DVDVR Message Board

GLOW on Netflix

Dolfan in NYC

19 minutes ago, Control said:

Was GLOW (the real thing) any good? Can you still track down original shows?

Check out the doc from a few years ago that's on Netflix and there's a ton of stuff on YouTube. At times it's really bad but it also has "its so bad it's good" moments. There's also a lot of WTF moments like the Gestapo Match and Mt. Fiji under a voodoo curse. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Control said:

Was GLOW (the real thing) any good? Can you still track down original shows?

The very first episode is on youtube, in pretty decent quality. A lot of the more well known characters weren't introduced yet, but Ivory is there. Matilda the Hun makes the episode, she has a great number about how much she loves meat.

Well I am near the end of the second episode and I am almost done. 

Okay on one level, almost all the characters are despicable and its been difficult to spend time around them. Its been shot and paced well, but at this point I would not mind if half the cast died in episode 2. 

Now on a second level. I love wrestling and dislike seeing it get shit on. Which I know is considered a crime in 2017, well sue me.

Just starting episode 4 and am really enjoying it. Nothing to spoiler-y, but am going to box it anyway, just in case anyone hasn't gotten that far yet.

Spoiler

Pretty glad Time Traveling Mundo only lasted the one episode. He looked pretty unbelievable as an 80s wrestler. I feel like the trainer should have been some paunchy, over the hill jobber type. Are there any Duke of Dorchester looking motherfuckers wrestling today?

Alison Brie and Marc Maron have great chemistry. I feel like this can go one of two ways; either they end up together or he od's and his death is what finally brings all the girls together.

Speaking of conflict, you can't be surprised when Harry Crane cheats on you with your best friend.

The girl playing the Mountain Fiji-esque character is the best. I love when Not David McClain tells her she's going to be a good guy because of how cute she is. "I'm a good guy!........Good GIRL!"

Fun show, hoping it stays this way and warrants another year.

• Like 1

Halfway through and I'm really enjoying this.  I like how Maron is doing a better job seemingly playing himself here than on his own IFC show.

And I've come to the conclusion that Allison Brie is basically playing Diane Chambers.  A self-important person who takes a job beneath them unaware that she isn't nearly as talented as she thinks she is.

• Like 6

I watched it all this evening and thought it was a really good show for the most part.  It did a really good job of capturing the spirit and campyness of the original GLOW and also giving a lot of good insight into how wrestling works (most notably the scene where some of the girls go to an actual wrestling match and it dawns on one about how it's exactly like a soap opera).  Should this get picked up I'm thinking Ruth ends up like Piper in OITNB in that she's intended to be the main character but ends up being less interesting and popular than the supporting characters.

On 6/23/2017 at 11:46 PM, elizium said:

Hide contents

Pretty glad Time Traveling Mundo only lasted the one episode. He looked pretty unbelievable as an 80s wrestler. I feel like the trainer should have been some paunchy, over the hill jobber type. Are there any Duke of Dorchester looking motherfuckers wrestling today?

I don't see why they didn't have Chavo play their trainer considering he was the trainer for all the actresses.  He could have just played Mando (or a parody of him) who was the trainer for the original girls.

I have 2 episodes left, so I don't know if anything happens that will change my mind, but I really like Ruth. She's the over eager theatre kid that has been slapped hard by reality as she's gotten older. Becoming an actress is the only thing that's ever made sense to her, so a lot of her obnoxiousness and antics is just her desperately trying to hold on to that part of her life.

Now Liberty Belle, however, is the dirt worst. I could use a lot less of her in any upcoming seasons. She's already got the backstage politicking down pat.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Am I the only one who saw Allison Brie topless in the first episode and in my head heard Troy and Abed saying "ANNIE'S BOOBS"?

The sounds of "Annie's Boobs!" in my head was quickly drowned out by "no wonder you wanted to watch this show" from the lady to my right.  

• Like 4

On 6/23/2017 at 7:49 PM, Happ Hazzard said:

Who owns the rights to the original GLOW? Still David McClane? Maybe it will end up on Netflix or Amazon. Or maybe WWE will buy it for their Network.

Per the Wikipedia page McClane and a group of wrestlers left GLOW over creative differences and McClane started POWW. In the early 2000's he started WOW which was pretty much GLOW 2.0, they used a lot of the same gimmicks. 

With the way Meshulam Riklis who was the money behind GLOW operated the rights were probably wrapped up in some leveraged buyout then sold off to a shell company during a bankruptcy and then forgotten about.