DVDVR Message Board

Mayweather McGregor Megafight Megathread

Kevin Wilson

25 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Bets? How many, and how much?  There needs to be some documentary film maker going around finding all these McGregor betters and telling their soon to be sad ass stories.

Oh nothing for serious money. We do dollar bets and put the dollars up on our cube walls like trophies. Dude made 5 of those, all at 10:1.

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Umm...someone needs to tell that to all the people defending Conor McGregor calling Floyd "boy" and calling black fighters "dancing monkeys."  It seems to be fine and dandy to a lot of people.

Not to be that guy, but Floyd ain't helping himself after the whole All Lives Matter thing and hanging out with a noted young racist Justin Bieber. He also defended Bieber.

I'm fine with both of these guys working folks. I'm ok with blurring the lines a little even though we're crossing into some real vitriol.  Not really ok with the fence sitting on real issues.

2014 Floyd: Justin Bieber ain't no racist!

2016 Floyd: But really in the end...all lives matter.

2017 Floyd: Racism still exists.

I'm not expecting Floyd to be Khalid Muhammad, but goddamn man.

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Not to be that guy, but Floyd ain't helping himself after the whole All Lives Matter thing and hanging out with a noted young racist Justin Bieber. He also defended Bieber.

I'm fine with both of these guys working folks. I'm ok with blurring the lines a little even though we're crossing into some real vitriol.  Not really ok with the fence sitting on real issues.

This is boxing, I expect things to get a little racist.  I'm just not about to try to act like the racism isn't racist.  Mayweather walking out to fight De La Hoya in a sombrero on Cinco de Mayo may be the most absurd thing I've ever seen in sports, and was racist as the day is long.

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This is boxing, I expect things to get a little racist.  I'm just not about to try to act like the racism isn't racist.  Mayweather walking out to fight De La Hoya in a sombrero on Cinco de Mayo may be the most absurd thing I've ever seen in sports, and was racist as the day is long.

Roger did it against Chavez Sr in 89 so it ain't that absurd. That's where he got that from.

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Roger did it against Chavez Sr in 89 so it ain't that absurd. That's where he got that from.

You just typed something Roger Mayweather did and described it as "ain't that absurd."  I don't even know how to process that.

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

You just typed something Roger Mayweather did and described it as "ain't that absurd."  I don't even know how to process that.

Around the time of that fight (maybe on the broadcast), that's what they noted. To do what your uncle did 20 years prior isn't that groundbreaking. Chael Sonnen cribbing Superstar Billy Graham and Roddy Piper territory promos isn't that shocking if it's obvious where it comes from.

Also, I dunno how racist it could be since Mexican is not a race. Very insensitive to Mexicans and ridiculous? Yes. Racist? No, because most Mexicans identify as white.

11 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Around the time of that fight (maybe on the broadcast), that's what they noted. To do what your uncle did 20 years prior isn't that groundbreaking. Chael Sonnen cribbing Superstar Billy Graham and Roddy Piper territory promos isn't that shocking if it's obvious where it comes from.

But none of this stuff is new.  The thing about fight promotion is it's all the same.  These dudes who probably never met before they signed a contract to fight, have some sort of deep personal hatred.  If they are from different countries, or of a different race, you have to say something derogatory about that place or those people.  You have to get all up in the other person's face and look like you're about to fight right then and there, despite the fact that we all know that you ain't about to do shit.  Then you fight, and then you hug or shake hands and talk about how great of a fighter the other dude is like none of that other shit happened.

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

But none of this stuff is new.  The thing about fight promotion is it's all the same.  These dudes who probably never met before they signed a contract to fight, have some sort of deep personal hatred.  If they are from different countries, or of a different race, you have to say something derogatory about that place or those people.  You have to get all up in the other person's face and look like you're about to fight right then and there, despite the fact that we all know that you ain't about to do shit.  Then you fight, and then you hug or shake hands and talk about how great of a fighter the other dude is like none of that other shit happened.

Yes, it's the same structurally. However, boxing is as diverse as it gets for a niche sport or any sport for that matter and most of the major fights take place stateside. Yet, most major fights in the U.S. struggle to get a legit million dollar gate in 17,000+ seat arenas.  I just Iole tweet a possible gate between $75-$85 million. Granted one guy is the biggest star in another, separate niche sport, but there is a cognitive dissonance somewhere. There are very obvious reasons why many fights fail to galvanize paying customers, but that type of business can only be explained by the personalities involved. Ideally it is the same, but really, in this case it is not at all.

Sadly. Mayweather in a sombrero isn't the most racist thing that I've seen in sports, merely one of them. Two of my favorite wrestlers (Eddie Guerrero and Art Barr) pulled some similar shit, but hey, it's just pro rasslin, so that makes it okay, right? I'll be the first to admit that my people (the Irish) don't exactly have the best track record when it comes to race relations, but some of the shit that Conor has been spouting is just cringe-worthy. There's no place in boxing, MMA, or fucking curling for getting cheap heat based on racial slurs, it's not the 1950s anymore and there quite simply is no place for this sort of shit. That goes for Packy's homophobic bullshit as well. But you know what? As long as we (the sports fans) keep giving these assholes a pass by buying tickets the old adage of "cheap heat puts meat in the seats" is going to remain true and we've no one to blame but ourselves. I'm just one PPV buy, not much in the grand scheme of things, but I won't be giving Conor and Floyd any of my money, nor will I ever spend a dime watching Manny fight again (yeah, he apologized, but I don't believe him). Now if only 10% of the potential buys opted out it would send a pretty powerful message, and after all, Floyd/Conor would be an easy time to cut the cord as it's going to be a shitty fight anyway. ;-)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Also, I dunno how racist it could be since Mexican is not a race. Very insensitive to Mexicans and ridiculous? Yes. Racist? No, because most Mexicans identify as white.

"Racist" is quicker to type than "culturally insensitive". Seriously, maybe a new adjective is needed, as technically you are correct, but the word "racist" has become a catch-all for any hate-speech that mocks a particular culture or ethnic group. Most Mexicans do identify as white, but more importantly, they identify as Mexican, a culture to justifiably be proud of, mocking said culture has to be "racist" in nature. See, here's where we need that new word, "culturally insensitive" just doesn't have enough teeth.

7 minutes ago, OSJ said:

but the word "racist" has become a catch-all for any hate-speech that mocks a particular culture or ethnic group

And it shouldn't be because that's not what it is.

• Like 1

whether Connor is actually racist or not he's definitely riling up white supremacists online. He might as well shave his head and get a swastika tat like Ed Norton in American History X.  But we always knew race would play a part in this with some people. 

29 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

whether Connor is actually racist or not he's definitely riling up white supremacists online. He might as well shave his head and get a swastika tat like Ed Norton in American History X.  But we always knew race would play a part in this with some people. 

Dressing as an average ironic Youtube hipster blogger or 4chan/Reddit user would be more effective. The sheer amount of white supremacists online or in person don't dress like an extra from Green Room or Romper Stomper.

At this point playing the race card is the only real option they have to promote this fight.  You can't play the MMA vs Boxing card when the entire fight is based on boxing rules.  You can't play up to skill of the fighters because Connor has never professionally boxed before.    They both act the same in terms of how they treat fame and wealth.  So there you go.   And it is working in small ways.  

I assume that people who are outraged out of this choreographed banter from Connor either forgot or has never seen what Ali did to Joe Frazier in the late 60's and 70's.  that shit was over the line in any decade.

17 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

And it shouldn't be because that's not what it is.

Okay, I'm just a dumb Mick, and here's my dilemma; we can agree that "racist" is the wrong word to use unless you are specifically talking about an entire race, something that neither Mexicans or the Irish  are (we may act like it, but we're not a separate race). So what term do we use? I can't be alone in thinking that "culturally insensitive" pretty much lacks balls and sounds like social worker-speak; but what's our alternative to describe the bigoted slurring of an entire ethnic group (and if you say, "the bigoted slurring of an entire ethnic group" I am so going to slap you... ;-)

I'm starting to seriously lean toward the idea of a new adjective. I was thinking that perhaps "hate speech" would cover it, but in the case of Floyd's antics with the sombrero, he didn't actually say anything, so we can't very well call that "hate speech". Your thoughts?

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

At this point playing the race card is the only real option they have to promote this fight.  You can't play the MMA vs Boxing card when the entire fight is based on boxing rules.  You can't play up to skill of the fighters because Connor has never professionally boxed before.    They both act the same in terms of how they treat fame and wealth.  So there you go.   And it is working in small ways.  

I assume that people who are outraged out of this choreographed banter from Connor either forgot or has never seen what Ali did to Joe Frazier in the late 60's and 70's.  that shit was over the line in any decade.

I think there is both inherent and unforeseen problems on both sides of the coin even if both guys are might be in on. I think you almost have to put Ali's rhetoric on Frazier and Liston (Foreman probably as well if he didn't have admiration for Ali) specifically it's own category because it's a black man and another black man as unfair as it may sound. I think the real sting that comes from the Ali ones is that Frazier helped Ali get back into back and helped him financially. It also doesn't help that Philadelphia has a statue of a fictional boxer and not their most prominent, real life heavyweight boxer. The same goes for Liston because as champ, he was vilified by whites and was a man without a home. With Conor and Floyd, even if they hug it out and clearly have a little respect for each other as businessmen, it's hard to walk back racial comments even if the target doesn't give a shit. For as much as they tried to paint George Foreman as a aloof oaf during the leadup to the Rumble in the Jungle, he saw Ali as just trying to agitate him. I don't think he perceived it as the clear colorism that it was. However, if someone like say Gerrie Coetzee from South Africa did what Ali did, Foreman would have tried to make sure he left on a spineboard and every black person in the world would have felt it was justified if he actually did that. When you decide to work any angle or shoot, you have to also be considerate of the audience and just not the compensated parties involved. 

31 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Okay, I'm just a dumb Mick, and here's my dilemma; we can agree that "racist" is the wrong word to use unless you are specifically talking about an entire race, something that neither Mexicans or the Irish  are (we may act like it, but we're not a separate race). So what term do we use? I can't be alone in thinking that "culturally insensitive" pretty much lacks balls and sounds like social worker-speak; but what's our alternative to describe the bigoted slurring of an entire ethnic group (and if you say, "the bigoted slurring of an entire ethnic group" I am so going to slap you... ;-)

I'm starting to seriously lean toward the idea of a new adjective. I was thinking that perhaps "hate speech" would cover it, but in the case of Floyd's antics with the sombrero, he didn't actually say anything, so we can't very well call that "hate speech". Your thoughts?

It's way, way closer to satire ala The Three Amigos than actual hate speech. Brock Lesnar is the whitest man walking planet earth and got away with wearing a sombrero and doing a weird mariachi dance on television.  If anyone comes away from either scenario thinking either one hates Mexicans (even if one is shoot or the other is in a worked environment), I dunno what to tell that person. Now the person who greenlit the Mexicools riding lawnmowers, that person clearly doesn't a give a shit about Mexican people. I'm fine with anyone being mad at that person, even with the best of intentions, is doing their best to straddle the line between satire and stereotyping.

I'm amazed there are actually people who think Connor is going to win. This would be like if the New England Patriots played a rugby match against the New Zealand All Blacks and people thought the Patriots had a shot. It's just insane.

41 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I'm amazed there are actually people who think Connor is going to win. This would be like if the New England Patriots played a rugby match against the New Zealand All Blacks and people thought the Patriots had a shot. It's just insane.

Agreed.  Now if people think the Blacks can beat the Patriots in American football, I see nothing wrong with that argument.

I'm putting money on Connor, but I expect to lose it all.  If he does win by some fluke or miracle, I'll be well off.

Am I the only person who thought his dancing monkeys comment was a shout-out to this:

giphy.gif

I am?   Just checking.

On 13/07/2017 at 9:36 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

So when Mexicans say "Viva la Raza" they're actually talking about all white people?

5 hours ago, OSJ said:

Okay, I'm just a dumb Mick, and here's my dilemma; we can agree that "racist" is the wrong word to use unless you are specifically talking about an entire race, something that neither Mexicans or the Irish  are (we may act like it, but we're not a separate race).

Depends on how you define Race. The Irish are mostly descended from the Celts, which is a completely different tribe to most of the other European peoples, except for the several thousand years of continental migration and cross-breeding and that. Not to mention the Spanish Armada.

Or people can stop over analyzing this stuff and take the three corks out of their ass and realize these two ass clowns are going be splitting an obscene amount of money for something that is going to be an abhorrent shit show.  I wouldn't be surprised if the two of them are laughing their asses off about this when the cameras aren't on them

• Like 5