DVDVR Message Board

Bellator 180: Sonnen vs. Silva (6/24/2017) - New York, New York (Madison Square Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

For an organization that prides itself on the freak show entertainment part of MMA, you would think Coker would have been smarter to book Pico against a bigger tomato can.   Unless they actually thought he was one which seems stupid give he was 8-2 or something like that.

From reading twitter this seems to personify this night so far.   And we haven't even gotten to the freak show fights yet.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Don't sometimes they have the doctor check a cut even by legal means if they fear it is obscuring vision? I mean clearly this wasn't that and was a bad call. Not sure how referees don't know the rules.

Varying degrees and in fighting, a lot of cuts don't really qualify as an injury. If it's a really bad cut or the cut is bleeding profusely enough to the point where the fighter is compromised or you believe the fighter compromised enough to adversely affect him or her, then the fight should be waved off.

You do get a Haye vs. Bellew thing where David Haye clearly blew out his knee badly and he survived on guts for a few more rounds until he just couldn't stand up anymore. Even then, the right call should have been to stop it in between rounds. I really enjoyed that fight, but part of that was David Haye operating with one leg. No way in hell should a fighter with that severe of an injury continue competing. That was madness.

Just now, TheVileOne said:

New York's commission is a total complete and utter fucking shit show.

Yes...yes, it is. And they have another major show next month.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, hammerva said:

For an organization that prides itself on the freak show entertainment part of MMA, you would think Coker would have been smarter to book Pico against a bigger tomato can.   Unless they actually thought he was one which seems stupid give he was 8-2 or something like that.

From reading twitter this seems to personify this night so far.   And we haven't even gotten to the freak show fights yet.

They did a better job matching up Heather Hardy, who doesn't have half the credentials of Pico

They put so much on a kid who has never been a cage as a professional before. I didn't like all these media folks comparing him to people who are already hall of famers and legends. I know people aren't used to athletes with long, impressive resumes being in MMA, but they could at least...you know..waited until Pico had about a half dozen MMA fights. They crowned him as MMA Prospect Jesus before his FIRST fight. Boxing is way more carny than MMA and been so for more than a century, and THEY don't even do that shit.

If someone told me ten years ago that Fedor Emelianenko would be on the losing end of a fight that was something out of a KOTC DVD from the early to mid 2000s, I would say that MMA's popularity crashed so low that it was only sanctioned in countries where cockfights are legal. But it's Bellator...so kinda the same thing.

• Like 1

Just now, TheVileOne said:

Fuck, why did Fedor have to come out of retirement after his tomato can tour in Russia?  Is his alimony situation that bad?

This is just a guess but Fedor's entourage in and around the time of the Werdum loss was large as hell. Just by his answers in interviews and his personality in general, he comes off as someone who might be trying support a bunch of people financially. Manny Pacquiao has had IRS issues and whatnot, but he also has a giant entourage. Pacquiao has made way more money than Fedor, and he still has to fight so I'm not surprised Fedor had to embarrass himself by fighting on. And just like Pacquiao, his camp has not too savory people. Michael Koncz and Jerry Millen are damn near interchangeable.

• Like 1