DVDVR Message Board

SDL - 6/20/2017 - Money in Abeyance

Dolfan in NYC

I was kinda amused that Shane was nowhere to be seen last night.  So.... he shows up to announce matches and deliver good news, does his little dance, and is nowhere to be seen when things go to shit.  Clearly, he's a much better GM than I thought.

Carmella's opening promo was strong.  And her money print tights are outstanding.  Still don't want to see her with the belt.

After last night's segment, i actually think Ellsworth-Daniel Bryan could be a money feud.  You could work a squash match where Bryan didn't even really have to bump, but WWE surely doesn't want to open that door and weaken their case for keeping him out of the ring.

Not a big fan of Dolph's anymore, but he certainly knows how to put a move over by practically dying.

I'm not really a fan of how they settled it, as it came across as Bryan changing the rules just because people complained to him. I would have met everyone halfway (short fantasy booking) and forced Carmella to put up the briefcase in a 1 vs. 1 match against the winner of a Fatal Fourway between the other four in the match. It still would have changed the rules but at least Carmella wouldn't have been completely punished, it would have been a compromise of sorts. I mean New Day should have tried to get the tag belts too while they were at it, since Bryan was just making up things.

I also enjoyed Carmella's promo. She had good points and Daniel stripping her of the case made all of the other women look like sore losers. Still looking forward to the match next week. Carmella does smug well. 

Tamina got a bit lost during the women's promo. Charlotte cut Nattie off and said something like if she didn't shut up, she (Charlotte) was going to make Nattie look like Ellsworth. Then it's Tamina's turn to interrupt and she goes, "umm, I'll make you look like Ellsworth."

The decision was infuriating.  I was actually cool with Carmella winning because in a just world it would put a lot of heat on her.  Well good on Dayton for raining down the boos and it got people talking.  As for redoing the match I have an almost irrational hatred for redoing some kind of special moment, once it's done it's done.  With them doing MITB again it tries to redo this historic match but ends up making the whole thing pointless.  Shit's been done, do something else to make it right.  I would have had a regular 5-way for the briefcase or Becky vs. Carmella since Becky would have had it if not for Ellsworth.  Or, if Carmella's the "weaker" of the five why not just let her cash in and win it?  That way whoever's next can destroy her for what she did and all would be well.  To me both of those seem much more fair than what we got.

On a lighter note it was fantastic seeing Daniel back on Talkin' Smack.  I never thought I'd hear him and AJ on a WWE show talk about parenting and diapers, but we got it.  And it was great, all of it.  Bonus points for New Day hugging him yet ragging on poor Renee for her question.

Last I checked, Carmella is a heel.  Just because she didn't "cheat" according to the letter of the law doesn't mean she's suddenly a babyface for doing it.  She's still a jerk for doing it and deserves comeuppance just for being a smartass about it.  Come on, people.

I'd be more annoyed about them doing ANOTHER ladder match on TV for no reason and once again negating the PPV, but I didn't see the PPV and I'm going to SmackDown next week, so... *shrug*

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is calling her a babyface, just pointing out that it is pretty shitty she had the briefcase taken away for cheating, when all kinds of decisions don't get overturned because of cheating.

We are all glossing over the fact that Bryan is not doing a very good job as the GM. How do you let your biggest ticket seller walk as a free agent? Especially when he is your brother-in-law. No tag title match for the Hype Bros, despite winning a match with a stipulation stating the winner gets a title shot?

• Like 2

I thought the easy, way more fun decision would be "We can't strip Carmella of the case because the referees decisions in WWE are final and we don't have the instant replay rule HOWEVER we're going to run a MITB match next week for another MITB briefcase".  Then you can have Carmella lobby to in the match to make history as the first to ever hold two MITB briefcases.  Then you have lots of fun booking opportunities: Carmella wins again holds 2 briefcases (Could even cash it in, lose, then cash in again); a face wins it so that every time Carmella comes down to cash it in, they come down to with their case, threatening to cash in after her match or turn it into a 3-way; you could have a heel win it and have them bicker with Carmella over who's really Ms Money In the Bank leading to a briefcase unification match.  It just opens up so many fun possibilities.

I loved the main event segment.  Thought the match was solid, liked Corbin's theatened cash-in (Which worked as a surprise moment since he hadn't been around the rest of the night) and Orton's post-match sneak attack.  I'd like to see Mahal confront Harper next week and tell him he was an honourable competitor unlike others he's faced (Orton for sneak-attacks, Corbin for threatening to sneak-attack, Mojo for using Gronk) and ask him to be his royal bodyguard which leads to Harper, obviously in a turban, jeans and dirty tanktop, becoming Mahal's back-up for a few months, only for him to turn on Mahal later.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Tamina got a bit lost during the women's promo. Charlotte cut Nattie off and said something like if she didn't shut up, she (Charlotte) was going to make Nattie look like Ellsworth. Then it's Tamina's turn to interrupt and she goes, "umm, I'll make you look like Ellsworth."

At least Tamina refrained and didn't say she'll make Nattie look like Nancy Argentino.

• Like 1

I think this all could've been cured by instead of just dumping Becky, Ellsworth should've climbed up to stop Becky, have Becky suplex him off taking her and Ellsworth out, leaving only Carmella to climb up and win. Same controversy, less bad optics. Plus we get Becky wasting Ellsworth again.

we better get a Becky v. Ellsworth match at Summerslam.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Dewar said:

I don't think anyone is calling her a babyface, just pointing out that it is pretty shitty she had the briefcase taken away for cheating, when all kinds of decisions don't get overturned because of cheating.

We are all glossing over the fact that Bryan is not doing a very good job as the GM. How do you let your biggest ticket seller walk as a free agent? Especially when he is your brother-in-law. No tag title match for the Hype Bros, despite winning a match with a stipulation stating the winner gets a title shot?

This is exactly why the Miz going to Raw was such an unbelievably stupid decision.  Having the Miz constantly calling out Bryan's hypocrisy forces him to improve as a manager.  But with Renee just sitting there laughing at everything he says... you know, it just isn't all that interesting.  

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm not really a fan of how they settled it, as it came across as Bryan changing the rules just because people complained to him. I would have met everyone halfway (short fantasy booking) and forced Carmella to put up the briefcase in a 1 vs. 1 match against the winner of a Fatal Fourway between the other four in the match. It still would have changed the rules but at least Carmella wouldn't have been completely punished, it would have been a compromise of sorts. I mean New Day should have tried to get the tag belts too while they were at it, since Bryan was just making up things.

That would have been a shitty compromise that would not have satisfied most of the audience. We can all complain here as much as we want, but I suspect most would rather see another MITB going off w/o a hitch. This angle was likely done to put even more focus on the SDL women as a whole. Your compromise would have lessened that.

Also Bryan isn't just making shit up. He had a point about no one ever being handed the belt or briefcase. Carmella and Ellsworth tried to take advantage of what is essentially an unwritten rule not being a official yet.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Even worse was Bryan denying the Hype Bros their title shot because "a lot of time has passed"

That was bullshit.

People blaming any GM for any of these personnel moves is ludicrous, given that they can't even write a story in which they actually explain why any of these things are happening.

For all I know, it could have just been the owner of the company saying "because I said so". It makes as much sense as any other explanation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eivion said:

That would have been a shitty compromise that would not have satisfied most of the audience. We can all complain here as much as we want, but I suspect most would rather see another MITB going off w/o a hitch. This angle was likely done to put even more focus on the SDL women as a whole. Your compromise would have lessened that.

Also Bryan isn't just making shit up. He had a point about no one ever being handed the belt or briefcase. Carmella and Ellsworth tried to take advantage of what is essentially an unwritten rule not being a official yet.

That was bullshit.

Wasn't a big part of Wrestlemania IV over Andre winning the title and giving it to The Million Dollar Man?

Talking Smack Quickie Review

- Renee and Daniel Bryan this week... thank God

- Hey! Did you know that Daniel Bryan was a new dad? You didn't? Well they will sure let you know

- Carmella and Ellsworth are out first. Carmella is icing her shoulder which is a nice touch

- Lots of yelling about the rules and Bryan asks Carmella to cite any other rule in the WWE rulebook. Carmella starts crying because of course she does and Bryan and Renee starting corpsing because Carmella says Bryan should strip his daughter.

- Bryan bans Ellsworth (see the video posted earlier) and then they storm off

- Renee high fives Bryan for making Carmella cry and Bryan points out that she was fake crying

- Renee tries to defend Carmella saying that she will feel better if she wins it on her own and then says Bryan was too hard on her because sure why not

- Talk moves to Naomi/Lana. Sticking with the WWE talking points - Bryan tries to claim that Lana "almost won her first high profile singles match".

- Bryan randomly throws out that Naomi has quit drinking alcohol.

- New Day to the set with the skeleton with the Uso shirt. I think Big E calls him "Jahemin" but there is no way I got that right

- Woods brings up the rule about how you are only allowed one save and then if you do it again it is a DQ. Renee and Bryan point out that the match on Sunday had multiple saves which New Day disagrees with. Bryan then phrases it as "I have seen plenty of matches with multiple saves and the refs haven't been enforcing that rule". It is then equating to holding in the NFL.

- New Day jokes that they believe it is in everyone's contract that when you come back from injury you should get a title shot and that the Hype Bros deserve one also because "Zack is very tan"

- More props (An actual target for target on the back)

- Big E "DB LOVES THE MEAT~!"

- Usos tried to stage a prison break from their own penitentiary

- We learn that Producer "Evan" doesn't allow Bryan to put his giant bottle of water on the table

- Renee asks for the New Day's game plan and the whole set mocks her for asking. (It was amusing as Bryan joined in late in laugh as clearly a bit to be like the uncool kid joining in to be popular)

- Renee is told to get rid of New Day. They ask to hug DB on the way out. Bryan rightly asks E "On a scale of 1-10 - how sweaty are you right now?" E responds "I'm always sweaty"

- E swipes a mug on the way out and we have officially lost control. Bryan is happy that everyone wants to see him and instead they are making fun of Renee

- AJ Styles is next. He immediately points out that Chad Gable is a better liar than he is.

- AJ thinks KO is making a mockery of the open challenge "which is special to the US Title". AJ says when he wins the title he will treat the open challenge seriously to all top contenders (This would be great if they actually make the open challenge a part of the US Title but that is a different matter)

- They talk about AJ's bump when dangling from the ladder. Renee says she was terrified and AJ is basically "Eh... it is what it is" (AJ also notes that he had already watched the match back when Bryan asks him if that is the first time he saw the fall)

- AJ talks about the "moment" with Shinsuke Nakamura. Bryan asks him if that might make him shift his focus away from US title. AJ says why can't it be both. Basically either he or Shinsuke can win the title and then they can wrestle each other.

- DB asks AJ if he thinks KO is better than him (meaning AJ). AJ says no but he doesn't think anyone is better than him. He flips the question on DB and DB says yes which AJ pounces on "YOU DOUBTED YOURSELF!". DB says he when he was younger he got in the ring with Yuji Nagata and he knew Nagata was better than him. He also cites Jushin Liger.

- AJ seems to agree with the point but then asks the question from the perspective of "When you reach this level" (meaning the WWE). AJ says he doesn't think there is a man who can beat him. He notes that obviously he is lost but he says he has the mentality that he is always the best in the ring.

- Styles wants the US title to represent the country he is from. He notes that this is the only way he can represent his country "I didn't go to the Olympics like Chad Gable"

- There is a weird moment when it is clear Bryan was going to make a Hulk Hogan reference but then stops and is all like "Yeah - I thought better about that"

- DB brings up AJ is a flat earther and AJ immediately asks about DB's daughter to change the subject. 

- The rest of the show is Baby talk. The least shocking news - DB and Brie use cloth diapers. AJ and DB are gonna start a Network show called WWE Dads.

Pretty much the only thing you missed was the two minutes of AJ and DB. The rest is a hard pass.

• Like 2

What Worked

- DB talking about Yuji Nagata and Jushin Liger

- DB asking E how sweaty he was

- Learning about DB's secret water

What Didn't Work

- Everything else

• Like 4