DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 112: Chiesa vs. Lee (6/25/2017) - Oklahoma City, OK (Chesapeake Energy Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

41 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I don't imagine Lee is losing a win

It's going to overturned unless Oklahoma is as inept as their bordering state Texas, which is always possible.

I don't think he is losing any sleep over it nor do I think UFC is going to hold it against him. No one is saying it wasn't a bad call, but it wasn't him breaking the rules or anything over the top, he was just incorrect in thinking Cheisa had gone completely out.

Dana snapped on Yamasaki as any promoter (incorrectly or correctly) would have. Lee deserves the win, but you know what would have been better? If Mario Yamasaki wasn't incompetent. But yes, it was him breaking the rules. There was no verbal tapout or physical tapout from Michael Chiesa. It's not a judgment call. So yeah, it was over the top because he didn't check whether or not Chiesa was out. He can do that. He is the referee and that's part of the protocol and well within in the rules. 

he just jumped the gun.

"Just jumped the gun" doesn't make it any less horrendous. If the UFC made the decision to never let him officiate another UFC bout just like they did Maz a few years back, I wouldn't shocked in the slightest. His job is to wait for certain things to happen. Was Michael Chiesa going to be damaged anymore if Yamasaki waited 5-10 seconds at most to see what would've happened? 

I watched people go to sleep, that's a fighter going to sleep or already asleep. He went from trying to get out of it to doing the stiff arms thing that is never ideal. I agree with you it was a bit early, it clearly was. 

Yes, thus it is a horrible stop. The "Well, so so and so so happened and you got this over here so you can see both sides" is irrelevant. Nobody (at least any good referee) officiates in that manner where they go outside the rules to do something where their judgment should outweighs the rules. When they do...it's because clearly they don't know the rules. We've seen this happened on the shows in New York a few times now. You have to officiate inside the ruleset, or you get chaos like this. You would think Mario Yamasaki, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt who has refereed high level MMA for over a decade, would...you know...know the rules. The purpose of a submission is having a fighter submit. Michael Chiesa did not submit. He conceded a choke. That's not submitting unless we're retroactively adding losses to the records of Jon Fitch and Benson Henderson. Mario Yamasaki didn't check to see if Chiesa was actually out nor made an attempt to see, which would have been good as a physical or verbal tap. But he was not out. So he did not submit at any point. I can't make this any simpler unless we need a complete refresher on how mixed martial arts/NHB works like it's 2001.

1 minute ago, twiztor said:

the fight.

Yamasaki should've stopped the fight the second that Lee even attempted a choke. we don't want people getting hurt or anything, do we?

ok, just adding levity.

Little bit late on the levity side.

Also, Chiesa's trainer Rick Little did it first and with all the sarcasm.

• Like 1

For a fan (ie not a coach or family friend), you just seem irrationally angry about a bad referee stoppage, what happened in the Chandler match was a worse referee 'not knowing the rules' mistake. So either you already hated Mario and enjoy railing against him, which is understandable, or you just want something to be angry about. People in this forum knows the rules just fine, just no one else is as angry as you are about a match being stopped a few seconds early since early stoppages happen on a regular basis in MMA. Its not a competition, where level of angry = how big of a MMA fan you are.

I think all of us are in agreement it was a bad call, I guess its the outrage from it that differs.

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

That wasn't the only ending it sounds like Big John didn't completely agree with. I didn't notice watching live, thank God.

Someone would complain if they stopped the fight too early.  If the referee sees a turtle's head leaving it's shell, I don't think he should wait for a tap.

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

you just seem irrationally angry about a bad referee stoppage

Context clues.

what happened in the Chandler match was a worse referee 'not knowing the rules' mistake

It's not about which one was worse. I don't give a shit if there was 150 bad stoppages this weekend. Both were terrible. One because clearly this motherfucker didn't know any non illegal blow that causes a referee stoppage is a TKO win and there is no timeouts any thing that's not a malfunction or illegal. The other motherfucker didn't know someone had to tap out before you end a bout.

People in this forum knows the rules just fine

You asked if that was the rule and I had to explain yes that is indeed the rule. So apparently, people don't know the rules just like Yamasaki.

12 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Kish got out of a super tight RNC earlier. 

I thought that the reason that Kish escaped that choke was... well.... you know.....

Mario "If He Dies, He Dies" Yamazaki is embroiled in controversy yet again.  Surprise, surprise.

22 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I thought that the reason that Kish escaped that choke was... well.... you know.....

The level of physical exertion she was putting forth makes me not surprised what happened unfortunately happened. Cruz kept saying it on commentary she just kept powering out of stuff with very little technique. So yeah, probably going to have a BM.

34 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Mario "If He Dies, He Dies" Yamazaki is embroiled in controversy yet again.  Surprise, surprise.

No.

re : The frustration about the main event finish makes sense when you factor in that the result can be justifiably over-turned ( as has been re-iterated again and again...). We complain about punches and early/late stoppages but Yamazaki's blunder was in a situation where it's so easy to get an objective decision by just letting the action play out - there was absolutely no reason to get involved and stop the fight early. Also, I'm really late here because Sunday shows suck and I can never get around to watching them until later in the week.

Also, Penn-Siver seemed like it would have fit better on the Bellator show than in 2017 UFC.

• Like 2

Penn would be a better fit in Bellator at this point. Any notable featherweight and lightweight I can think of in the UFC is going to beat him up pretty badly. Bellator has some lower tier, middle of the road fighters he can have some success against. It's going to look pathetic, but he has a better chance of winning.