DVDVR Message Board

SDL - 6/20/2017 - Money in Abeyance

Dolfan in NYC

Congrats to Daniel Bryan for making the absolute worst decision possible by stripping Carmella for doing nothing wrong. 

At least we got to see Nakamura almost literally kick Ziggler's face off.  Plus Chad Gable and Luke Harper are still alive. So those are pluses. 

For all the talk about how bad the finish at Money in the Bank was the decision tonight is even worse.  Carmella came out and cut a damn good promo. I've been a fan of her mic work for a while and she shined again tonight.  She brought up a lot of valid points.  Bryan accepted those points as valid.  So what does he do? He strips Carmella of the briefcase and now we're having a redo. What? Ellsworth's line on Bryan was pretty funny though. 

But yeah this booking sucked.  It was just Bryan doing shit because the others were complaining.  It made no sense. 

Carmella did a great job in her promo to start the show. So much so that I'm hoping they just have her win again next week unless they have some other big angle planned.

They needed something for ratings and turned to the Women's Division on Smackdown. It speaks pretty highly of what they think of it.

Nakamura vs Ziggler was way better than their PPV match.

I liked Orton going crazy at the end of the show and the Singh Brothers bumping like crazy.

Not really sure what to think about Chad Gable coming back like that. They'll probably do it again next week with Jason Jordan vs. Kevin Owens but then what?

Harper vs Jinder wasn't that bad all things considered. Corbin looks like a doofus with the case.

Congrats to WWE for rectifying their shitty booking in the first place.

Part of me dies inside watching Luke Harper job to Jinder Mahal. Aside from his background and the India tour and WWE trying to make their mark in India, and the physique Vince gets a boner for; what exactly does Jinder bring to the table? He's not exactly exciting in the ring. He does the same anti America schtick every foreign heel does. He's like if Dino Bravo had a championship run in 1989. What am I missing here?

No Mrs. and Mr. Kanellis? Boo.

Corbin kinda looks like a doofus with or without the briefcase. It's the thinning yet long hair...and I like Baron Corbin.

• Like 2

Carmella's opening promo really overdelivered.  Citing precedent and continuity doesn't happen that often in WWE and this was well done.  I'm fine with the MITB ruling as Bryan is really in a damned if he does and damned if he doesn't situation but it would have made a lot more sense and cut out a lot of negative publicity had they just done this last night and restarted the match.

Ziggler/Nak was a solid outing.

Gable/Owens was also good and Gable came off as a legit threat, but AA really need to be back as a team.  Is Jordan injured or something?  Also, if Gable is going to start wrestling on his own he'd best learn from Gargano and Enzo and watch his back as friendships are not long for the world in today's WWE.

Main event was good for what it was.

No sign of the Kanelli?

1 minute ago, HumanChessgame said:

Carmella's opening promo really overdelivered.  Citing precedent and continuity doesn't happen that often in WWE and this was well done.  I'm fine with the MITB ruling as Bryan is really in a damned if he does and damned if he doesn't situation but it would have made a lot more sense and cut out a lot of negative publicity had they just done this last night and restarted the match.

They're doing it this way because Smackdown's ratings have been poor the last few weeks.

Judging by the reaction to Carmella, the negative reaction was good heat. It actually got her over. I think if they have her win again, it could really solidify her.  Or they just let Becky finally get her big win and people pat themselves on the back for being part of history and whatnot.

Carmella had a point in that it is No DQ, but she falls into a slippery slope because if NO DQ means no standards then Money in the Bank could be a glorified Hardcore Rules stipulation match in which anyone could walk down that ring or from the crowd and take that briefcase. Just because no one has done it yet doesn't mean anything until someone does it, but what if someone took the case for themselves? Even the Constitution says that just because it is not an amendment does not mean it is not a law. There has to be standards or my ass would climb over the stand, push Alexa Bliss off, and hand that title to Nia Jax in a minute just because Ellsworth did the same. So yeah. This set a precedent that Money in the Bank means that only the contestants in the match can win it.

I love how Daniel says to not put his emotions into it and then immediately precedes to get emotional about it. 

Carmella's promo was great, but you all are sleeping on Becky's heartbroken babyface promo because it was in character. For the longest, Becky has had this knight in sour armor thing going on since Alexa won the title off of her complaining about cheating. She does not feel uplifted in Smackdown and for once I felt legitimately bad for her in a way I used to feel for Bayley and how I feel for Sami. Becky did great and I had sympathy for her because I understood where she was coming from.

Chad Gable is Kurt Angle. He moves like him. He has that same awkward charisma. I am glad that they finally decided to showcase Gable. Kurt should just ta;lk to this kid and let him have the Angle Slam because he is little Angle.

Shinsuke andZiggler was fun. Did not top Roman and Joe, but hey it was fun.

Okay show, I guess.

• Like 1

Glad to see AA again. Gable vs. Owens was nice. Hope get Jordan vs. Owens

Nakamura vs. Ziggler was good and much better than their ppv match which I didn't even dislike.

Carmella's promo did a great job of putting the focus on her and getting her heat. Becky's promo backstage was great as well. Honestly, I like a lot of what they did building to the actual decision. The decision itself I'm somewhat mixed on. I do think a rematch was the way to go though I think they should have managed it in a way where Carmella got talked into defending it. They also could have made it a case where Ellsworth's big mouth got Carmella in trouble. I'm guessing this rematch and angle was the plan in the first place, but I still can't help but feel they should have just gone with a non-fuck finish for a historic moment. I just don't think WWE has enough good will currently  for this type of stuff to get the crowd charged in a way that suits the story and not just pissing them off to the point where they say fuck WWE. Still, I did love the focus on the women this episode. Kind of surprised they didn't end the show with the big segment.

Where the hell were the Fashion Police?

42 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

Carmella had a point in that it is No DQ, but she falls into a slippery slope because if NO DQ means no standards then Money in the Bank could be a glorified Hardcore Rules stipulation match in which anyone could walk down that ring

But that HAS happened. Rhyno "won" the tag team titles for Edge and Christian. Listen, I didn't like the booking either but all of this crap has happened in a similar fashion before. That doesn't mean it should happen again but Carmella was right in her promo and Bryan was wrong in that he made this decision based nothing.

21 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

But that HAS happened. Rhyno "won" the tag team titles for Edge and Christian. Listen, I didn't like the booking either but all of this crap has happened in a similar fashion before. That doesn't mean it should happen again but Carmella was right in her promo and Bryan was wrong in that he made this decision based nothing.

Rhyno didn't unhook the belts and hand them to E & C. He climbed the ladder with Christian on his shoulders. Christian had possession of the belts. Besides, that match also had interference from Spike Dudley and Lita. I get what you're saying, but I still felt like nitpicking. 

2 hours ago, Charlie M. said:

Harper vs Jinder wasn't that bad all things considered. Corbin looks like a doofus with the case.

Funny note.. I was at the show and after Corbin did his little deal around the ring and was heading back up the ramp he actually went backstage too soon, leading the camera guy on the ramp to whistle LOUDLY twice so Corbin could come back out and pose with the briefcase.

Other note... Mike and Maria Kanellis came out and cut a 2-minute promo in the middle of Smackdown similar to their PPV one but I guess it didn't air on television?

Edit: Just saw the online video tonight with Mike and Maria. So I guess they recorded it for the web only.

23 minutes ago, Peck said:

Funny note.. I was at the show and after Corbin did his little deal around the ring and was heading back up the ramp he actually went backstage too soon, leading the camera guy on the ramp to whistle LOUDLY twice so Corbin could come back out and pose with the briefcase.

Other note... Mike and Maria Kanellis came out and cut a 2-minute promo in the middle of Smackdown similar to their PPV one but I guess it didn't air on television?

It didn't air.

18 minutes ago, Peck said:

They worked the pre-show dark match, teaming with Dillinger to beat Aiden English and The Colons.

That shouldn't deny us Fashion Files/Vice/etc.

EDIT: Oh and Carmella was great again on Talking Smack. I really don't want her to win the belt, but she would be great holding the case for a while.