final 3 episodes were particularly strong. I'm satisfied if this is the only season though I will be there if another is given the go.

So how many wrestlers managed cameo in this?

Christopher Daniels, Kazarian, Joey Ryan, Alex "Say it to my face" Riley, Carlito, Tyrus/Brodus, and Johnny Mundo/Morrison are the ones that come to mind. I popped hard for Riley.

I'm with my fellow canuck elizium on this one. Ruth was so great! And I couldn't stand Liberty Belle. In that regard, they nailed the whole "heels are usually the nicest people in wrestling while faces are vainglorious douchebags" aspect perfectly. The scene where Ruth tries to win over Debbie's favour by performing a one woman match was so adorable and perfect. The supporting cast is super strong but the money is in the Ruth/Sam leads, as it should be.

Also, I don't get Vic's stance other than it being Vic and overly protective of wrestling. The women start off thinking it's a joke but totally get it by the midway point of the show. Even the two female leads became wrestling fans and watch Raw looking for moves they can do in later seasons when their characters become better wrestlers (and they themselves are more capable).

Last note, I loooooooved that they hired that Judd Nelson looking fellar, Chris Lowell, to play Bash. Really fun character too.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Also, I don't get Vic's stance other than it being Vic and overly protective of wrestling.

That is fair to a point. I think my issue is with wrestling as open as it is now, the girls not being properly trained fractured the reality of the show for me. Everyone knows how much training goes into taking bumps. The show itself in real life had someone train the actors on how to properly bump. 

But in the show they dismiss the trainer and one of the untrained girls watches tapes and teaches the others to bump. In our real world that would be incredibly dangerous and in the story of the real GLOW, the girls did get hurt. 

My feeling is the producers did not want a man training them. So I don't get why they did not have some idealized version of Moolah or whatever train them. 

I do realize its stupid of me to still be protective when people in the business don't care. 

Oh anybody know the name of the giant who slapped Maron?

• Like 1

Without getting too deep into spoilers, I will say that there are only two characters who are ever put forward as having a legitimately good match at any point in there series, and they get there because they actually go outside of GLOW to be trained by legit wrestlers.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I find the "Liberty Bell is a bitch and Ruth is great" talking point odd figuring what Ruth did to Libby was way worse then anything Liberty did all season. I liked both characters overall, but dont get that talking point.

Meh. Walter White is a massive piece of shit but I'd rather watch him than Skylar.

• Like 1