DVDVR Message Board

Raw is the Powah of Tozawa - 6/19/2017

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Brysynner said:

Here's the question for Stroman. Is he over because of himself or is he over because he's currently the rival to Roman Reigns? That's the question I think WWE will be asking themselves in September assuming SummerSlam is the end of the Roman/Braun feud

Strowman has improved a lot and got near-perfect booking prior to working with Reigns.  But don't underestimate what working with Roman has done for Braun. That Reigns sell job at Payback was incredible and Strowman couldn't have asked for more.

I think that once their feud is over, Strowman probably cools off a bit.  Reigns brings enough heat for both him and any opponent. Braun won't be so fortunate after that.  He'll probably wind up with Big Cass, which by the way. . .

OOF! Was that segment bad.  If not for Corey Graves doing good work and Enzo with the tears, that would have been a straight-up F. Breaking up Enzo & Cass is not smart on any level, at least they were bringing in major merchandise money.  Enzo can't work and frankly, Cass isn't much better. It's a case of two guys needing each other to survive. Not to mention who is Cass going to leapfrog to get into the upper mid-card/main event scene?  I can easily see Enzo getting released in a few months with Cass stuck in catering, taking up the spots Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas formerly occupied. Or worse, they put the duo back together to zero response.

Someone on social media wondered if the women had staged a boycott in light of the MITB mess.  Considering that segment tonight?  They should have. OOF and DOUBLE OOF!

34 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Has there been any point in WWE history that has been this heel heavy?  Seems like there's been more heel turns lately and fewer and fewer over faces.

I think it's hard to have actual faces because the way to be a face is to either be the foil to the company's "chosen one" (Strowman's current path), be an indy darling who is overlooked because of the company is focused on their "chosen one" (Joe/Ambrose/Lynch), be super talented, charismatic, and not be on RAW (Styles/Nakamura).

• Like 1

So I just watched the last segment of RAW and just a little thing that I found interesting when Big Show left the ring he dropped down and slide under the bottom rope but when Big Cass left the ring he stepped over the top rope. I know there's almost no chance WWE thought about some little detail like that but it does highlight the difference between Show and Cass when they're eventually going to fight.

Man, I LOVED this show.

-Bo Dallas looked great tonight against Finn, so I'm excited to see him and Axel become Miz's back-up.  Miz has been so good the last year or so, they should really be using him to get over all manner of failed projects they have kicking around.  You could put Miz in charge of the Cruiserweight division, and people would be popping huge for the cruiserweights.  He's basically the King Midas of WWE right now.  They need to end the Dean Ambrose feud, though, because Dean doesn't need him.   I do think, however, that a program with Miz would do wonders for Finn Balor and/or Seth Rollins, though.

-I really hope these Goldust vignettes lead to him being given something to do after beating Truth.  I think Goldust could still have some really fun feuds with some of the guys on Raw like Balor etc.

-I keep waiting for them to actually do something with Finn Balor.  I've enjoyed Elias Samson's run on Raw so far, but a feud between him and Balor is silliness because neither can really afford the loss right now.  They're literally doing nothing with Gallows and Anderson, I don't know why they don't team them up with Balor, or even run a feud with them trying to bring Balor back into the fold and him refusing.

-Joe-Reigns was all kinds of fun but I was hoping it was going to just be a precursor to the return of Strowman and it was.  I actually think "I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU" should replace the "ROOOOAR" in the intro of his theme song.  I'm surprised how many people on here were surprised this wasn't ending the show, WWE has been doing this at least since WM, putting the main event at the end of the second hour, then ending the show on a mid-card feud/tag match/women's match.

-I thought the women's match was pretty good for what it was, an unnatural way to drag out Alexa's title reign so you can do Bliss-Boss or Bliss-Bayley at Summerslam.  Lots of fun moving parts with Emma accidentally hitting Jax, then teaming up with her and then the big return of Bayley seems to be hinting at a more serious wrestling Bayley.  My guess is they do a 4 on 3 tag match for GBoF that will set up the Summerslam feuds (My guess is Bliss-Banks and Bayley-Jax).

-I also really liked the main event.  I thought Cass' promo was solid, especially for a guy who hasn't really been doing any sort of heavy lifting promo-wise for the last 3-4 years.  I'd like to see him become part of the Titus Brand because I don't think he's ready to be on his own in the upper-card and there's really no room for him with Reigns/Joe/Lesnar/Strowman likely at the top of the card for the next 3-4 months, and with Wyatt, Reigns, Ambrose, and Balor all waiting in the wings.

• Like 1

I'm not a huge Enzo/Cass fan but feels too soon to split them already to me, with not even two years on the main roster. Was hoping there would be some unexpected twist reveal. Don't get why Cass went through all that instead of just beating him up if that's how he felt, like why fake himself being attacked and all that.

Reigns line about nobody can beat him one on one was amusing when he listed off names of all guys who have beaten him in singles matches. Good response from Joe and a real great match between them. Liked Joe using the swinging uranage that he beat Reigns with last time, hoped he would keep that as a secondary finisher. Joe getting the ropes after the Spear was a good near fall.

Braun's "I'll see you... at Great Balls of Fire Pay Per View!" was hysterical and really highlighted the awkwardness of the PPV name, and it's even moreso when they constantly add pay per view to the end of it. Nice pop for his return.

Hoped when Emma chased Alexa into the ring that they were all 3 gonna turn and attack Sasha together, which is kind of sort of almost what ended up happening before it devolved into the typical cluster segment. Also hoped bayley would be out of the picture for at least a little while.

That 2k commercial was rather bizarre but enjoyed Rollins' segment more than usual tonight. That one dive busted open both him and Bray.

Kurt Angle is the most inept general manager in the WWE and considering Shane and Daniel Bryan are in the same company that is saying a lot.

Roman declares himself number one contender. Mr. "We settle things in the ring" apparently is fine with that. I liked how the Scooby mystery of who's been attacking Enzo seemed like it was a much bigger priority than anything else for him. Though, the poor guy spent a decade in TNA so no one would make sound judgements after that.

You have to feel bad for the women, but I almost feel like them being thrown on so late in the show was sort of like a reaction to the backlash to what happened at MITB last night. First there's no clear direction for them and now its like "oh yeah, might as well have you go do something...make it quick though". Dana would be perfectly fine as the strong woman of the division, but Nia still continues to be so damn out of place.

Ah well, at least BRAUN is back. I mean they cant possibly screw that up.

21 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Reigns line about nobody can beat him one on one was amusing when he listed off names of all guys who have beaten him in singles matches. Good response from Joe and a real great match between them. Liked Joe using the swinging uranage that he beat Reigns with last time, hoped he would keep that as a secondary finisher. Joe getting the ropes after the Spear was a good near fall.

Thing is, Roman currently has the final word on Rollins, Balor, Wyatt, even Braun.  He's beaten the first three 1-on-1 recently and he was the kayfabe reason Braun missed time.  Only Joe can claim Reigns hasn't ever beaten him.  Those two wins came off Braun's presence, but the overall arc still stands. Roman's arrogant as can be, but he's being truthful based on what's happened as of late.

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

Has there been any point in WWE history that has been this heel heavy?  Seems like there's been more heel turns lately and fewer and fewer over faces.

Every month Stephanie was the on air person in charge of the show.

Oh, you mean total heels? How about the days of faction warfare? DOA, Los Boriquas, NOD, and so on.

17 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Thing is, Roman currently has the final word on Rollins, Balor, Wyatt, even Braun.  He's beaten the first three 1-on-1 recently and he was the kayfabe reason Braun missed time.  Only Joe can claim Reigns hasn't ever beaten him.  Those two wins came off Braun's presence, but the overall arc still stands. Roman's arrogant as can be, but he's being truthful based on what's happened as of late.

I really hope this is something they have noticed, but I doubt it.  Part of what made the Punk/Cena feud so great is that Cena could never beat him and Cena beat everyone.  There had to have been a two-year period where Punk won (or didn't get pinned) in some fashion every time.  And then Cena ended it in that RAW piledriver match, and that was that.  But they could keep Joe/Reigns on the backburner for as long as they want with that in mind.  

13 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I really hope this is something they have noticed, but I doubt it.  Part of what made the Punk/Cena feud so great is that Cena could never beat him and Cena beat everyone.  There had to have been a two-year period where Punk won (or didn't get pinned) in some fashion every time.  And then Cena ended it in that RAW piledriver match, and that was that.  But they could keep Joe/Reigns on the backburner for as long as they want with that in mind.  

So eventually we get heel champion Reigns defending against babyface Joe at Mania New Orleans?

3 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

More likely "face" Roman defeating "heel" Joe at Elimination Chamber or whatever the hell the pre-WM PPV is these days.

Pretty sure Roman's officially a heel now. They can do the big babyface turn at Mania 35 when he breaks Punk's record as longest reigning Champion in modern WWE history.

• Like 1

I feel like they would have been better with Enzo going heel and playing to his strength as a mouth piece where he can talk shit and hide behind appearing selectively in tags or six mans.  As a babyface, I don't know, maybe a counter to the Titus Brand?

3 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

Samoa Joe is too awesome to let silly wrestling morality define him.

tumblr_oo3zjxA6Gn1rkbzf7o1_1280.png

I mean come on?

Well, from what I recall, he is right.

• Like 2