DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SUMMER 2017

Dolfan in NYC

The Malouda fiasco might be the craziest thing I can recall in a major international tournament. They basically forfeited the tournament. CONCACAF is likely going to drop the hammer on them with fines and future tournament bans. The French Guiana federation pretty much committed suicide. The real winner in all of this is Honduras, who see an embarrassing scoreless draw turned into a 3-0 win. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Did we really just blow a 2 goal lead to fucking Martinique?

EDIT -- We do not deserve Jordan Morris

That game was quite the frustrating watch. US blew many opportunities to score, and Martinique almost pulled the upset when it caught the U.S. napping. Guzan not saving that first goal was surprising, but it just seems like one of the many things that would happen when you're running a B-team as a nation that maybe doesn't yet have the depth to run a confident b-team.

Arena needs to bring in Beckham or someone to be a consultant on set pieces because our corner play was horrendous.

You can laugh at Martinique but after seeing them I would not be shocked in the least if they got a result vs Panama. Some of their players were the big winners last night because they are likely going to get calls from MLS, USL and NASL teams.

On 12.7.2017 at 6:42 PM, sabremike said:

The Malouda fiasco might be the craziest thing I can recall in a major international tournament. They basically forfeited the tournament. CONCACAF is likely going to drop the hammer on them with fines and future tournament bans. The French Guiana federation pretty much committed suicide. The real winner in all of this is Honduras, who see an embarrassing scoreless draw turned into a 3-0 win. 

I'm the last person to yell "CONCACAF sucks", but not disqualifying French Guiana from the tournament after they had clarified the application of FIFA rules would make them appear TNA-levels of bushleague. 

French Guiana had the game forfeited, Malouda banned, and will get run off the field by Costa Rica tonight and sent home. And CONCACAF is TNA levels of bush league, and does suck.

If you are looking for the US game on Saturday - it will be on FXX

If you tune into Fox’s national network Saturday looking for the U.S. Gold Cup match, you’ll instead find boxing. Flip over to Fox’s primary sports platform, FS1, and you’ll get a Rangers-Royals baseball game.

The secondary sports channel, FS2? An obscure auto-racing circuit (on tape). FX, an entertainment outlet, will carry “Star Trek Into Darkness.” (86 percent on Rotten Tomatoes!)

To find the Americans’ match against Nicaragua in the Group B finale, starting at 7 p.m. from Cleveland’s FirstEnergy Stadium, you’ll have to locate FXX, which is part of the family of Fox channels in cable or satellite packages. (FXX does have a soccer history; until September 2013, it was Fox Soccer.)

What appears to be a broadcast snub — Fox is kicking the U.S. match into channel oblivion? Outrageous! — is actually a better setup than appearing on FS2 and almost as good as FS1. FXX is available in about 80 million homes, FS1 around 85 million and FS2 approximately 50 million.

The challenge for Fox is making viewers aware of a soccer game on a non-traditional soccer — and sports — channel. And the challenge for U.S. supporters is finding FXX.

What's funny is that I feel like most US soccer fans will have watched at least some of the Simpsons marathon so they know quite well where FXX is

• Like 1

Linfield fans are trogolodyte scum who are an embarrassment to humanity but you already knew that. I hope they enjoyed their loss today and also hope the Bhoys put 10 past them at Celtic Park. 

Ibra is coming to MLS, apparently. Even with his knee being fucked, I still think this signing is awesome because old man Ibra was banging them in in the Prem last season. He'll find space in the box. Hopefully not against the Sounders, but I'll enjoy watching it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dewar said:

French Guiana had the game forfeited, Malouda banned, and will get run off the field by Costa Rica tonight and sent home. And CONCACAF is TNA levels of bush league, and does suck.

If CONCACAF wasn't a complete joke they would've been kicked out of the tourney, fined a large sum, forfeited their appearance fee and been banned from at least the next tournament. They literally showed as much contempt for the federation as you can possibly show. If they don't get as close to a death penalty as CONCACAF has the ability to hand out than the federation has zero credibility. Hell they could just cancel the game vs Costa Rica and offer refunds to anyone who was going to see that game. All the people who bought tickets are Hondurans so refunds would be minimal.

2 hours ago, Roman said:

... the fuck was wrong with that referee? A yellow card?

That referee should never be allowed to officiate a European match ever again. Hell I don't think he should ever be allowed to officiate any match ever again. UEFA should rescind that yellow and issue an apology to Celtic.

Miazga scores in the 88th minute to give us the 3-0 win over Nicaragua we needed to win the group. We were spared the most Metro moment in the history of the USMNT because we missed TWO penalties in the second half (Dwyer and Corona respectively).

• Like 1

And not for nothing but would it have killed the Galaxy to start some actual pros instead of kids so it might be slightly competitive? Horrible people are going to see the scoreline and go "MLS sux and iznt reel fottball lolz!1!". This does the league no favors.

If anything, I'd argue that MLS gains more credibility by the Galaxy treating the game as the exhibition that it is rather than running out their starters for a friendly in the middle of their season just because it's against a big European side.